Trusting bike/yourself - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Trusting bike/yourself

I dont exactly know what my question is but im sure you guys have enough experience to know what im feeling. I dont think its a question of how long but how do you get to the point of trusting your bike/yourself on the bike etc... Im pretty comfortable as it is and i havent been riding long but theres limits that i wont pass like leaning that little bit farther in a turn, rolling on the throttle more as i come out, or the hundreds of other situations there are out there. I want to be good but i dont want to screw up thinkin im hotshot. Also things like trusting the tires.. how you can tell whether theyre slipping or not. Theres been a few occasions where im in some turns and the bike feels like its leaning itself/rear tire is sliding slightly. Not sure exactly how to describe it. It only felt like that on lefts where i would lean in more.

I'm sure i'll have plenty of reading to do after you guys see this post. Thanks for your inputs guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 09:42 PM

I bought a race bike this spring and it took me 5 track events to get used to it, only about 4 session each track day. I switched from a GS500 to GSXR750 race bike so it was a big jump for me. I think if the I had bikes that were closer it might have taken less time. Also if the bike was street legal I would have been more comfortable at the track faster.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 01:17 AM

With time comes speed and confidence. Just be patient. Do a track day and you will improve beyond your expectations and have the best riding day of your life.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 10:32 AM

You'll be happy to know to improve your skills all you have to do is ride! Ride lots and lots, if you feel nervous, pay attention and ride more!

Try it...........You'll like it!
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 11:01 AM

Ride at a pace you feel comfortable at, dont pay attention to people who say you can go round this corner at 100mph or 120mph Ride at the speed that you are comfortable at. Slowly yourconfidence in yourself and the bike will increase and you will ride faster and smoother and safer. Any idiot can jump on a bike and ride it flat out on a straight piece of road.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 11:13 AM

Get leathers and premium tires (207's) and go practice. I can tell you that a clean road and 207's will take you all the way to the pegs and knee sliders. It's a matter of realizing the bike will do it while wearing good gear in case you fuc it up. Happy riding.

PS- never ever ever ever ever (get it) ride at someone elses pace. Ride within your comfort zone. Track days are a great cheap (www.hyperclub.la, do the streets course first though) way to go someplace safe to practice.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 11:45 AM
PJ1

I think most will agree that you will improve your riding skills at a faster rate and much more safely at a roadrace track. Under a controlled enviornment with instuctors (controll riders) you can experiment with lean angles and braking without the danger of traffic and risking costly tickets. Enrolling in a riding school is another way to gain valuable instruction from experts. However, schools are sometimes expensive and you have limited track time as compaired to track days depending on which school you choose. Take the time to set your bike up with decent tires and remember traction and suspension before horsepower. Invest in the proper gear and get out there and start dragin the knees.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 11:53 AM

Talking

Just to add to the already great advice..the only way to get better is to go a bit faster/more lean angle, but in small incriments, don't try going from, no knee draggin to trying to wear out a set of pucks in 3 hrs...you do have to push yourself, but slowly..and when you feel it's right..

Apex touched on a important subject...good tires, and gear, I agree, try to get some new tires, once they are scrubbed in, they will..stick better, and also inspire conficence to lean a bit more..

And get out there and RIDE...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 01:03 PM

Nemesis, get yourself to a riding school ASAP. Keith Code and Reg Pridmore hold schools at the Streets of Willow Springs, which is a blast to ride and great for learning. Take both schools if you can afford it. If not, take Reg Pridmore's school. You'll get a lot more track time and I'll be there to take photos so you can prove to your friends/family that you were on the track.

Reg also has a couple of schools planned at California Raceway in Arpil. Check out his web site: http://www.classrides.com

Keith's site is http://www.superbikeschool.com

If you take Code's school you'll learn a lot, including the most dangerous line through a corner, which is the reason I recommend Pridmore's school over Code's school. Not trying to start a flame war here, but I had several close calls on tracks last summer when people went into corners way too wide and then cut across my bow to the apex. The common denominator? They had all just taken Code's school.

Be forewarned though, riding on the track is addictive.

A little over a year ago I was in the same situtaion you're in. I bought a motorcycle after five years with no bike, and did not feel comfortable with my skills, partially from several close calls years earlier. I enrolled in Code's school, Pridmore's school, and the DP Safety School. My first time on the track, following the instructor around on the siting laps, was sheer terror combined with total joy.

Now, after 17 schools and track days in 14 months, I'm much more comfortable and way faster (24 seconds at the Streets! woo hoo!). I can even get my knee down without scaring myself.

The problem? Doing 100+ mph on the track doesn't scare me at all. That's fun. Well, except for the time my tires went off and I got into a major front end slide at 95 mph through Turn 1 at Thunderhill. But I had enough instruction that I knew what to do. As Jason Pridmore tells his students, "Never give up on a corner."

Commuting to work on my bike scares the hell out of me though. Too many crazed cagers with cell phones out there.

Last edited by photobug; 12-15-2001 at 01:17 PM.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 01:40 PM

Regarding doing schools, and track days..how much quicker, given an average rider, would they advance in their riding technice, and improve their speed..ect..

I've never taken a school, and I haven't been on a track in 25 yrs..
I do think opinions on what sort of a learning curve to expect vs not doing either one, would be interesting..anyone..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

Last edited by Hammer 4; 12-15-2001 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode