Winterizing My Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Question Winterizing My Bike

This is going to be the first winter since I bought my bike and started riding. I had my bike (2000 Bandit S 600) fully serviced, and I have put it away with fuel stabilizer in the tank. Of course, since I did this the weather in PA has gotten warm again. Is it better to leave my bike alone since I have prepped it for winter or can I ride it and just add more fuel stabilizer when I gas up? Any other winter tips would really help too since I have no idea what I am doing. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 06:08 AM

Legal disclaimer: while I am not the last person on Earth you would want mechanical advice from , I am towards the top of the list! However, it seems to me you have to run the Stabil out sooner or later, ie Saturday or in the Spring. I did the same thing in mid-November when a cold snap hit. I figured the season was over so I stabilized the gas, pulled the battery, then watched the weather forecasts get warmer so I undid everything and got an extra month of riding in.

I do know that it is important to winterize with fresh oil. So even if it seems redundant, if you ride another 500 miles I would put new oil in it again - a small investment for the health of your bike.

Ride safe. Doug.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 06:09 AM

Here's what I do...

I top the tank off and add some Sta-bil. It's good to run the bike after adding the fuel stabilizer to make sure you get some into the carbs (some fuel will sit in there, too).

Change the oil (I assume your shop did this as you mentioned). I've read that's the last thing you should do before saying good-bye for the winter because the used oil can actually create an acid that will corrode engine parts after sitting for awhile. When you take the bike out again in the Spring -- change the oil again.

Here's another one -- I take and put an oily rag in the tail pipe to keep any condensation out of the exhaust (if you store your bike in a shed like I do). Don't want the water rusting out exhaust parts.

Don't forget to yank the battery and keep it charged. I use a battery tender and have had no problems. My buddies just go out and start their bikes up every couple of weeks.

I've also heard you should elevate both wheels but I only have a rear stand. I haven't had any tire problems so far.

Other than that, I just cover it and cry until Spring comes....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 07:05 AM

If you want info on winterizing, there are pretty thorough threads on that if you search for them. I know you SHOULD NOT ocassionally start your bike. This will not charge your battery but can lead to condensation build up - not good.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 07:06 AM

hey there,
fairly new to riding and this is also my first winter with a bike.

i've heard that if you don't have a rear/front stand you should go out every so often and move the bike so that it does not sit on the same spot and put flat spots on them. is this really necessary? i have pleanty of air in the tires and was wondering if this practice is recommended or its just someone's idea of what is good.

thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Best Charger?

I have been searching the internet looking at battery chargers........and there are so many different ones that I don't know which is best. Manual vs. Automatic? Once again the wisdom of the experienced would be appreciated.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by reggbl
hey there,
fairly new to riding and this is also my first winter with a bike.

i've heard that if you don't have a rear/front stand you should go out every so often and move the bike so that it does not sit on the same spot and put flat spots on them. is this really necessary? i have pleanty of air in the tires and was wondering if this practice is recommended or its just someone's idea of what is good.

thanks
There are lots of differing opinions on what to do about tires. Moving the bike certainly cannot hurt and is probably a good idea. Some people advocate reducing the pressure while others say to slightly over-inflate them. I make sure they are at manufacturer's specs, and put a sheet of plastic down so the tires are not in contact with any surface that would dry them out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 10:36 AM

You could just move to Arizona where we ride our bikes ALL year.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 04:44 PM

Post plugs

Another thing my dad taught me (which he used to do on all his bikes) was to pull the spark plugs, put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and crank the engine a few times (with kill switch off). It helps circulate the oil after changing it for the winter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 04:47 PM

Cool well...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
You could just move to Arizona where we ride our bikes ALL year.
With the weather we're having right now...we might not have to move to ride all year round...gotta love global warming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode