Easy questions... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Easy questions...

what are clip-ons

what are frame sliders?

whats tankslap?

Last edited by dash; 12-23-2001 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:07 PM

Clip ons are bars/grips that 'clip' onto the fork legs directly, usually below the tripple clamp. This is instead or a bent bar that runs across and is atttached to the top of the tripple clamp.

Examples, clip ons=R1, old style bent bar=SV650 (S model has clip ons)

Frame sliders are the best 50 bucks spent in sportriding. They are hard plastic tubes which are mounted to the frame/engine head. Sometimes requires drilling holes in the bodywork to mount. They stick out far enough to take the weight of the bike in a fall and wear down slowly so that in a sliding accident the bodywork takes much much less damage. I just bought some and if I had them a year and a half ago they would have saved me too much money to say out loud.

Tankslap is when the front of the bike is light (usually coming out of a corner) and the radical geometry of sportbikes makes the front end oscilate violently. This is sometimes so violent that the bars actually hit the tank on either side back and forth repeatedly. The exact defn is too much to explain here but the solution is a steering damper if you experience this a lot and you're sure it isn't being caused by loose forks/bad tires/many other things in the front end that require maintanence. If this happens to you just get real light on the bars because fighting it makes it worse. Beyond that the racers here will have to tell you more on how to handle it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

sorry, still dont get clipons, whats the triple clamp?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 05:32 PM

From memory of my old F2 (Shirley). God rest her soul.

Sit on your bike. Put the key in the ignition. Now, under your hand. You see that flat piece of metal running left to right about 8 inches wide (side to side of the bike)? It should have a little depressed area the size of a stamp with the Honda logo in it? That is the upper triple clamp. Provides upper support for the forks which stick up out of the triple.

Forks are the shafts that go from the wheel to the triple clamp for suspension. You prolly know that but just to prep for the clip on explanation.
Clip-ons. You know the bars that rubber handles are on? The "handle bars"? Well, clip ons replace the metal bars inside the rubber grips and the metal block that is attached to the fork. Clip-ons are actually 2 parts, the bars and the chunk that slips onto the forks. Clip-ons allow you to replace the bar that the controls are attached to. If you wreck, hopefully, only the bar will break/bend and can be replaced quicker and cheaper than a stock bar.

you are correct
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clipon.jpg (13.2 KB, 94 views)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 05:37 PM

Shot of a triple clamp on a bike, and the clip ons which are the "handle bars". The triple clamp is just to the right of (in the picture) where the key is. That flat piece of metal.
Any questions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakeside.jpg (82.4 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by funksouljon; 12-23-2001 at 05:39 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

finally

geez, took me long enough. the pictures help a lot man thanks. by the sound of the name "clip-on" i would have thought it was an easy install. i dont know at all, but it looks more involved than "clipping something on." thanks jon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

other stuff

just wondering where to get clip-ons and how much i should expect to pay. also would any of you have a picture of frame sliders? thanks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 03:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Re: finally

Quote:
Originally posted by dash
geez, took me long enough. the pictures help a lot man thanks. by the sound of the name "clip-on" i would have thought it was an easy install. i dont know at all, but it looks more involved than "clipping something on." thanks jon
they are easy to put on (if you have ones like on the f2 that sit above the triple, below is more work).

unscrew the swicth gear and the clucth and brake levers, and the bar-ends.

take off the old ones. loosely mount everything. adjust to liking. tighten.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 04:00 AM

This is where my frame sliders are from and I think I'll get some swing arm sliders too sometime soon. Just move around the site a little and you'll get an idea of what the sliders are for and look like.

www.inturace.com

after you enter the site, on the main page about halfway down on the right there's a blue gsxr[? didn't look THAT hard] in blue with white frame sliders poking out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 04:17 AM

Re: Easy questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by dash
whats tankslap?
Don't worry about it...if it happens to you, suddenly a light will pop on in yur head, and you'll realize "hey, I think this is a tankslapper!"
For one in action, see 'Tank slapper at the Isle of Man TT' at
http://www.bikepics.com/bikemovies/accidents/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode