We Need This In The States!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Question We Need This In The States!!!

I just noticed this article on Motorcyclenews.com. I think it's great that this is going into effect over there, now we just need it over here! What do you all think???

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...umentID=116521
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 06:58 AM

I have always said that if everyone rode a bike on the road for a year it would make them a better car driver. But then again there are plenty idiots and it doesnt matter whether they are on a car or bike they are still a danger.
When I met my wife I told her a few things to watch out for when driving as far as bikes are concerned ie not throwing lit cigarettes out of the car window (She has stopped smoking now) , Using window washers when there is a bike behind etc etc She had never thought of such things But as any biker will tell you it is not pleasant to have lit cigarettes thrown at you or have your visor soaked by someone in front scooshing the window.
This video is a good idea but it still wont go the whole way to improving car drivers skills as far as bikes are concerned but every little helps
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by naefearjustbeer
This video is a good idea but it still wont go the whole way to improving car drivers skills as far as bikes are concerned but every little helps
I think it's more than simply a video. It seems to me that it's interactive, as in there is something displayed to the person being tested and they actually have to react to it in some type of simulator or possibly a closed course test.

I know this isn't going to stop all motorcycle/car accidents, but I am positive that it would improve things drastically over here in the states. I don't know what it's like where you're from and what kind of testing is required. I know that in the states, motorcycles are nary a thought when taking driver training. If motorcycl;es were simply introduced to people in driver training, I think it would be an improvement. There are so many individuals who don't ever even consider motorcycles when driving, and don't know what to look for etc. What you did with your wife was great, but it's the 350 million people in America that scare me because they haven't heard the things you've told your wife.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 11:48 AM

Can you see me or am I invizable?

YES Any thing and every thing that makes Drivers more aware of us is a good thing. Education, Videos,Tests to see if they are brain dead, what ever it takes. I get sooo tired of there same old tired excuse I didn't seeee him. Make the penalties much stiffer too.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 01:34 PM

In this country the training required to get a motorcycle licence is huge compared to a car licence. It is ridiculous that car drivers can get on the road so much easier.

Basically over here at 16 year old you can sit your Compulsory Basic Training (A full day on and off road training with an Authorised training centre) before you can get on the road. once you have sat this you can ride a 50cc moped restricted to 30mph with L plates on it.
At 17 you can ride a 125 cc bike restricted to 12bhp after you have sat your CBT. you then have to sit a written test and your part2 test before you can ride a bigger bike . Once passed your part2 test you are restricted to a bike with 33bhp or less for 2 years, You can buy any bike you want and get a restrictor kit fitted. Imagine a 33bhp 996!!!!
At 21 years old if you have had a full car licence for 3 years you can ride a 125cc (12bhp) after you have sat your CBT. Once you have passed your written test, then pass your part2 test on a 500cc bike you can then ride any size / power bike that you wish . If you pass your test on a 125cc 12bhp bike you are restricted for 2 years to 33bhp
Complicated Huh!!!!!
In theory you are getting a good training for the road.

Now to get a car licence at 17 years old all you do is put L plates on your car and away you go with a co driver(someone over 21 with a full licence for at least 3 years). The only restriction to the type of car you drive is the insurance you can afford to pay for. You have to pass a written test and a practical driving test to drive without a co driver and L plates. There is no requirement to take any lessons by an approved instructer to get your licence you can get a friend to teach you how to drive

Is it any wonder car drivers cause so much damage. I believe that car drivers should face the same compulsary basic training before they are allowed on the open road and have the same scaled power restrictions once they pass there driving test.

Last edited by naefearjustbeer; 12-21-2001 at 01:37 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 08:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Re: Can you see me or am I invizable?

YES! I've been thinking this very same thing. It's a good... no, an EXCELLENT idea!

Quote:
Originally posted by 97M2CYCO
... I didn't seeee him...
Back in '98, I had my ZX-9R for 4 weeks, 800 miles on her. I was in traffic, moving at a mild pace, high beams on, and I could definately see "the girl's" face (so she could definately see me).

Needless to say, she had a bumper scratch, and I had $7,500 worth of damages. And yes, "I didn't seeee him."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode