Braking while turning. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Question Braking while turning.

I learned in my MSF course that when you are taking a corner and you need to stop the first thing to do is straighten the bike out and then apply the brakes. You will get max braking effectiveness and you won't crash by grabing the front brake while turning. This makes perfect sense and it is the technique I use when I need to stop while I am turning.

So my question is this, for all the experienced riders out there are there other more advance ways of stoping the bike when leaning? Do you use just the rear brake to slow you down until you can straighten out and then apply the front brake? Do you use some front brake and just don't grab a lot of front brake? Does it depend on the road conditions? Sometimes I find myself using a little front brake while leaning if the road is completely dry. Basically what do you do to stop your bike while taking a corner? I need to know if I am taking a corner so hard my pegs are scraping and I see something in the road and need to stop quick, do I have to straighten up all the way before I touch the brakes?

Thank you in advance,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 03:49 AM

Any real hard braking action that becomes necessary in a turn is a good indication that you're in way over your head. If there is an object in the road, you're probably better off just steering to avoid it. The stuff they go over in MSF will work fine at normal road speeds. Not much use going 70 around a 35 though.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 03:55 AM

If I have to use any brake in a corner (I try to avoid it, but it happens sometimes) I tend to use the front brake, its a lot easier to control then the rear brake. I keep my toe away from that rear brake cause its too easy to lock it up. I do use both brakes if I have to brake to set up for the corner.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:06 AM

You cannot bring your bike to a complete stop when your are in a turn without falling over. The only way to come to a stop and not tip over is to have your bike straight. The MSF course teaches the stand the bike up then apply brake method because it is the safest most effective way to STOP your bike.

Of course you can apply brakes while in a turn like you said you have done(trail braking) But this requires much more control and smoothness to keep your bike from loosing traction. More lean = less traction, so the further your leaned over the less brakes you can use safely. Generally using the rear brake while in turn will keep the bike settled and more stable than using the front brakes in a turn. There is not trick to stopping fast while leaned over because you can't do it. You have to straighten the bike to stop. The best you can do while leaned over into a turn is smooth gradual sowing by using the brakes lightly.

If you are encountering situations where you are scraping your pegs and you have to stop fast then you are riding WAY too fast for those conditions. It's time to go to the track.

Last edited by sportcycles; 12-10-2001 at 04:08 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rug Burn
Any real hard braking action that becomes necessary in a turn is a good indication that you're in way over your head. If there is an object in the road, you're probably better off just steering to avoid it. The stuff they go over in MSF will work fine at normal road speeds. Not much use going 70 around a 35 though.
Good point!

Thank you for the replies, sounds like the overall consensus is what I had thought, if I am leaned over in a turn (going pretty fast) then I am going to be shit out of luck if I see something in the road that I have to stop for. Guess I will have to look into a track day, or find roads that have open sweepers wear I can look far into the corner. Thank you for the help guys!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 06:53 AM

You can brake coming in to the apex but don't load up that front tire too much cause you'll learn a valuable lesson.

do a search on "Trail braking".
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 06:57 AM

Re: Braking while turning.

Quote:
Originally posted by fotobw
II need to know if I am taking a corner so hard my pegs are scraping and I see something in the road and need to stop quick, do I have to straighten up all the way ....
if you're that far gone don't bother straightening up, that way it'll be easier to kiss your ass goodbye.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 07:08 AM

Re: Braking while turning.

I need to know if I am taking a corner so hard my pegs are scraping and I see something in the road and need to stop quick, do I have to straighten up all the way before I touch the brakes?

Thank you in advance,
Dave [/B][/QUOTE]

Trust me. If you lean more and hit both brakes hard, you'll stop even quicker.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 07:32 AM

Thumbs up

yelling AHHHH! helps... mouth wide open will act like a parachute...
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 08:26 AM

From my expierience on braking mid corner be carefull. The first time i grabbed a handfull of brake mid corner was a kinda scary
i had gone into a corner way to fast. Pannicked and grabbed onto the front brake real hard. The bike stood up and went straight off the road between two bollards!!! Phew that was close i bounced and jumped a small ditch and for some reason managed to stay on 2 wheels. Put it down to expierience and learn from my mistakes. . I have since learned that my bike will handle a lot more than i thought back then and is perfectly able to corner at the speed i was going it is just that i did not know it at the time. Now adays i would react slightly differently. I have more confidence in myself and my bike. I also know not to grab large handfulls of brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode