I need some quiet time..... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2001, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

I need some quiet time.....

I have been stopped twice now by CHP and both times I was told I was "heard winding it out" (no citations though). I have an unk. type carbon slip-on that is too loud (yes, there is such a thing ) Who makes a s/o that is relatively quiet? It does not have to be factory stock quiet, but reasonable. I had the M4 in mind anyway, but not if it is gonna be really loud. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 04:11 AM
Pete

IMO, just about any aftermarket s/o labeled as "race only" will garner unwanted attention if you really are "winding it out." Many Euro "race only" pipes, however, such as Akra, Remus, etc., are restricted to 98db as mandated by FIM. This is not obnoxiously loud at "around town" speeds. D&D, Two Bros., and Micron make some of the loudest slip-ons, but Micron does offer an "E" version, sound-restricted for tougher Euro standards.

Bottom line, look for a pipe that is not labeled as "race only" and you should be better off than you are now.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 04:25 AM

ive got an M4 and it is NOT quiet....
haha they even have a disclaimer on their website...

the Vance&Hines arent too loud...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 05:56 AM

I've ridden all kinds of machines and db for db, the more cylinders you have, the more attention the cops pay to you. Two strokes are in their own world! If you can't beat this noise thing, I humbly suggest a 4-stroke SuperMotard.

Try it...........You'll like it!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 08:04 AM

Thumbs up REMUS

REMUS's pipes for inline-4's are rather soft. Their pipes for twins on the other hand are really deep. ANd whoever said that Vance and Hines weren't too loud must be smoking crack. V&H pipes have been tested time and time again as being in the top class of the loudest pipes on the market.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 08:21 AM
Pete

Re: REMUS

Quote:
Originally posted by ducoholic
ANd whoever said that Vance and Hines weren't too loud must be smoking crack. V&H pipes have been tested time and time again as being in the top class of the loudest pipes on the market.
Well, I guess that depends on *which* V&H pipe you're listening to, because every one that I have heard has been pretty damn quiet, a lot more quiet than the Remus I have on my 929, which you consider to be "soft."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

What about a can from say a R6 or similar? Is it too restrictive?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 09:07 AM

Take a look at Black Widow Racing

The pipes they have available are for the R6/R1 only. Give them a call, see if they plan to release one for the 6R.

Last edited by VYPIR; 12-01-2001 at 09:17 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 09:29 AM

I actually bought the Remus pipe for my VFR in road legal form. It took longer to get as the dealer told me, "No-one orders these pipes, they all want race ones". Well, I wanted mine for looks mainly as I've found the noisey pipes get too much grief from the cops. It is noisier than standard, in fact my mate on his R6 told me it sounded really sweet while following me. But it doesn't offend round town. I'm more than happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode