My 9R was stolen!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Angry My 9R was stolen!!

Well, I went home during lunch today to make some room in my garage for some furniture to be delivered this evening. While moving stuff around, I moved the bike out in the driveway with the intention of putting it back before I went back to work. Low and behold, I get paged from work and had to get back right away so I just left the bike in the driveway. I've left it there several times overnight with no problems. I live in a quiet subdivision with mostly older people as neighbors. Well when I got home this evening the bike was gone!!!!!. I called the police and they came out and did a report. I gave them a recent picture, as the paint job was not completely stock. They told me they would do their best but said they honestly doubted if I would see it again. I also called State Farm to make a claim and I am supposed to be talking to a claims person tomorrow.

I am so mad right now I can't stand it I had posted last week that I was thinking about selling the bike and getting a busa or 12R but decided a few days ago that since my 9R was paid for, I would just keep it for a while and not go into debt on anything new. The worst thing is that I just spent $2500 on a big-bore kit, cams and carbs for it a couple of months ago. I have heard that you can add performance parts on your insurance policy but I didn't because I had paid the policy for the year already and just figured I would add it on in May when it renewed. That was pretty stupid!

Anyway, I have never had anything stolen before and would like to get an idea of what I need to do now. Anyone have any ideas on what the insurance company will try to do. About how long will I have to wait for a check? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 10:55 AM

Well having never had one stoeln, I knwo severeal people that have. Call your Insurance, DUH. They'll tell you what you should do. I hope you made a police report too? That will help your insurance case. I'm not sure how long it takes to get the money, but make sure you tell the insurance company about any parts you put on it. They'll have to pay for that too.

Good luck and sorry to hear about it.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 11:00 AM

How long have you been with State Farm? If you've been a loyal customer to them for a while, then it wouldn't hurt to try and get the agent to cover the cam and big bore kit (if you've got the receipts for them). Also, go to kbb.com and book out your bike at what retail value is, then talk to the insurance adjuster to make sure that is at least the amount you will be compensated for. If they squawk, raise hell! Sorry about your bike though...

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 11:18 AM

Awe man! And we were just talkin' about you choosing between the Busa and 12!

I'm really sorry Kawboy. That really sucks. I've had my pride and joy(1969 Dodge Coronet Superbee) stolen from me before so I know exactly how you feel. First you wanna cry. Then you wanna kill! It really sucks I know.

Hang in there. Get as much from State Farm as possible. Then get that Busa or 12.

BTW, it helps to think that traumatic events in your life happen for a good reason. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe that big bore kit would have exploded on you next week (hopefully it explodes all over that f____king scumbag who stole it; or at least he crashes and cracks his skull open and gets brain damaged for life). Whatever. At least now you WILL get a new bike.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 11:23 AM
PJ1

There is hope your bike will be recovered. Let the bike shops in your area know your bike was lifted.Supply them with picture and VIN #, and engine #. Good luck and my vote is for the 12R as a replacement.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker
Awe man! And we were just talkin' about you choosing between the Busa and 12!

I'm really sorry Kawboy. That really sucks. I've had my pride and joy(1969 Dodge Coronet Superbee) stolen from me before so I know exactly how you feel. First you wanna cry. Then you wanna kill! It really sucks I know.

Hang in there. Get as much from State Farm as possible. Then get that Busa or 12.

BTW, it helps to think that traumatic events in your life happen for a good reason. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe that big bore kit would have exploded on you next week (hopefully it explodes all over that f____king scumbag who stole it; or at least he crashes and cracks his skull open and gets brain damaged for life). Whatever. At least now you WILL get a new bike.
Thanks Rogue. Yeah, ya know I was thinking the same thing about the big-bore kit. I guess I'll never know. Oh well, I do have all the records of the work I've had done so hopefully I'll be able to recoup some of that investment.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments and suggestions
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 12:14 PM

Stolen bike

Sorry to hear about the bike! I had my Honda XR Enduro stolen this summer...and my next door neighbors on the same night. I was really torqued, so I can certainly empathize.

My advice with the insurance company is hold out for as much as possible. I paid $3000 for my bike in 95 and the insurance company only offered me $1300 after the theft. I put a package of info together for them and they ended up offering me $2900 after my $250 deductable. Not too bad for 6 years of use and 5K miles.

In the package I included photos of the bike from when I bought it and the most recent I had. Then I hit the net and found all of the similar bikes that were for sale in my area and surrounding communities. I presented this to Nationwide and they didn't ask any questions and doubled their initial offer.

Too bad about the loss, but do your homework and get what you deserve for it.

Good Luck
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 12:50 PM

Re: My 9R was stolen!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawboy
The worst thing is that I just spent $2500 on a big-bore kit, cams and carbs for it a couple of months ago.
Ok - do a little investgation on the people who did the work on the bike - I mean you cant tell bored out cylinders from looking at the bike.. Check it out man!!! You live in a low risk neighborhood - but the people who did the work on your bike have a bill with your address! Really sorry for the loss - I wish we could cut hands off of people who steal like some countries.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 01:00 PM

I feel your pain! I also had a bike stolen, a flawless ZX12 right out of my garage earlier this year. If it makes you feel any better, I got my bike back, 2 weeks later with minor damage which my insurance company took care of, so there is a chance. Interestingly enough, they recovered the bike almost 500 miles away at Mardi Gras. The moron who stole it was walking around with my pistol hanging out his back pocket. And this was a professional thief!
Came to find out that the guy who stole my bike had seen it at the street races, and must have followed me home one evening.
I bet the sorry ass who stole your bike was just passing through & saw it, and took advantage of the opportunity, and your bike is still somewhere around in your city. I bet they think they can paint it, and ride it like they paid for it. Fool who took mine didn't paint it, or even change the license plate! Good luck Kawboy, I hope you get that call telling you to come get your bike. Post picture, and distinguishing characteristics so we can all help you look.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 01:02 PM

P. S. At least thirty days for a check.. They want to give it a chance to turn up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode