Largest flying object you have ever hit... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Largest flying object you have ever hit...

What is the largest object that has ever hit you or your bike and what was the result? I have heard some good stories but I would be willing to bet that there are better ones out there. This doesn't exclude rocks, tree branches, birds, bugs, planes...

Mine is pretty small but it did have an unpleasant ending. A large Mayfly (or mosquito eater) flew into my mouth. I was able to spit it out but man was it nasty...

-Kemosabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 10:51 AM

I wasn't wearing my jacket one day (hot as hell outside) just a t-shirt. I took a June Bug in the shoulder. It damn near took me off the bike, and it left a one inch diameter welt.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 11:36 AM

Cool Big "f"ing bug

I was out riding along Lk. Michigan back in the day and hit a moth that i swear had a 6" wing span. Needless to say I couldn't see a damn thing. (note to people don't try to wipe dead moths or butterflys off your shield......belive me) I had to ride home with my visor up and then every bug known to man and them some decided to do a mass sucide in my eyes and nose!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 11:57 AM

Re: Big "f"ing bug

Quote:
Originally posted by ungwaha
I was out riding along Lk. Michigan back in the day and hit a moth that i swear had a 6" wing span. Needless to say I couldn't see a damn thing. (note to people don't try to wipe dead moths or butterflys off your shield......belive me) I had to ride home with my visor up and then every bug known to man and them some decided to do a mass sucide in my eyes and nose!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate it when that happens...eerrrrrrr

I don't know what kind a bug it was, although I guess it was a large beetle of some sort. It hit the top right side of my helmet, and it rocked my head back like I'd been hit with a ball bat..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 12:14 PM

grasshopper kamakazi

I once was riding on the greenway, a beltway around Orlando. Its a big open road with few cars so I was going about 120. As I was passing by a pickup truck full of laborers, a grasshopper flew right into my path. I dont know what kind it was but they are over 3 inches in length. I see them around in fla during the summer. Anyway it hit my shoulder and exploded sending bug juice inside the zipper vent of my jacket and up under the helmet onto my neck. The impact felt like Id been hit with a snowball. No danger but very messy. The guys in the truck were all watching so they must have got a good laugh. I passed too quickly to see their reaction. Maybe they threw the damn thing, Ill never know. I had a yellowjacket fly in my helmet many years ago and sting me on the cheek. That was much worse. Ive also hit a few june bugs, they feel like rocks.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 03:32 PM

we were riding behind a couple cars and all of a sudden a wendy's take out bag popped up and got stuck right on my right turn signal, nothing bad happened, just pulled it off and tried to hit my friend who was riding behind me.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 03:47 PM

Another bug story here...

Some of you may remember my bug killer avatar...
I hit one of those huge monarch-looking butterflys. This one was so messy that it covered about a quarter of my shield and splattered its yellow goup across my helmet and even covered my shoulder so bad I washed my jacket twice (cordura of course).
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 10:35 PM

Unhappy flying-

lone county road 1045 pm june yes as I remember it was june that was about my look just before this cow,(in heat for the first time)that Ithought was behind a fence and in the ditch,came flyin' out on the road like a bucking bronco ,right in front of me she was a very healthy black and white soon to be a milker somewhere in the niehgborhood of 900 lbs. much more than me (170) and me 600 hurricane(450) anyway you do the math it comes out ugly. nothing you can wipe off your visor I might have got it down to 70 or so before she and the bike became as one .They both died. the story does go on with a few twists and turns but i end in the hospital around 1230 am with--
--broken ankle,left
--12-14 stiches right knee
-- 7 stiches right elbow
--walking bruise about a day to show
--respirator for two days bruised lung(like living in hell) still have night-mares about that damn "breathing machine"
--operation to remove spleen
-- two compression fractures between my shoulder blades(Ithink#7&#8)
--broken tooth wife think its sexy so its not going to be fixed until it causes problems
--purple right eye,doctor said'looked like it tried to pop out'
--both shoulders dis-located
--right collar bone seperated from sternam
-- one broken helmet and a partridge in a pear treee
three years to recover 90%,still have naging problems but a whole new out look on life ,one my x-wife didn't share,so like the bike I found a much better one .

Last edited by wedge; 11-21-2001 at 12:31 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 11:26 PM

Either an orange, bird or a bug but it was gross!

I'm really not sure what it was that I hit, but if it wasn't an orange, it had been eating oranges from the orchard we were passing in south Florida. It was as we passed a car, so not sure if someone threw it at me but basically it plastered the bottom edge of my helmet shield (thank goodness it was closed) and came in through the lower vent. It was sticky, lumpy and orange and splattered through onto my chin and lips and covered most of my visor. I almost barfed! Damn, I wish I knew what it was. I do know that it was difficult to clean off the shield and even worse to clean out of the little foam piece behind the vent in the chin. I'm getting naseous just thinking of it. Oh and did I mention that it almost tore my head right off!?!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 11:53 PM

Unhappy

Riding home for lunch one day and meet a cement truck coming the other way. A rock bounced off his truck and met my knee.

I thought it had busted my kneecap it hurt so bad. I could barely walk for 2 days.

I try to give those guys as wide a berth as possible ever since.

later,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode