Passenger Headbutt - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Passenger Headbutt

I'm sure everyone has had the lovely experience of shifting through the gears or braking hard, when all of a sudden you get clocked from behind by your passengers helmet. Now, I have only been a passenger on a motorcycle, maybe 2 times in my life. It was on a 78 Honda Hawk so I don't know if it can be compared to the slumped over style of a sport bike, but are passengers idiots or something? I had NO problem what so ever keeping my head from knocking into the drivers head while on the back. Why is it such a tough thing for some people. Give a little space and just relax.
Last night, riding around for about an hour with my girlfriend, she must have hit the back of my helmet over 10 times! I started getting upset and she told me that she just couldn't tell when I was going to shift, or brake.
What are you experiences and how did you solve the problem. Foam bumper on the back of your head? Ditch the passenger? Use an old helmet when riding with them? Throw them an elbow when ever they do it?

-Kemosabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 05:48 AM

Re: Passenger Headbutt

Quote:
Originally posted by Wet Shrub
Last night, riding around for about an hour with my girlfriend, she must have hit the back of my helmet over 10 times! I started getting upset and she told me that she just couldn't tell when I was going to shift, or brake.
What are you experiences and how did you solve the problem. Foam bumper on the back of your head? Ditch the passenger? Use an old helmet when riding with them? Throw them an elbow when ever they do it?-Kemosabe
Dude. You're havin' fun and don't even know it.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:10 AM

Just wack open the throttle in 1st one time....problem solved.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:11 AM

Breast augmentation.

Try it...........You'll like it!
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:14 AM

Quick shift - don't rev the engine up through the rpms. A lot smoother and less head smacks. If it's a real pain in the butt, get an aftermarket seat with a detachable backrest - that way she can lean back without worrying about eating the pavement.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Breast augmentation.

-NOW we're talkin!
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:19 AM

Re: Passenger Headbutt

Quote:
Originally posted by Wet Shrub
I'm sure everyone has had the lovely experience of shifting through the gears or braking hard, when all of a sudden you get clocked from behind by your passengers helmet
-Kemosabe
Sorry to tell you this, but the problem is most likely with you. You need to shift and brake more smoothly when you have a passenger on the back. Practice shifting with as little perceptible lurch as possible next time you're by yourself. You may need to give it a few more revs than you usually do and let the clutch out slower than you usually do.

It's possible that the seating positions are just such that her helmet is simply closer to yours in a normal riding position than it was on the Hawk. You should, however, be able to counteract it with careful throttle and clutch control.

Good luck!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:32 AM

Get used to it. My wife smacks me in the head all the time... even when we aren't two up.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:34 AM

Re: Re: Passenger Headbutt

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_VTR

Sorry to tell you this, but the problem is most likely with you. You need to shift and brake more smoothly when you have a passenger on the back. Practice shifting with as little perceptible lurch as possible next time you're by yourself. You may need to give it a few more revs than you usually do and let the clutch out slower than you usually do.

It's possible that the seating positions are just such that her helmet is simply closer to yours in a normal riding position than it was on the Hawk. You should, however, be able to counteract it with careful throttle and clutch control.
Good luck!
Bingo.

But I was hoping no one would say that so that he would dump her and maybe she could hook up with me.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:35 AM

Spoiled gf

Kudos for having the extra lid for your girl.

The problem isn't your girlfriend.

Sportbikes are different than regular motorcycles. Your passenger is stretched around you in a prone position, usually with insufficient upper body strength to support herself for extended periods of time. Your helmets are naturally within close proximity to each other, making it difficult for the passenger to see around the driver's fat head. She can't see what's going on and can't anticipate your every move.

You're the one accelerating/braking/driving so erratically that she is helpless to stop it. IF you can't slow your bike down without her helmet banging yours, you're going too fast. If you can't accelerate without her helmet banging yours, you're accelerating too hard/shifting too slow. Maybe you can safely manage the speed, that's not the point. Your girl may be getting fatigued or just be unable to support herself when you stop so quick, it's like doing a full pushup unexpectedly. Have a little compassion.

IF you're getting upset, she's likely MORE irritated: She's trying to be cool and share your interest, but you're causing the problems and getting mad at her for it.

Cut her some slack and quit ruining the girl for the next cool guy with a bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode