Looking for a new bike....Busa or 12R?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Looking for a new bike....Busa or 12R??

I've been pondering selling the 9R for a couple of months now. It's been a great bike and very fast since I've had the modifications done but I'm thinking of getting something a little bigger. I still want something sporty but comfortable as well. I have narrowed my choices down to the Busa and 12R. I know they are not superhandling bikes but I'm thinking they may do well on long trips as far as comfort goes. I have been to the dealerships and sat on both. Both seem to have more room than my 9.

I would like to get some feedback on what you guys think about these two bikes. I am normally very loyal to Team Green and have had nothing but great experiences with all the Kawasakis I've owned, but for some odd reason, I think the Busa is a good looking bike (I hope I don't offend any Kawasaki riders with that comment ).

From what I've read, both bikes are pretty close in the power and speed dept. Which do you think is the better handling bike. While my main goal may not be knee dragging anymore, I would like to know which bike would be better in that area if the need should ever arise. Is there anything I need to know about reliability with these two particular models that some of you may have come across by either personal experience or word of mouth.

Unfortunatley, my local dealer will not allow test rides and my current group of riding buddies does not include either of these two bikes so I will be relying heavily on what advice I get here.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 09:59 AM

Stick to Kawi, the busa looks like a pregnant guppy. The 12 is lighter and cheaper than the busa, and definitely is more sportier looking
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Shannon. Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards the 12R. Especially since the 2002 is coming out and it looks like they've really payed attention to improving the handling. Only problem is, it's not going to be offered in green!

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 10:19 AM

What do you expect, they all try to fix shit till they break it.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 11:24 AM

Re: Looking for a new bike....Busa or 12R??

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawboy

I think the Busa is a good looking bike (I hope I don't offend any Kawasaki riders with that comment ).
I am offended. Go with the 12R. It looks better, handles better, and IS better. The 12R will definitely please you in the twisties more than the hayaBUSa will.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 07:51 PM

Re: Looking for a new bike....Busa or 12R??

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawboy
I know they are not superhandling bikes but I'm thinking they may do well on long trips as far as comfort goes.

Is there anything I need to know about reliability with these two particular models that some of you may have come across by either personal experience or word of mouth.

Thanks!
I have a hayabusa and it's reliable. 12K and no problems at all. And it handles just fine. The only thing is...it isn't easy to flip back and forth. It's kind of heavy that way. But that weight makes it nice for touring. Took several 800 mile/day trips with no problem.

Oh, yeah...it has plenty of power

One advantage the busa has over the 12 is that there are a lot of used busas out there for sale. I mean low mile used ones for about $8-9K. Just stay away from the ones that have been modified for even more power...IMHO stock is best for reliability.

Last edited by otter; 11-24-2001 at 07:56 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 11:16 PM

Ummm tough question to answer as both bikes are very similar in performance, Ive ridden a busa and i thought for it's size it handled it's self very well in the corners and i'm told by my mate who owns the busa i rode that he's ridden the 12 and he thinks the busa was more comfortable ( slightly ) so it's gonna come down to which you prefer the look of and what feels the best to sit on for you..... I haven't helped at all have I, Sorry.. Let us know what you get anyway....
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your input. It is going to be a tough decision which may take a while. I just don't want to choose one and a few months down the road, wish I had gotten the other one.

Thanks again!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 12:54 PM

My husband has a busa and he thinks it's great. He's taken it out to see his daughter in Beaver Falls, Pa. about a 4 hour ride and even to Philadelphia for the day. Only that last hour from home coming back from his daughters he was ready to sell it. I often traded with him (yes, believe it or not) when we were on long rides because it was more comfortable to me than the 01' Ninja I had. He's wanted one for 3 years and he wouldn't trade it for the world now.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 02:16 PM

Thumbs up

I drove both and I thught the 12r was totally awesome. It was 10 times better than the Hayabusa. the 12R handled better and it was more fun to ride, but watch out that thing will rise at 500 rpms like it is going out of style. 12R hands down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode