Bike stance questions... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Question Bike stance questions...

Most bikes seem to rake forward, I assume to place more weight over the front wheel during turning. My bike seems to be fairly level and the clip-ons a bit high especially with my long arms. I would like to be more forward and was considering lowering the front end and/or moving or changing the clip-ons to fit beneath the top tt. Any opinions or suggestions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 03:05 PM

Question

Rob..what is that you want to accomplish...more comfort, or quicker steering...or a racier look????

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I feel that if I was hunkered down lower over the front end I would feel more comfortable in the twisties and maybe the front end would feel more planted.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobG
I feel that if I was hunkered down lower over the front end I would feel more comfortable in the twisties and maybe the front end would feel more planted.
Are you saying that the front feels like there's no traction..entering the turn,,,at the apex..or exiting the turn..

You can change the handling of the bike, raising the forks in the tripleclamps...however, this will cause the bike to turn sharper, and much quicker, due to the changes in trail...

I'd suggest changing the bars, you might look into some clip ons..keep in mind that when you mount lower bars, you may get a tad uncomfortable...try this first, then if you feel you need more weight on the front, raise the forks 3mm in the clamps, make small changes, then try em out, till it's where you like it..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 03:56 AM

Quote:
What body position are you using? When I get a serious pace going I get my weight on my abs and costal arch (lower ribs to the side of center and below the bottom of the breast bone) against the tank. Then grip the bars only enough to have control of the throttle and not lose your grip over bumps, I mean really light. Grip with your legs some and you're ready to rip. Your weight is now more over the front and the front wheel will track bumps unbelievably well with no interference from a heavy grip and weight on the bars. It's like a golf swing cause it'll feel weird at first but you'll feel it get natural pretty quick. And remember, the front has more traction and ultimate ability to work properly when you don't interfere with weight on the bars. The bars/front end will move around some more than you're used to since it's now free to but don't freak, the bike will track beautifully.

IMHO
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus

What body position are you using? When I get a serious pace going I get my weight on my abs and costal arch (lower ribs to the side of center and below the bottom of the breast bone) against the tank. Then grip the bars only enough to have control of the throttle and not lose your grip over bumps, I mean really light. Grip with your legs some and you're ready to rip. Your weight is now more over the front and the front wheel will track bumps unbelievably well with no interference from a heavy grip and weight on the bars. It's like a golf swing cause it'll feel weird at first but you'll feel it get natural pretty quick. And remember, the front has more traction and ultimate ability to work properly when you don't interfere with weight on the bars. The bars/front end will move around some more than you're used to since it's now free to but don't freak, the bike will track beautifully.

IMHO
Yeah, what he said. This is the stance used in road racing along with some serious leaning off the bike going into the turns. Also, with the bars at the present level you can sit up when you have to brake coming up to a turn. I wouldn't lower anything, as the bars are already pretty dang low on a sportbike.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you saying that the front feels like there's no traction..entering the turn,,,at the apex..or exiting the turn..
The front just feels loose like the tire moves side to side while turning but I guess it could be the bars/front end that I am feeling. I feel as though the front end should "tighten" up while in the turn. Could it be the springs are too light? I do have excessive sag due to my weight (197lb + gear) and plan on changing them front and rear. Its really hard to describe being unfamiliar with suspension set-up. I am sort of comparing my bikes loose feeling to the more planted feeling on my buddies 996, which I understand is in a whole different league.

Quote:
What body position are you using?
If I were to move that far down, I would be almost in a full tuck. I would have to use all leg to hold myself up because the tank sits too far down. If I am too tight on the bars that may explain why it feels the way it does.

Thanks again for the help.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i would look for a used race shock with a spring for your weight, or send your shock and forks to traxxion, race-tech, curcuit 1, etc.

you'll be amazed at how well your bike can handle without cramping your wrists.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 11:42 AM

Quote:
If I were to move that far down, I would be almost in a full tuck. I would have to use all leg to hold myself up because the tank sits too far down. If I am too tight on the bars that may explain why it feels the way it does.

Thanks again for the help.
Like I said, it's gonna feel weird at first. I'm 6'2" and 190 and other than your bar risers putting you hands a little more in your face (our bikes are similar in ergos) I assure you that this is a good position even if not the only one that will work. I was showing this to a buddy the other day and put him on his bike with the center stand down and folded him into the position I described. He had tried it from description but couldn't get it cause he was sliding back in the saddle where you should be as far forward as possible to allow you to put weight on abs at the lower part of the tank right in front of the saddle. Hope this might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode