It's us against the world - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

It's us against the world

I know this is probably a topic that has been covered many times, but does anyone feel sometimes that its "us against the world". For anyone that has ever driven in Arizona, they would find that drivers speed, tailgate, make erratic lane changes, and do not pay attention. So imagine trying to ride in this chaos. I am coming home in one of our carpool lanes. As I am passing an SUV he decides that it is time to come into my lane. A move that I had anticipated. I easily escaped injury by accelerating past him. As he passed me later I pointed at my eyes and then to the bike as if to say," look for motorcycles A$$hole". This guy has the nerve to flip me off!!!! After I smashed his window, no just kidding...I was completley ballistic. Has it come to this? I felt like I wanted to kill him. He put my life in jeopardy, and then gives me the ole bird. One word summarizes this event "VIGILANTE". Has anyone ever gotten even, or calmed their demons, :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 06:24 PM
Founder

I have been riding a Motorcycle on the street for over 20 years now (8 in Arizona).

My attitude towards drivers is this:

To 90% of them I am invisible.
The other 10% are trying to kill me.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

To 90% of them I am invisible.
The other 10% are trying to kill me.
Couldn't have said it better myself. What about a T shirt with something like that ?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 08:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Re: It's us against the world

Quote:
Originally posted by Roundel
One word summarizes this event "VIGILANTE". Has anyone ever gotten even, or calmed their demons, :-)
I know how you feel, cage drivers (especially SUV drivers) in Los Angeles are buttheads.
Smashing mirrors and windshields helps with the frustration of having to deal with dickhead drivers. Partially extracting them from their cage and pounding the crap out of them teaches them to stay away from motorcycles.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 08:46 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead

Couldn't have said it better myself. What about a T shirt with something like that ?
What a great idea!

I'm getting read to go to bed, and I'm sure I'll forget.

Can you send me an email tomorrow and remind me? Thanks bro, I'm just real tired.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 01:42 AM

Three words....

STEEL TOED BOOTS...

Need I say more?

Crude? Yes, Barbaric, maybe...

I'm selective about it, but I may have "inadvertantly", while trying to regain my balance, placed my foot square into the drivers door, creating a large crease/dent.

It was certainly an accident, officer. Had she not swerved her SUV/minivan directly into me, it prolly wouldn't have happend.
"I certainly understand" said the nice officer, and wrote the cager a nice "suite" of tickets.

Nuff said.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 01:51 AM

Ok a couple of things the first is that I have always said don't give anyone the finger you are not ready to fight! You just don't know how they will react.

The next thing is that if you do decide to print that T-shirt I promise I will buy one!!!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 02:06 AM

Re: It's us against the world

Quote:
Originally posted by Roundel
I felt like I wanted to kill him. He put my life in jeopardy, and then gives me the ole bird. One word summarizes this event "VIGILANTE". Has anyone ever gotten even, or calmed their demons, :-)
D-Cell Batteries that inadvertently slip out of your pocket tend to bounce nicely into the front grill/windshield of the car behind you...also, a Daisy 250 pack of BB's makes alot of racket...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 02:10 AM

dealing with idiots

Roundel, this sort of thing happens to me all the time. Riding a bike in traffic means that occasionally or frequently you must react to poor driving by others that would result in your death. If this gets your blood boiling, maybe bikings not for you. Its going to happen again and again, trust me on this one, I know. You gotta stay calm. Most of the perps of this sort of thing are not out to get you but merely too self absorbed in their own little world to think of others. It would be nice if you could really retaliate, but its just not practical. Far more dangerous in my opinion are the deliberately hostile poeple who swerve close to you on purpose. If you havent met them yet, you will. Now if THAT gets you mad, it should! Also its worth mentioning that since I fitted my vtr with a pair of Jardine slip ons, the number of merges into me by others has dropped from 1-2 a month to almost never. ( I ride 20 mi each way to work every day. ) I can see people checking their mirrors as I approach to pass, wondering what the hell that noise is. Loud pipes save lives! Plus they sound really cool.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 02:47 AM

Too dangerous to pick a fight with moving SUV's. If you must confront them, follow them until they stop, then extract your revenge.

However, the best way to deal with them is to stay well away. If they do something stupid, well, just ride on. What can you do? Not even a gesture of "hey STUPID" will make much of a difference.

I agree with going with the best defense is a good offense. Put on loud pipes and use bright lights. If they know you're there or are coming, chances are they won't jump into your lane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode