Tires? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Rio

Tires?

I was watching Speedvision today, and they were talking about the Dunlp 207RR. Which appearantly is race compound with street traction. I ride a 2001 R1, and I know I don't ride the bike anywhere near it's full potential. But would something like this be beneficial? The tread on my bike is getting pretty thin, and it will need new tires by next season. I've not experienced a problem with the stock tires that came on the bike, and I have no experiences with other brands to compare their performance to. To give you an idea of the roads I'm riding, I'm located in central Indiana. Nothing incredibly twisty, but we have our share of twisty country roads.

Also, what is a good tire pressure for the front and back tire? I've been reading between 30 and 36 psi is best. It also seems that people keep their front tire a bit lower in pressure than their rear tire. Is this for handling purposes?

As always, thank you for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 06:25 PM

I don't know what you're paying out there but at chapparel I can get a pair of 207 ZR (read carefully, not the RR) for 210 installed (wheels off the bike). I imagine the RR will run somewhere close to 100 bucks a set more. In my experience the 207 ZR never even hinted at sliding all the way to peg (not peg feeler) grinding and knee dragging angles. It's an awesome tire, especially for the price. And when I was doing mostly commuting it lasted well over 4k miles. I hear of some real hard sport riders getting less than 2miles when ridden to the extreme in seriously tight roads but I doubt that's what you're riding in indiana (hey, I grew up in illinois so I know what you most likely are riding). You'll never need the extra grip of the rr tire so save your money (unless this tire ends up a lot cheaper than I'm guessing, $100/set more).

As for pressure, 32 is a good number to aim for if you're not carying a passenger. If it's real cold out, 30 for better grip/warming. Hot out, 34 to keep the tire from wearing too much. Some people run less pressure in the front to get more grip but unless you are good enough to really go at the bikes limit then 30-36 won't matter much and just match front and rear for simplicity. The bike will turn better at the higher end of the range but stick better at the lower end.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 06:42 PM

Thumbs up

I have had really good look with my Avon Azaro II's. They are very sticky but wear well. Not cheap by any means, but I love them. I agree with the tire pressure's. I stay right around 32 lbs. per tire. Go for the Avon's, you'll love em.

Roundel

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 12:09 AM

I'm with Apex on the ZR 207's, they have all the grip I need, I can tip the Buell(not that it is the hardest core sportbike out there) all the way down to the peggs,actualy with the tiny race peggs that I have on it, the out side of my boot is the first thing to touch down. For every day riding they stick like glue. I keep my tyre pressures even, just stay within manufacture specs and you'll be ok.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 02:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
most riders aren't any better than the 207 zr's. i love those tires. they stick, predictable, and cheap. you'd have to find an aprilia owner for more details on the 207rr's. i've ridden on them, but never hard.

the r1-specific 207's last a bit longer too. i do have a personal perference for pirelli's on the r1 (with a 180 rear), but they ain't cheap either.

i would start at 32/32 for pressure.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 02:55 AM

I guess the only way the ZR is going to fall short is when you start to try and get HUGE drive off the corners. If you're just running a fun (he, he, knee draging fun I say) street or track day pace you can achieve all the lean angle your bike is capable of. As far as I know the really high end tires will offer more grip but at the point the ZR is gonna give up (and slide very predictably I might add), your gonna be running a very serious pace.

Tony or anyone else FTM, what's the 208 like (if you've run'em before), I hear a little less squirm since the side wall is stiffer and some more grip. And what's the difference in the 207 RR and 208? And how much does a set of the RR's cost anyway. I saw a tire display at the motorcycle show yesterday and the 207RR (first I had seen or heard of it) has a tread pattern like what I remember the 208 looking like.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 10:04 AM

I have a set of 207RR's on my Bandit, and I assure you they stick notably better than the ZR's. The RR's are essentially an updated 207GP rubber compound on an updated 207ZR carcass. They are also a little stiffer than the ZR's due to the slightly updated carcass.. They dont squirm at all when pushed really hard - The ZR's do just a pinch, but most guys probably wouldnt notice it. The RR's also fall into turns a little faster, and seem to work better on wet surfaces.

Last edited by Griff; 12-09-2001 at 10:32 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 04:27 PM

how much is a set of rr's for you?
How long do they seem to last?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 04:59 PM

No sure on the pricing yet Apex', I received a set directly from Dunlop for an article I wrote. Theyre just hitting US distributors right now. From what I understand, they wont be too much more than the ZR's. I've only had mine for a little over a month, so I dont know what the wear is like yet.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 10:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
I guess the only way the ZR is going to fall short is when you start to try and get HUGE drive off the corners. If you're just running a fun (he, he, knee draging fun I say) street or track day pace you can achieve all the lean angle your bike is capable of. As far as I know the really high end tires will offer more grip but at the point the ZR is gonna give up (and slide very predictably I might add), your gonna be running a very serious pace.

Tony or anyone else FTM, what's the 208 like (if you've run'em before), I hear a little less squirm since the side wall is stiffer and some more grip. And what's the difference in the 207 RR and 208? And how much does a set of the RR's cost anyway. I saw a tire display at the motorcycle show yesterday and the 207RR (first I had seen or heard of it) has a tread pattern like what I remember the 208 looking like.
i use bridgestones (damn 18" rear wheel). i raced on 207gp's last season on the endurance bike. they were so good. and thanx to the 208's, very cheap.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FZR400Tony; 12-09-2001 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode