My First Crash - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:00 AM
SoWeGa

Unhappy My First Crash

I had my first wreck on a bike Thursday. My mother passed away Monday night, and I was out thinking about her and just getting away from the whole atmosphere. I had just easily dipped through a hairpin on a road near my house and was just hitting my apex in the next turn at about 40 when a golden retriever ran out in front of me. I made the split-second decision to take going off into a ditch instead of high-siding over the dog, and jumped on the front brake. I felt the ass end rise up as I went off the tarmac and into the ditch. As near as I can tell, I leaned back enough to get the back wheel down and pulled it down on the left side. Just as I hit the bottom of the ditch, the low-side turned into a high-side and it threw me about ten feet into a big, soft pile of dirt. I remember skidding on my head and thinking it was pretty weird seeing the dirt and stuff fly by from the inside of my helmet (it was like watching a crash on a movie screen), and then the impact knocked the breath out of me. I laid there for a sec, asking myself if I was okay, and then I realized that I was talking to myself out loud, and started laughing. After I got up and found my wallet, my cellphone, and the shoe that flew off (I'm going to go look for my sunglasses later today), three people stopped and made sure I was okay, but just as I was turning to ask them to help me pick the bike up, they were gone. Thanks. The bike started right up and there was a shallow part of the ditch that I used to get out. I rode the bike the half-mile back to my house with all the stuff hanging off of it, and it's been parked in my driveway ever since. At the best, I just have cracked bodywork and a bent clip-on, but at the worst, I may have bent forks. I've been taking care of my mom's house and estate, and the funeral was yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to really look at the bike.
Other than a bruised chest (apparently, I managed to hit the tank, the clipons, and the windscreen on my way over the front of the bike.) and some seriously sore muscles in my arms and back (from picking up the heavy sommamabitch), I am perfectly all right.
So, I guess, out of all the possible crashes that one could have on a bike, I had the best one. That doesn't make me feel all that much better, though. I didn't see where the dog went, but I imagine that he felt pretty bad, too.

holla,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:22 AM

Woa....

Hey Ed,

Sorry, First, about the loss of your Mom. Then this. Glad you are (mostly) OK. I had my first wreck this year too, and must have replayed that movie (of the slo-mo wreck) over in my mind about a hundred times.

As I'm sure you know, the bike can be fixed, and glad you don't have to be...

All I can think to say is Whatta week.. and that we're sorry to hear of all of this. Sucks.

You sure have a good outlook, given whats going on. That alone speaks volumes about your character. You'll get through all of this.

Hope there are close friends and others to help you deal.

Hang in there.

Buck and Jeff
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:27 AM
SoWeGa

thanks, fellas.

if you want to, I'll go ahead and take the F4i off your hands to make room in the garage for your new VFRs. . .
but, seriously, thanks. you guys rule

holla,
Ed

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 05:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
sorry about your mother. the bike can be fix at least.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 06:34 AM

Thumbs up Lucky Dog(s)!

That dog and you were very lucky, somebody is watching over you man! Don't let all this get you down, take a deep breath.....relax and just do the best you can, that WILL be enough and everything will work out fine.

Sounds like the bike isn't too bad off and it will make more sense when its all cleaned up and you get a break to look it over.

Hang in there, Life is full of losses, but the best is yet to come. Tylenol's on me!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 06:55 AM

Very sorry for your loss Worst time of year for something like that too. Glad you made it outta the wreck relatively unscathed though.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 08:38 AM

sorry to hear about your mother, 2 bad all this had to happen so close to eachother. But be happy you could get away with it like that, and that the damage to the bike is not so heavy.
good luck and take care
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 08:52 AM
Founder

Unhappy

Ed,

Sorry to hear about your mother bro. My thoughts are with you.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 11:25 AM

Condolences Ed on both counts!

Sounds like the damage to your bike is relatively minor

My prayers will be with you and your family through this hard time man!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 08:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Sorry about your Mother.

Everyone falls sooner or later, I've fallen four times on the street in the last twenty years, it happens to the best of us.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode