New MSF Instructor - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

New MSF Instructor

Hey all, I forgot to mention.
3 weeks ago I finished the MSF Instructor course. I ended up with strep throat near the end of the class and passed out due to dehydration on the last day. I passed out at home, not in front of the class. Just in front of my brother, who enjoyed the show very much. I didn't even get off the ground before the "Help, I've fallen and can't get up" jokes started. Little fukker!
So anyways, I am now a certified MSF Instructor. It pays okay, but I decided I wanted to do it cause it would be fun to teach newbies how to ride. Help someone else experiance into the pasttime that I love so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:41 PM
Dad

Congratulations! Nice of you to help out with some new guys.

Do they acknowledge a danger point after a little experience is acquired? Maybe around 3,000+ miles. That's a little personal observation of mine but never had it confirmed as valid. Maybe it's a quirk from too small of a sample.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:21 PM

Sheesh, they must be pretty desparate.

Good for you, it's great to have folks who are passionate about riding, rather than the anal-propellor-head types that marvel at citing death statistics.

With your humor, I'm sure you'll be an excellent instructor and remember, you will very likely save peoples lives because of your efforts. Heavy thought, eternal rewards.

Be well.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:20 AM

Thumbs up

certifiable now huh?

congrats!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:28 AM
Retired Moderator

Congratulations Jon!
Maybe you can teach some of us how to ride?
No seriously, this is really something important, and a great responsibility. No wheelies or endos when they can see you

Aris
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
Congratulations! Nice of you to help out with some new guys.

Do they acknowledge a danger point after a little experience is acquired? Maybe around 3,000+ miles. That's a little personal observation of mine but never had it confirmed as valid. Maybe it's a quirk from too small of a sample.
They next time I'm in Florida I'll be sure to attend one of your instructed classes. I promise you'll never have a student like me
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:55 AM

Now there are going to be a lot of riders riding ducks and speeding off into the sunset. We are in a lot of trouble!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 08:11 AM

I hope more sport bike riders become instructors. When I took the class, they were all Harley people. It would have been nice to get an instructor with a different perspective on things.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 01:50 PM

Good job Jon. A good friend of mine passed the course and he says it is a tough one. I want to take the course myself someday. I miss the classroom.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The class wasn't too hard, but definitely took work. The absolute hardest thing was to stop riding with my "bad" habits. You know, use 4 fingers on front brake. Use rear brake. You are going too fast, you are going too slow. Stop locking the front tire up!
I agree about more sportbike riders being instructors. Mine was a harley rider, he was awesome, but we have a different perspective on riding I think. One thing I don't like is we were taught not to try scare tactics about riding gear etc. Might scare them away from riding etc. Well, I think that would be great. I would rather scare away people who don't use proper gear. Better for all of us.
Kind of fun watching my first class ever. Had a couple people who couldn't even walk the bike in neutral. Eventually got the hang of it and finished the class.
Most of the people in the class are 30-40s. Feels weird teach people that much my senior, but......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode