did i out grow my bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
did i out grow my bike?

i often see people say they "out grew their bike", or "this bike isn't fast enough for me," etc. i was curious as to why experienced riders are always talking about bikes like the sv650 being so much fun, and less experienced guys think it's a kid's toy.

i'm not trying piss in anyone's cheerio's, but just thought that maybe we as a group could maybe talk (without flames, paul) about why we went from little bikes to big ones; from big to little; started on a turbo charged 900rr and switched to a turbo charged busa; thought the ex500 was so much fun, bought a 250, etc.

personally, over the past couple of seasons, i've worked on the "me" side of riding. and because of that i find that my 750 is a lot of street bike. and i really don't enjoy it as much. it's going so fast when you're on it that i start to fear my license, and what's ahead. as a rule i try not to go over 80 on the street. i generally don't look at the speedo. and i have found myself doing well in excess of 100 in many a 35 zone.

call me old, but i have a lot to lose now. so the idea of getting popped for going 100+ in a 25 or 35 zone isn't too appealing. plus the only time i really enjoy is when it needs tires because it doesn't wanna hook up as good and it's easier to get it a little of shape.

so for me, i see getting a bike like an sv as an opportunity to ride hard and push the bike without having to go so fast that i'm risking everything. also, in that same timeframe, i bought the 400. the 400 taught me a lot about little bikes. it taught me how fun they are to ride hard and to get into trouble. it also thought me how fun it is to pull a zx9 down a straight because i could get such a better drive than he could.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 04:01 AM

Good discussion launch.

From one perspective, riding style and preference has a great deal to do with it. Some folks, myself included, are torque junkies and really like the surge that comes from a big bore. On the other hand, when riding up in the mountains, I get serious jollies from my DRZ400, light, flickable, "playful".

I haven't had the pleasure of riding an SV650, but some of my fondest memories were carving with an RD-400, yet I also grin, even today, at the memories of nearly having my arms ripped from their sockets with a GS-1100.

I'm with you on the speed issue. My ZX-7R went away due to a couple near misses at over a buck. I have had right-wrist control issues all my life, and really need to retain both my license as well as return home everyday to my family. It also takes a long time to heal at my age

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 04:59 AM
elo

Thumbs up

I'll defer to Kenny Roberts Sr. on this one.

See tag line:

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 05:20 AM

Cool Small Bikes = Big Fun

I'm also starting to lean toward the smaller bike side of things. I have a VTR1000, but lately I've spent a year racing a YSR50 (probably couldn't own two more different bikes) and am now thinking about selling the VTR to buy an SV.

The VTR, quite frankly, has too much power for the street. The VTR is great for pulling big-time wheelies, but an SV would be fine for that too and would allow me to really flog the $#!+ out of it in the twisties. After a certain relatively low horsepower level, the only place the extra power is going to benefit you is in the straights. I'd rather slow down in the straights anyway since I'd like to avoid close encounters with the man.

I'd also rather spend less for the bike and invest some of the saved money into suspension modifications, like an Ohlins shock and Racetech springs and gold valves.

I rode a friend's SV about two years ago and have been hankering for one ever since.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 06:03 AM

Little bikes

When I first went bike shopping, I was looking for something in the 600 CC range. My first test ride was a CBR 600 F3. It felt like a toy to me. It was too "easy" to ride. Having never ridden a sport bike before then (except for a few laps around the parking lot on an R1) I was expecting it to be heavier/scarier/more difficult. I ended up getting my ZX-7R, and I'm quite happy with it. I took a guys Ninja 250 for a ride a few weeks ago, and had BLAST!!! Yea, I was missing the power in the straightaways, but I was TEARING it up on the curves. Now I'm starting to think I might have had a really good time owning that F3. Maybe a little bike is in my near future. Considering my size (6 foot, 240 pounds) I think I'm gonna stay above 500CC. Then again, a Pocket bike would be awesome. Parking lot racing, here I come!!!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 06:21 AM

Re: Small Bikes = Big Fun

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_VTR
I'm also starting to lean toward the smaller bike side of things. I have a VTR1000, but lately I've spent a year racing a YSR50 (probably couldn't own two more different bikes) and am now thinking about selling the VTR to buy an SV.
wow, my sentiments exactly. I've been going back and forth for awhile now about big vs. small. While I love everything about my VTR- power, torque, handling, looks- I find myself going too fast too often and always thinking I have to go fast to have fun. Could I find all that which I love about the VTR in a smaller bike, say the SV? I don't know, but I remember fondly riding the snot out of a Bandit 400, and I probably only took that over 100 a handful of times. On the VTR, it's so easy to go fast, and so easy to think your're riding within your limits, when you might be way above them.

Plus the SV would be cheaper to insure, maintain, and there's much support both in aftermarket and enthusiast. That's become very attractive to me lately as money becomes a tight issue.

I don't know.

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 06:39 AM

Re: Re: Small Bikes = Big Fun

Quote:
Originally posted by inanima

Could I find all that which I love about the VTR in a smaller bike, say the SV? I don't know, but I remember fondly riding the snot out of a Bandit 400, and I probably only took that over 100 a handful of times.

[snip]

I don't know.
Actually, it sounds like you DO know. See if you can find someone with an SV who will let you can take it for a spin. I rode a 1999 SV (naked) behind my buddy who was riding my VTR. We rode some fast twisties and I had no problem keeping up with him. He's a faster rider than I am too - he now races an SV in WERA & CCS. In fact, I think the SV is probably a significantly better corner carver than the VTR, once some cheap suspension mods are done.

The bike felt really light compared to the VTR, yet it seemed to have plenty of torque "punch". It could loft first gear power wheelies just like the VTR, too.

Try it - you might like it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 06:44 AM

You were naked???? Do you have pictures?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hrduck
You were naked???? Do you have pictures?
Sure. You'll find them at www.uglynakedguyonabike.com. Only $99 per month subscription charge.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 07:12 AM

I have never owned a bike bigger than 600cc. But i have had runs on 750s 1100s 900s etc and i found the extra power and straightline speed amazing but when it comes to keeping the licence and fun on the twisties i found my 250r as good as any and only loosing out on straightline speed. and to be honest most speed traps are on long straights!! Where it is better to keep the speed down.
I think my next bike will be a sv650 if and when i can afford one. I am happy with the bandit but i think the sv will be lighter and more nimble. Also i have never owned a v twin before and would like to give one a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode