Recent crash getting me flak. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Recent crash getting me flak.

Iam a young guy of 25 with a 2 year old kid. I've devoted all my time and finaces available to me to my son for the last two years.(not complaining theres nothing more important to me in the world).
So recently I purchased a 2002 R6, just so you know Iam a newbie rider first bike and I know that it may be considered outta my league but I loved it when I saw it and just had to have it.
So while riding with some friends (who are more experienced riders) I went wide in a 30 mph turn and ended up in the dirt losing control of my bike and going over the handlebars. Thankfully Im not hurt outside of a bruised hip and a pinched nerve in my left a$$cheek.
I dont feel I was exceeding my skill I just miscalculated the turn I was only doing about 45mph. But everyone keeps ragging me telling me to get rid of my bike and just because I have only 500 miles on my bike that Im going to end up killing myself.
I basiclly told them to f off but it still erks me.
Well I guess I'm just looking for support in my endeaver as its hard to find here. I know I'm not a great rider yet but I want to at least try to get good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 06:54 AM

Re: Recent crash getting me flak.

Quote:
Originally posted by R6inator

I dont feel I was exceeding my skill I just miscalculated the turn I was only doing about 45mph.
Skill level is only partly comprised of your ability to ride. The bigger part of skill level is your ability to calculate the inputs, and process the environment your in. So if you miscalculated the turn, then you were exceeding your skill level. It's a common mistake made by new riders..and old ones too....

Does this mean you should give up riding? No...but it does mean you need to slow down and think about what your doing a little better.

Did you take a beginner rider course? if you didn't then I would suggest you do before you spend another minute on the R6. That bike is a bitch for a first bike...it isn't as forgiving as some other 600's and without the proper training, you're increasing your chances of getting hurt or killed on it or any other bike..

Just some food for thought.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 06:58 AM

I don't think you should have to sell your bike but I do think that you should be more careful and ride with in your abilities. It seems like you were trying to keep up with the riders of higher skill but because of lack of experience, you wrecked. Personally I would say your responsibilties are with your child. Ideally you wouldn't put your childs growth into an adult at risk by riding a motorcycle at all, but this isn't an ideal world. I would say that you should just take it easier. It's hard, especially when those competitive juices get flowing. I think your friends just don't want you to orphan your kid over 1 days worth of thrills on a motorcycle. Start off slowly....the learning curve for a bike is real strange in that you begin to feel comfortable quickly but your ability to deal with a crisis situation doesn't come for months or perhaps years down the line. Sounds like a crisis came up (coming into a corner too hot) and you weren't sure how to deal with it. Give it time and hang back from your experienced friends.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Recent crash getting me flak.

Quote:
Originally posted by RedNinja

Skill level is only partly comprised of your ability to ride. The bigger part of skill level is your ability to calculate the inputs, and process the environment your in. So if you miscalculated the turn, then you were exceeding your skill level. It's a common mistake made by new riders..and old ones too....

Does this mean you should give up riding? No...but it does mean you need to slow down and think about what your doing a little better.

Did you take a beginner rider course? if you didn't then I would suggest you do before you spend another minute on the R6. That bike is a bitch for a first bike...it isn't as forgiving as some other 600's and without the proper training, you're increasing your chances of getting hurt or killed on it or any other bike..

Just some food for thought.
Ya you are right no matter how much I dont want to say it. IT WAS MY FAULT. And I suppose I began to think I was better than I acctually am, motorcycles are funny that way.
I am unable to take a basic course till February,suxs living in SOCAL,but I dont want to garage her for 3 months till I get in the course.
I suppose I'll just tell my friends that I wont be riding with them for awhile unless they want to take it slow and follow me. When they get in front of me I notice I go faster than I probably normally would evan though I still try to check myself. I'm just glad that my first experiene with a [email protected]#k up wasnt one that will leave to much permanant damage other than to reminding me TO TAKE IT SLOW.

P/S: I just want to say that my first gear jacket and Arai helmet exceeded any expectations during this crash.My helmet cracked on the ground 3 times before I came to a stop yet I felt nothing other than the impact and my jacket outside of being scuffed looks like I just bought it.
Im keeping the jacket and getting another Arai...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 07:25 AM

Well it sounds like you are approaching this from the right perspective. I wouldn't say don't go out and ride before you get in that class, but I would say to choose who you ride with and where you carefully...peer pressure is probably one of the biggest causes of wrecks for new riders too...you think you can follow that guy blasting through the twisties, but in reality you don't have the time in the saddle to have a skill level like that...definately hunt around to see if you can get on a standby list for the class...most places have one...

Good luck to you!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 07:27 AM

Here's a couple of thoughts, not meant to be ugly... just to think about:

"I've devoted all my time and finaces available to me to my son for the last two years (not complaining theres nothing more important to me in the world).... So recently I purchased a 2002 R6..."

If your son is now 2 yrs old, that means you only have about 16 more years to go... not that you have earned a break that takes you off the hook now, somehow. You don't mention a mom, so I guess you are the sole provider for him? If so, this is what is called a "responsibility" and you have to deal with it. How will your son be supported if you are not there? You landed on your butt this time but that's luck, not skill. What if it was your neck and "Bingo, you're a quad now!" You have life insurance, I hope?

"I dont feel I was exceeding my skill I just miscalculated the turn..."

To me, if I crash, I exceeded my skill (unless somebody else just flat runs over me).
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 07:49 AM
PJ1

Shame on your "friends" for not concidering your skill level on your ride. When I ride with a newbie I definatly take it easy. I mean the more the marrier when it comes to motorcycling and we don't want the new guys to crash and give up the sport all together. When riding with a group it is the responcibility of the lead rider to keep speeds to a comfortable level for all in the group. If there is a wide range of ability levels then pick a spot to meet up, if the "Fast guys" want to get ahead. Don't get discouraged just because you had a fall. You seem to be OK and your bike can be fixed. In the future if the group gets ahead don't crash trying to keep up. Pick a rider you can trust not to lead you to quickly and learn from him/her.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 08:12 AM

This seems to be a very common dilemma. Juggling responsibility with living life. I agree that your friends should have been more considerate to your skill level, but with bikes it appears that you allways have to approach things as if it's going to be your fault no matter what. If somebody hits you with their car and is clearly in the wrong, knowing that will be small consolation if you are paralyzed or dead.

Oh yeah. If it were me, I'd keep ridin' (more carefully). But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by tigertex; 12-19-2001 at 08:16 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Joss
Here's a couple of thoughts, not meant to be ugly... just to think about:

If your son is now 2 yrs old, that means you only have about 16 more years to go... not that you have earned a break that takes you off the hook now, somehow. You don't mention a mom, so I guess you are the sole provider for him? If so, this is what is called a "responsibility" and you have to deal with it. How will your son be supported if you are not there? You landed on your butt this time but that's luck, not skill. What if it was your neck and "Bingo, you're a quad now!" You have life insurance, I hope?

Acctually his mother is around we are seperated but I still see them both everyday. I understand my responsibilty to my son and nothing would crush me more than to not be the father I need to be for him.I just enjoy riding and I dont want to be talked into giving it up because I made a mistake that I dont plan on making again ever.I admit I wasnt staying in my comfort zone but needless to say I learned and lived so now I only want to get better.

By the way thancks for all the advice and support I wont take it like anyones raggin on me its just opinions and evan if I dont really want to hear I should still listen because hey someones been there and done that.Better to learn than not know.

Thanks all.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 08:14 AM

My opinion is that for a new rider, group riding is not the way to go. The only exception is when the more experienced riders are willing to let the new rider lead. My recommendation would be solo rides until you are familiar and comfortable with maneuvering a motorcycle. I think by riding alone in the beginning, you remove both the conscious and unconcious desire to "keep up" "go fast" "don't wan't to hold up my buddies." You can then learn at your own pace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode