Why choose an R6? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Rio

Why choose an R6?

I've got nothing against the R6, and actually like the bike. But Reading the Yamaha brochure on their sportbikes, I am puzzled. The R1 has dimensions of 80.1 X 27.4 X 43.5. The R6 has dimensions of 81 X 27.6 X 44.2. Virtually no difference. The R1 has a seat hight of 32" and the R6 has a seat hight of 32.8". Again, no difference. The R1 has a wheel base of 54.9" and the R6 has a wheelbase of 54.4 inches. Can .5" make much of a difference in handling? The Minimum ground clearance is 5.5" on the R1, whereas the minimum ground clearance on the R6 is 5.4". The R1 holds 4.5 gallons as does the R6. The R1 has a claimed weight of 382 whereas the R6 has a claimed weight of 365. Is 17 lbs. that substantial?

What I'm getting at, is why go with a 600cc when you can get a virtually identical bike with much more power? Obviously there is the cost factor, but is there something I'm missing in the comparison?

Your input is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 06:33 PM

For me:
I like my R6. It has sufficient power and great handling. I would feel uncomfortable with all of the extra power the R1 has. I don't know about everyone else but I like to hit the gas coming out of a turn and not really run the risk of flipping the bike over (a little exagerated). For someone my height and weight the 600's are perfect.

The R1 was redone to step up the handling ability to closer match the R6. The same issue comes up with having too much power. It's like having a V8 engine inside a Geo Metro. For me it is too much.

You have to give more attention to the performance of the bikes and not focus so much on the specs. Having an R6 is not going to make you the slow guy in a group. In fact, I have yet to see an R1 keep with my R6 in the twisties (One did, but the guy was a racer and I was on his tire).
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 07:20 PM

One of the bike mags here did a feature last year where they raced a R6 against a R1 round a race circuit with different riders on board. The 6 was able to lap faster than the 1 nearly always. The general opinion was that the smaller bike was more manageable and didn't intimidate the riders so much.

You pay your money, you take your choice.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 01:51 AM

That and:

Yes, 1/2" in length and 17 lbs. is considerable
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 02:12 AM
elo

Re: Why choose an R6?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rio
What I'm getting at, is why go with a 600cc when you can get a virtually identical bike with much more power? Obviously there is the cost factor, but is there something I'm missing in the comparison?

Your input is appreciated
First of all, the R1 is one of the most powerful bikes out there, and not everyone is able to handle them.

Second of all, not everyone WANTS to have the biggest/baddest/fastest bike out there. Most non-liter bike owners are quite happy on their 250's, 500's, 600's, 650's, 748's, 750's, 800's, 900's etc. Chances are good that the average yeahoo squid R1 owner you meet has never ridden the bike to it's fullest potential. The average yeahoo squid R6 owner has probably gotten a lot closer. (notice I said "average yeahoo squid owner", please don't flame me!)

Third, cost is a factor. The R6 costs less to buy and insure.

Here's a comparison: Why buy Porsche when you can buy a Viper? Not everyone wants a V-10, not everyone wants a viper, not everyone thinks that more power is always a good thing.

Last edited by elo; 11-21-2001 at 02:16 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 04:54 AM

Re: Re: Why choose an R6?

Quote:
Originally posted by elodello

First of all, the R1 is one of the most powerful bikes out there, and not everyone is able to handle them.

Second of all, not everyone WANTS to have the biggest/baddest/fastest bike out there. Most non-liter bike owners are quite happy on their 250's, 500's, 600's, 650's, 748's, 750's, 800's, 900's etc. Chances are good that the average yeahoo squid R1 owner you meet has never ridden the bike to it's fullest potential. The average yeahoo squid R6 owner has probably gotten a lot closer. (notice I said "average yeahoo squid owner", please don't flame me!)

Third, cost is a factor. The R6 costs less to buy and insure.

Here's a comparison: Why buy Porsche when you can buy a Viper? Not everyone wants a V-10, not everyone wants a viper, not everyone thinks that more power is always a good thing.
R6 is a wicked machine...tough to beat today's 600 class machines for performance...I find the power available in alot of the litre class machines is unuseable in alot of street riding applications (this means for the average rider). Take a good rider on an R6/ZX6/CBR 600 and they will give a rider on a litre class machine fits in the twisties...for others, the full power available on the open class bikes is important (for fat guys like me, or riders going two up, or ego maniacs who like the tire eating power available at their right wrist).

My thought on the initial question, it's price and performance that makes the decision for most people...although, for some it is also nice to have the 130+ HP underneath them...just a preference thing I guess.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Rio

Thanks. All of the posts made sense. I've not ridden a 600cc street bike so I cannot make the comparison.

Though that does bring me to another question. I've been thinking about a smaller bike specifically for the twisties in addition to the R1. Recently, they've added fuel injection to the R1. Is this worth waiting for in the R6? Or is the R6 better without the fuel injection? Or would I be better off with another brand such as Honda or Suzuki?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rio
Though that does bring me to another question. I've been thinking about a smaller bike specifically for the twisties in addition to the R1. Or would I be better off with another brand such as Honda or Suzuki?
An R1 and an R6? One of these days I'm going to know what it's like to have money to burn...or maybe not!
All seriousness aside, I'm having a little trouble seeing why you'd want both? Iff'n it was me (and it isn't), I'd either:
A. Keep the R1 since you already have it, and make your second bike something you can do a bit of travelling on comfortably. The degree to which you'd rather tilt the sport/touring equation depends on you: do you want to lean to the sport side/touring side/equal mix? Buying an R6 because it'll be better in the curves on the street probably means you're riding that sucker way too hard in public. If you're pushing both enough to really tell the difference on public roads (on a regular basis), your time is coming. The question is not if, but when!
B. Get the R6, since all other things being equal, ya can't argue with physics (less weight is good)! Sell/trade the R1 for a sport-tourer and re-read A from sentence 2!

Hey, if you're just a diehard sportbike-only fan, ignore all of the above. It would be shame to limit yourself to just one type of bike, especially since you seem to have no problem with owning 2. There are a lot of nice roads a bit too far away for a pure sportbike to comfortably enjoy, and sooner or later you may end up with a passenger, so it's a shame to limit your options. After riding around the same roads for what seemed to be 'bout the millioneth time with my original sportbike buddies, I wanted to check out new roads and see a bit of the world from the saddle of my bike. I'm still riding...none of the 'original' gang is...
Mebbe you should check out Motorcyclist Magazine’s January 2002 issue-Sport Tourers vs. Sportbikes?

Just something to think about...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rio
Thanks. All of the posts made sense. I've not ridden a 600cc street bike so I cannot make the comparison.

Though that does bring me to another question. I've been thinking about a smaller bike specifically for the twisties in addition to the R1. Recently, they've added fuel injection to the R1. Is this worth waiting for in the R6? Or is the R6 better without the fuel injection? Or would I be better off with another brand such as Honda or Suzuki?
Next year the R6's might come with FI and will have styling like the R1.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 01:43 AM

Yeah I was kind of wondering the same thing the other day. I was reading the specs on the new 954 and when i got to the weight I just couldn't believe it! It said the 954 dry was 370lb. (the exact weight of my 600) So is my F4i still better through the twisties or is the 954 going to have the best of both worlds? It has a sick amount of power and looks like it will be able to corner as well as a 600. Am I missing something here? What really makes a bike quicker through the turns? Besides the rider that is. (try not to get too technical, I don't want a science lesson please ) Thank you,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode