Now I are one! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Smile Now I are one!

You will pleas notice the brand new addition to my ID, as it lists a 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R (the yellow one to be precise), which became effectively mine at about 1000 hrs this morning. I did the paperwork yesterday and then went over this morning and picked it up.

Frankly, I have been very nervous about this idea of getting a sport bike, when most people my age believe bikes are (ahem) sort of dangerous and silly. The ones that do ride are almost all potato-bikers. Part of me wondered very strongly if they really knew something I didn't... especially since I haven't ridden in 30 years and they didn't even have sport bikes then.

I went back and forth in the Kawasaki parking lot about five times then out on the street and down to a big empty athletic field parking lot. I spent ten minutes there weaving in and out of everyting they had. From there, a mile down to the next big empty parking lot for more of the same. Then another mile and another lot, getting closer back to work each time. Round and round. Reverse it. Reverse it again. In and out.

Finally.... I'm approaching the entrance to my work place and the bike just goes right on past. We go do the same circuit again, once more. Just got back from that and sat down here.

What can I say? Words are tough. "WOW" is sort of superficial. It handles like air. The "other" people haven't got a clue. It is beautiful. It wants a fine, proud name, but we will have let that sort itself out. You guys already know about this, don't you.

Yes, I will be careful....but only the mountains live forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 03:02 AM

Re: Now I are one!

Quote:
Originally posted by Joss
...but only the mountains live forever.
And forever live to ride the mountains!

Congrats, Joss, that's awesome! If you sit back and listen real carefully, you'll hear Roebling Road calling your name! Excellent choice of bikes, have fun!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Yes, Roebling road is calling . I've already reconed the route (heh, heh).

Well, it's about lunch time. Gotta get back on.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 03:29 AM

yea...too bad they developed the area around Hutchison Island...we used to run there every weekend...

now its hotels and a golf course, but the track is still there, its just used a public roads now...

I had an F2 burn to nothing at that track...

ah good memories....haha
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 03:36 AM

Quote:
You will pleas notice the brand new addition to my ID, as it lists a 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R...Part of me wondered very strongly if they really knew something I didn't...
Nah...you've probably purchased one of the best kept secrets in motorcycling (600cc class, and the 6R to boot)!
You know what they say...you don't quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding (gotta start getting my philosophy somewhere other than T-shirts)!

I'm 46 and enjoy the heck out of the 6R. Next time I'm down your way, I'll have to post in the rides section in case you want to join in. Ya gotta carry that sucker up GA 60, TWO, 180, and Deals Gap! Just take it slow until you get the hang of that new bike! I take the 6R out on 3 day tours with nothing but a travel pack (WalMart) that fits under the seat. 'Course, ya gotta hope for dry weather...

Do a search in here for all posts by basicblur for links to lots of info on the 6R, particularly https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...threadid=14069

Hope to see you on the road!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 04:03 AM

Thumbs up

From one very happy 6R owner to another, welcome to the club of the most misunderstood and under appreciated bike in the 600cc class .

Here's hoping you have many happy miles on that 6R !
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Basicblur, I used all those notes from you to make up my mind! I know most of 'em by heart now. Yes, please, on keeping me posted on rides. Thanks.

DevilP, I've got to take another jaunt over to Hutchincson to see if ANY of it is left. Might be.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 04:56 AM

Congrats.

After your first post about bikes passing you I knew it wouldn't be long before you took one home.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 10:41 AM

Congrats and good luck with the new ride. Whats with all these old guys gettin into rocket science? Well, I am almost an old guy(43) and I also gave up on crusers(patato-patato)but I only got half and half (Patato and rocket) Buell M2 Cyclone. Still its a fun bike to throw around in the esses. I have seen this a lot lately,Old dudes on sportbikes. Wish they were around when I was young,dumb and full o cum.Well at least some of us gezzers have found the path of inlightment.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 01:58 PM

Quote:
You will please notice the brand new addition…a 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R…went over this morning and picked it up.
Now that you’ve got that new 6R, can accessories be far behind? Take this for what it’s worth (based on my experience), remembering that I’m a cheap basta…er, frugal individual:
Gonna have to have a stand! I bought a Lockhart Adjustable Swingarm Stand Series II since it’s cheap (Competition Accessories/10% discount AMA members), seems to be plenty sturdy, and you can hoist the bike on it by yourself with little chance of dropping it. I tried the Lockhart Race Swingarm Stand, but the sucker wouldn’t allow me to hook it under the spools without banging into/fighting with the exhaust pipe. The Lockhart Adjustable Stand doesn’t bang into the pipe. With the Adjustable, just hook the left pad under the swingarm, and hoist the bike off its side stand slowly. It’ll tilt right (off the side stand) and position itself on the right pad, and up she goes, no muss, no fuss. The wider race stand requires you to right the bike FIRST, then hoist it up. Pretty damn tricky to hold the bike upright with one hand on the rear grab rails while trying to hook the stand under the spools and hoist the bike.
Front stand? Well, I got Lockhart’s New Front Stand, but not real happy with it. Ordered 2 from Competition Accessories, both which were damaged. They wouldn’t send another, so I took a chance and ordered directly from Lockhart. No luck, as it was damaged also! It appears Lockhart has a problem at the factory with somebody stacking these front stands and banging/scratching the hell out of ‘em. Competition Accessories gave me $20 off to keep the second one, which I’ll probably end up painting this winter.
http://www.lockhartphillips.com/MENU.html
Hit the TRACK & TUNER link in left column, then LP USA STANDS & BUTTON KITS PHOTOS link.

Slip-on? You may soon want something a little better looking and sounding than the stock pipe. I liked the looks of the V&H S4 Titanium, and it sounds great! Much cheaper than Akrapovic, looks better IMO (love that machined double end cap), and fortunately, sounds great! Couldn’t find one to listen to, so I took a chance on the sound. Folks tell me it sounds like a 9R at idle (it kinda spits instead of idling). It has a pretty deep tone at idle, but once you hit 4000 rpm, it turns into a high pitched wail: just the way I like it! When off-throttle, especially 'round 4000 rpm, it sounds like a cross between a babbling brook and an angry beehive! I really enjoy listening to the sucker burble when slightly off-throttle, cruising 'round 4000 rpm. The V&H slip-on is not so loud that it drowns out the intake, but you’re probably gonna need earplugs on the highway (‘course, helmet/wind noise is probably gonna require ‘em).
http://www.vanceandhines.com/pages/SS4slip.html

Shields: I recently took a pretty cold weather ride, so I may hold off on aftermarket shields since I actually stayed pretty warm. I’m thinking of adding either a ZeroGravity Double Bubble or the Lockhart Euro Screen. Still mulling this one over…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode