Practiced wheelies today - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Practiced wheelies today

Was able to do some today, it was about 74 outside so I could control my wheelies. When it's cool out the bike feels like it has twice the pwr and i cant control it. Anyways. Any tips on steering while up. I tried leaning when I was already going off course to no avail. I made fun of someone before when they said you have turn turn the wheel, but do you??? Sorry, I know this is played out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Any one else have that problem with cold weather. I also can't do them at night, I can't judge how high Im up. But during the day, it's on like a MF
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 07:56 PM

Re: Practiced wheelies today

Quote:
Originally posted by shannon
Was able to do some today, it was about 74 outside so I could control my wheelies. When it's cool out the bike feels like it has twice the pwr and i cant control it. Anyways. Any tips on steering while up. I tried leaning when I was already going off course to no avail. I made fun of someone before when they said you have turn turn the wheel, but do you??? Sorry, I know this is played out.
if you take a bicycle wheel off the bike, sit on a bar stool,or anything that spins freely.
give the wheel a good spin and hold it at the axle,you will spin in one direction or another depending on how you hold the wheel,
this will give you a idea how turning the bars will turn your wheelie--I've seen people pull the front brake stopping the wheel and losing all control
the gyro action of the spining front wheel has a lot of power

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 09:13 PM

It was me you made fun of ,remember?hehe.have not had problem with bike leaning left or right.took her to75mph in first and set it down.takes getting used to poping them at nite for me also.sorry I cant help in the steering dept.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 01:27 AM

carbs?

Quote:
Any one else have that problem with cold weather. I also can't do them at night, I can't judge how high Im up. But during the day, it's on like a MF
I had same problem, where the colder and the denser the air was, the more power the bike seemed to make. Some mechanic told me on my older bike with carbs, that it was setup wrong, and was running lean. I had a pipe without re-jetting the carbs. If your 2001 Kwak is fuel injected, I guess this does not apply to you -Iam not a mechanic. Maybe someone can confirm this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 01:40 AM

it's not uncommon for bikes to pick up a couple extra ponies in the cold. You figure colder denser air=more oxygen in a tighter package. So you'll definatly notice a change specially if you bike was already running rich, then you'll have the extra oxygen to mix with the extra fuel. THe down side is the loss of traction as it gets colder. My 2000 F4 would pull massive power wheelies on cold days, was like riding a different bike.

Last edited by Headhunter; 12-04-2001 at 01:42 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 02:54 AM

If you want to steer the bike, just lean to one side.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 04:24 AM

Did you do them in front of your neighbor?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KLRAdam
Did you do them in front of your neighbor?

Uh no, I do them on the expressway. My street is a block long
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 04:28 AM

Quote:

Uh no, I do them on the expressway. My street is a block long
Try to go through two cars. I think a little challenge will put the edge on things and make you better faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode