opinions on new bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

opinions on new bike

I'm buying a new bike come spring. I have it narrowed down to two bikes. Suzuki SV650 and Kawasaki ZX-6 (not the r)... Who has these bikes? how would they compare in handling. I'm about 90% sure I want the SV650.... but this bike has to last me at least 10 years, so I want to get the best bike. 50% of my riding is city/highway, the rest being mountain twisties, 2-3 day road trips...

thanks for the opinions in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 12:47 AM

I've been on both bikes. Get the SV650. The zx6 sucks hardcore. It feels really heavy, handles badly, and is in general a very uncomfortable mount. The SV650 on the other hand is a great bike. Very versatile and FUN!!! Go with the SV!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 02:00 AM
elo

Thumbs up

If you've narrowed it down to those two, go with the SV. Especially if you want a bike that will make you happy for many years. I'm sure you've been to www.svrider.com and seen all the options available for these bikes, so you know that it's almost literally a "build to suit" bike. Very few bikes out there are so easy to modify for each rider's specific needs, be it sport-touring, weekend riding, or racing. These are definitely bikes that you can grow a long time with.

I have never ridden a ZX6, but from what I've read, they are good beginner bikes, and that's about it. Most people buy them to learn on, and then go on to buy a better bike once their confidence is up.

I have had my SV for over a year, and I coulnd't be happier with it.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks much

well that settles it for me.... the kawa it is LOL, just kidding... I'm getting the SV, thanks for the help folks
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 07:43 AM

You may want to read the latest issue of Sport Rider magazine. They just tested a ZX6E.

Personally, I prefer the ZX6E for your intended use. Its got a gas gauge, centerstand, and more protective fairing, all of which count for a lot for daily use and 2-3 day trips. Plus, it will go faster than the SV650, S or standard. SV=64 hp. ZX6E=85 hp. The ZX6E don't weigh that much more. Wet weight as tested by SR was 490 lbs. Not sure how much SV weighs but it's a bit less than that. As far as handling, the ZX6E is just a Progressive Suspension kit away(F & R) from being a great bike. And the SV according to all the magazine tests I've read don't handle all that great when you push it. That bike too needs an aftermarket suspension too.

I'd get the ZX6E and invest $650 for the Progressive Suspension and you're all set. Yeah, you'll spend more. But it is more bike than the SV.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 08:06 AM
elo

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker
You may want to read the latest issue of Sport Rider magazine. They just tested a ZX6E. Personally, I prefer the ZX6E for your intended use. Its got a gas gauge, centerstand, and more protective fairing, all of which count for a lot for daily use and 2-3 day trips.
The SVs provides as good wind protection as any 600 sportbike available. Put a double bubble on, and you're good to go. My SV gets around 130 miles to the tank, and it does have an idiot blinky light if I get close.

Quote:
Plus, it will go faster than the SV650, S or standard. SV=64 hp. ZX6E=85 hp. The ZX6E don't weigh that much more. Wet weight as tested by SR was 490 lbs. Not sure how much SV weighs but it's a bit less than that.
Stock SVs have a top speed of around 130 mph. True, the ZX6 has a higher top speed, but remember we're comparing an inline 4 to a V twin.

Quote:
And the SV according to all the magazine tests I've read don't handle all that great when you push it.
I've been riding mine for over a year, on fun rides in the twisties as well as a 60 mile round trip commute to work, and have never had handling problems. The only complaint my husband had was that at 120, it gets headshakes a bit. Easy to solve with a steering dampener, something not uncommonly found on sportbikes.

Quote:
I'd get the ZX6E and invest $650 for the Progressive Suspension and you're all set. Yeah, you'll spend more. But it is more bike than the SV.
The lack of adjustable suspension on an SV can be fixed for $1,000 or less, if the owner wants to. Had I not wanted to start doing track days, I probably wouldn't have changed mine.

Given the choice of buying an SV or buying "more bike" that still needs progressive suspension, I'd still take the SV and modify it to my tastes.

I'm not trying to be a smartass Rogue, just giving my opinions.

Last edited by elo; 12-05-2001 at 08:41 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 08:37 AM

Not to mention the SV650 looks better...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 09:26 AM
PJ1

testing avatar
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elodello
.......I'm not trying to be a smartass Rogue, just giving my opinions.
I know you weren't.

Don't get me wrong. I like the SV a lot. I wouldn't mind having one as a 2nd bike. But for an only bike, I prefer the features of the ZX6E that the SV don't have. And if I were to get an SV, I would use it mainly as a canyon bike and I would immediately put the $1,000 suspension. Who knows. I may have one soon!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 10:56 AM

Don't get me wrong cause I really love the SV but if your looking for a true all around bike the ZX will sport tour better, and sorry Elo, the weather protection will be much better double bubble or not. The SV will handle a lot lighter but the ZX is no pig either and without comparing them back to back you'll never complain about the ZX handleing slow. Both have shit suspension but if your over 150 pounds WITH your gear on the SV really sucks. The mods for both bikes are pretty much the same in cost and difficulty to upgrade the suspension if it were necessary. Also, unless you are pretty aggressive you'll never know either one is lacking. The center stand, power, full fairing, and good sport qualities of the ZX would make me lean in that direction.

You didn't tell us anything about the roads you'll ride or your experience or body type so all this is a shot in the dark. If you're very small or your roads are go-kart tight the SV is looking better (but will require many mods to provide the tour function of the zx). If your a little bigger or really want to do some 400 mile days back to back then the ZX would be my pick. Seriously though, I don't think my list would narrow down to these two bikes since they are so different (emotions aside, whatever get's you going is up to you). I'd love either one, don't get me wrong, I just wouldn't end up choosing BETWEEN these two bikes. Just funny, that's all.

Good riding

Last edited by apexismaximus; 12-05-2001 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode