Cops suck - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Cops suck

Me and Bluekawi were riding east on the US 60, heading for canyon. We pass a motorcycle cop on the side of the road, he was just getting on his bike, and didn't even have his helmet on yet. We weren't really speeding. Neither of us have speedometers, so were just going with traffic. A few miles later, he comes flying up behind us, throws on his lights, and pulls us both over. We pull over side by side, and he pulls over 100 feet farther down the road. He turns around, and signals us both to pull up to him. I'm thinking to myself "Your kinda new to this whole 'Traffic stop' thing aren't you?" We pull up, dismount, and he informs us that he stopped us cause he couldn't see our plates as we passed him miles earlier. Both of us have our plates mounted underneath the tail with our trunks removed. He cites us both (not a fix-it ticket, a full citation) for "License plate attachement." I checked the A.R.S. as soon as I got home, and it states that the plate must be clearly visible. It doesn't state, as the officer said, that it must be visible from the side. I think this will be an easy fight.

Now for the funny part. We all mount up. The officer looks at us like he's waiting for us to go first. Naturally, we conceded that privilege to him . He then dismounts, and starts pushing his bike. He had to push start it. I start laughing my ass off, and he looks right at me. Now, you wanna see something funny, its watching a cop push his bike down the side of the freeway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 10:22 AM

Talking re cops suck

still LMFAO! What an ass that cop must of looked like.. and let me guess what brand of M.C. he was riding..Hope you beat the ticket you should!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 10:40 AM

LOL! funny story. Ill bet you win too

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 11:40 AM

Question Answered

Kevlar

I guess that answered your question about the plate. I remember the night we met up and you had just "hidden" your plate and we were wondering if you we legal or not.

Sorry to hear you have to waste a day in court, but good luck.

Jeff
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 12:01 PM

As long as your license plate mounting meets these requirements I'd say you can win that ticket fight easily.

28-2354. License plates; attachment

A. A person shall display the license plate or plates as follows:

1. For a motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer or semitrailer, on the rear.

2. For a vehicle for which two license plates are issued, the vehicle owner shall display either of the following:

(a) One plate on the rear.

(b) One plate on the front and one plate on the rear.

B. A person shall display all license plates as required by subsection A until their lawful use expires or is canceled or revoked. A person shall maintain each license plate so it is clearly legible. A person shall securely fasten each license plate to the vehicle as follows:

1. To prevent the plate from swinging.

2. At a height of at least twelve inches from the ground to the bottom of the plate.

3. In a position to be clearly visible.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 12:15 PM

Chicken S**T Ticket

Hey that sucks, I never wrote a ticket like that. Fight it for sure you should have no problem. If you want any court ethics advise let me know, I spent a lot of time there. Its gonna be funny when the cop shows up in court for that ticket and all the others are there for drugs, thefts, dui's and useful stuff.
Remember if a MC Cop swings his leg of the bike your getting a ticket. They have contests. They are all old veterens of the force and are very bitter. I knew a guy in my old unit who won a trip to Vegas and a mountain bike for the most cites in a four day stretch.

Good Luck!!!

Doug
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 01:55 PM

Re: Chicken S**T Ticket

Quote:
Originally posted by dgnas
Remember if a MC Cop swings his leg of the bike your getting a ticket. They have contests. They are all old veterens of the force and are very bitter. I knew a guy in my old unit who won a trip to Vegas and a mountain bike for the most cites in a four day stretch.

Good Luck!!!

Doug
Gee, that just renforces my beleif in the LAW, and Justice....

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Re: Chicken S**T Ticket

Quote:
Originally posted by dgnas
Hey that sucks, I never wrote a ticket like that. Fight it for sure you should have no problem. If you want any court ethics advise let me know, I spent a lot of time there. Its gonna be funny when the cop shows up in court for that ticket and all the others are there for drugs, thefts, dui's and useful stuff.

Good Luck!!!

Doug

I plan on remounting my plate in the stock location, and taking a picture of it, along with a picture in its current location, and a picture through the windshield of a car 130 feet behind the bike (aproximately the appropriate following distance for 60 MPH) to show that the plate IS clear (although you really can't read it at that distance, its too far away). I'm gonna say, "In a show of good faith, I moved the plate back to its stock location, but I would like this ticket dismissed because......"
I'm also contemplating asking the judge if I might enter a comment in the record after the scentence has been pronounced. Something along the lines of suggesting that the officer should weigh his options more carefully. Exceeding the speed limit by 20 MPH for several miles is far more dangerous to the citzens on these roads then my plate being unreadable from the side.

I really have had enough of Police officers feeling that they are above the law. We should start taking the streets back. File a complaint EVERY time you see an officer do something wrong. In my opinion, speeding without his pursuit lights on is TOTALLY wrong. Police officers are employed by us taxpayers. We hire them to protect us. Sometimes that means they have to "remind" us good citzens to obey the traffic laws. Sometimes they have to take liberties with the laws in order to enforce them. Traveling 80+ mph through heavy traffic is not a justifiable utilization of that liberty. Especially when the end result was getting a couple of license plates remounted. If we were somehow endangering those around us, then I could understand his haste. I feel that this officer, and just about every other one, needs a reminder of who they work for. If any of my employees behaved even REMOTELY the way police officers behave, they would be out of a job before they could blink an eye.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

heres a pic

Heres a pic of the bike, I just went outside and took it. This picture was taken from 27 feet from the rear tire, at a height of about 6 feet. As you can see, the plate is CLEARLY visible (its not readable cause of the flash) Moving back another 100 feet will not change the fact that the plate is clearly visible. It also lit with a white lite. What do you guys think? can I beat this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc200001.jpg (214.6 KB, 260 views)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 03:36 PM

Ticket

Sounds Good, Look into the agencies persuit policy in the General orders and see what the authorized non code 3 top speed is.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode