opinions on CLASS riding school - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Question opinions on CLASS riding school

For those of you who have taken the CLASS riding school, what did you think of it? Did you learn a lot? I'm thinking of enrolling but want to make sure it's worth the money. I'm not looking for a racing school, just something to improve my riding abilities.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 10:34 PM

Thumbs up

I have taken two classes so far, both at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pa. This was, by far, the best money I ever spent on anything motorcycle related. In short, YES, you should sign up for a class, and you will learn an amazing amount. You will also have a blast doing it.

One eye opening thing for me was the difference between track riding and street riding. Also, I saw many examples of the old adage "it's the rider, not the bike." After taking the classes, your riding will definitely inprove, I know mine did. You'll also meet a lot of great people.

Although it may seem like a lot of money to spend, for only a day or two, the dividends will pay on every ride thereafter. Sign up for two back to back days if you can afford to.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 06:25 AM
GIX

Which is better to take first, a performance riding school or a racing school? What can I look forward to learning from both?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 06:45 AM

My opinion is if you will mainly be riding on the street, a school like Class would be better to take. Class emphasizes smoothness, control, and mastering your bike. Class stresses safety, both on the street and track.

I think a race school would be better if you plan on participating in club racing, etc. I think at some of the race schools, you will be issued your amateur road racing license after going through their school.

Also, at Class, there is really no bike prep required, other than new tires. I believe some of the other schools require safety wiring, replacing coolant w/water, etc.

Either way, getting onto a track with either a riding school or a racing school is a hell of a lot of fun!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 08:35 AM
GIX

Where can I find out more info about CLASS and where it is offered.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 08:42 AM

Their website is www.classrides.com
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 08:57 AM
GIX

Thanks Dog.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the input

Ted, thanks for your opinions. I just signed up for their one day class at Cal Speedway. Lookin' forward to it!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 11:07 AM

Angry Class classes

Personally, I hated CLASS. It was my first track experience, and I almost quit riding after it. I took it at Pocono too, about four years ago. There was no real curriculum, no coherent approach, no techniques to be taught and practiced, no structured on track supervision. The track time was just wide open with hotshots screaming around and stuffing beginners, all kinds of lousy stuff. Reg was nice when I emailed him and complained, but I would never go back.

In contrast, taking Keith Code's superbike school resurrected my love of bikes and made me a track junkie. I have been to superbike school more times than I can count and I learn more each time.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 12:28 AM

Wow, it's strange that we could have such dissimiliar experiences at the same school, at the same track. I took the first one in 98, is that when you took it?

I was in the B group (the slow group), were you in the A group? I found everybody to be courteous on the track, at least in our group. I also asked the instructors for help when I was having trouble, and they were more than willing to give me tips and advice.

I have heard that Keith Code's school is good also, although I haven't taken that one yet. That's great that Code's school worked better for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode