reliability of japanese bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Question reliability of japanese bikes

Ok, we all know that honda has a reputation for making very reliable sportbikes, but what about the other japanese manufacturers like suzuki, kawasaki, and yamaha?

I'm considering getting a new bike and wondering if I should try another brand other than honda, but I don't want it breaking down on me all the time.

For those of you who have japanese bikes other than honda, what are your experiences?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 04:20 AM

In my garage I have my third and fourth Kawasaki's. I've also had 1 Honda too...

The bikes have been
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja 600e (sold)
2000 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja 6R
2001 Kawasaki Ninja 9R

As far as the kawasaki's I've only ever had one problem with them. the 6e blew the oil pressure sensor. Beyond that they have lasted a total of 30,000 between all of them and they haven't given me any headaches...

We had the Honda for about a year (4000 miles) and it was great too...no problems with it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 04:55 AM

I, or my friends have owned all the jap brands. Given any sort of reasonable maintenance they are all reliable. Not one lemon in the bunch. My 88 GSXR started last spring w/out a boost, no tune up, and no gas stabilizer after sitting in my garage for 5 months, I didn't even remove the battery. It's still running strong, although it could probably use a valve and carb adjustment.

My Yamaha snowmobile and outboard motor are of the start and forget type, just do the reg. maint

My experience with Honda goes further. Abuse the hell out them, and they still run. eg. We've run a XL125 with so little oil, the engine siezed, When it cooled down, we added oil, and started er up again and rode away!!! That was a 74 model that I and my kids still use (has 6000 miles on it), never a problem.

I love Japanese engines, my business uses a ford and a Suzuki for courier vehiles. Maintenance on the Suzuki is about 1/3 to 1/2 less than the Ford. (both have 140,000 mi. on them)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 05:58 AM

All the manufacturers have got a model or two that aren't great. But generally they all make good machines.

Just don't forget the most important thing in the selection process......The Dealer!
Pick a good one, don't know who's good? Ask the local rider.

Try it...........You'll like it!

Last edited by Grok; 11-20-2001 at 06:00 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 07:14 AM
elo

Arrow

Reliability when you're talking about Japanese bikes is like comparing a Toyota to a Toyota. They all take an amazing amount of abuse and keep on going.

Mind you, bikes are all high maintenance as compared to a car.

In my mind, the most important things are to buy the bike that is best for your riding skills, pocketbook, and whichever one is most comfortable for you. You're pretty safe with any one of the "Big Four."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 07:19 AM

Re: reliability of japanese bikes

Quote:
Originally posted by machinehead
Ok, we all know that honda has a reputation for making very reliable sportbikes, but what about the other japanese manufacturers like suzuki, kawasaki, and yamaha?

I'm considering getting a new bike and wondering if I should try another brand other than honda, but I don't want it breaking down on me all the time.

For those of you who have japanese bikes other than honda, what are your experiences?

Thanks in advance.
It's all in how you treat them. I bought one of the most reliable bikes around this summer. I bought it brand new and I put the transmission out of it a couple of weeks ago.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 08:10 AM

I can only agree with what's been said already, I've owned kawi, susuki's yamaha's and now a honda and i've not had any major problems with any of them but that's because i service them at regular intervals.... They're designed to be ridden hard not to poddle around on... Good luck and im sure you'll enjoy rideing whatever you buy...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 06:46 PM

Wink

Oh those "Jap" bikes.
You gotta go Harley!

Nothin says reliability like the oil leak in a Harley. Whenever you feel like cleaning some oil, it will be right there.

I'm only kidding. Please don't beat me up.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 01:23 PM

Cool

.....for what it is worth my Kat has over 22,ooo miles,(low miles I know compared to lots of you out there!!) and the only non-routine maintenance item I have had to replace was a voltage regulator. Not too bad I figure....!!

JIM
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 01:42 PM

Question Re: Re: reliability of japanese bikes

Quote:
Originally posted by KLRAdam

It's all in how you treat them. I bought one of the most reliable bikes around this summer. I bought it brand new and I put the transmission out of it a couple of weeks ago.

What the heck is a Aurelia Kalentosa 998?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode