Uhaul Travel - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Uhaul Travel

Has anyone ever used one of the enclosed Uhaul trailers to take a bike long distance? There aren't any floor tie downs or a front wheel stop, so I am not sure what to do. I was hoping to get an open trailer, but those are only local. Any ideas on how to properly secure the bike? Also, is a 4x8 big enough? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 04:24 PM

Arrow

I helped a friend move from Tampa to Phoenix and we used an enclosed U-haul trailer for his bike and the rest of his junk...

We wedged the bike towards the forward corner... the corner acted like a wheel chock. We used the tie-down extenders as achors because the cam straps hooks doesnt fit through the holes of the wood railing. Use the rachet tie-downs as well because the cam buckles tend to losen up because of all the shaking when traveling. Use as many tie-downs as you can to distribute the load on the straps!

Also, use the kick stand to have at least 3 point of contact to the floor.

It's doable.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 08:09 PM

When I moved from VA to FL I had my bike in the back of a Uhaul with the rest of my stuff. Bigger truck, 17 foot or something. Had the wood slats that were raised off of the metal wall of the truck. I just took my tiedowns and looped one end through the little gap, hooking it onto itself. The other end of the tiedowns were attached to the bike's frame. One strap on each corner of the bike. Straps were used to keep the bike from swaying side to side. Left it in gear to prevent rolling back and forth with stuff jammed against the tires to help reduce front to back motion. Also, covered the bike in blankets to prevent an oopsy.
Like slowrat, side stand is always down when I trailer a bike, even if if doesn't touch the ground.
Zero problems. And you should see the way I drive. Even in a Uhaul.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 04:32 AM

I strap my bike to the front of my 1972 RV Camper with rubber bungie straps, right behind the lawn chairs...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 06:36 AM

Cool

I can help you with this one!!!!A 4x8 isn't big enough...You need a 5x8, but make sure BEFORE you rent it that it has the d ruings in the floor on the front corners...I've rented about 5 of them, and it works just fine...My bike was a real "trailer queen", when I first got it...HAHAHAHAHAH I ended up buying one of the kartworld trailers and absolutely LOVE it to bits!!!...But with the krtworld trailer, you CAN'T put 2 bikes on unless you fabricate side rails..the trailer isn't W I D E enough to tie down two bikes...but it is absolutely rock solid with one bike...I used it to tow my bike to Laconia NH from Allentown PA at 90mph and NEVER had to worry...It pulls really easy too...I still got 22mpg with the bike and a van full of crap....With the uhaul 5x8 I can only get 14mpg....damn wind resistance!!>>>>get yourself some some good tie downs !!!!Have fun!!!Jimmy G
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. That gives me some ideas.

Jimmy... why wasn't the 4x8 big enough? Some people have said it's fine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 07:26 AM

it was cramped with the bike and me while I was trying to lash it down....I rented sooooo many uhauls I used to just pick it up and leave a note...became good friends with the owner....remember in a closed trailer, you have to crouch down and connect the straps to the d rings in the corners....very tight...it will fit though, just that extra foot makes a world of difference...good luck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 07:27 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by TT_Tyler2001
Thanks guys. That gives me some ideas.

Jimmy... why wasn't the 4x8 big enough? Some people have said it's fine.
You'll be thankful for that extra foot of room when trying to squeeze in beside your bike.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 08:10 AM

Talking

bigger trailer gives you more room to work with... and got room for the dead hookers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode