02 Gsx-r750? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Smile 02 Gsx-r750?

First off I would like to say hello to everyone for I am new to this board. In the next month or so I have decided to buy a new street bike. I've had quite a bit of experiance riding motorcycles from harleys to dirtbikes and so on so I figured it was time to get what ive always wanted. I was wondering what everyones opinions are about a good street bike for what I will be doing. In the summer it will be used for commuting back and forth to college along with daily crusing and so forth. I dont want the fastest bike out there but do want something that has very good handling and maneuverability. It also would need to be pretty snappy around town and handle corners pretty well. What does everyone feel would be a good bike for me? I was looking at the 02 GSX-R750 but I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance everyone.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 03:42 AM

Well lets see;

You will surely get as many responses as there are bikes made for this question.

I say, if you like the gixxer and have enough skill/control to handle it, get it.

bottom line: Its a personal choice cuz their allllll good!

p.s., Welcome to SBW and good luck with the new ride!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 03:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
while not the best bike for commuting, the gsx-r750 is a great bike and will do it, but i am only 5'9. the 929rr was probably a better bike for what you wanna do. i don't know if the new 945rr will be as good for a city as the 929 is. also the zx-9r. but it's a viable option. just keep in mind it's not gonna be harley comfy.

another great choice is the aprilia falco. not the best looking bike (imo), but a great bike.

and yes, there are a million viable choices.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 03:57 AM

Welcome to SBW and get the one that you can get the best deal on
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 05:24 AM

I'm also keeping an eye out for a new ride, (come-on SANTA), These are my criteria:

1) Comfort: Get the one that sits the most comfortable, nothing worse than putting a stop to a good time because your back/wrists/neck hurts.

2) Style or focus of the bike. I need a bike to ride 2-up for sport touring. no point getting another GSXR.

3) Looks. No point spending all that money if your bike doesn't give you a thrill everytime you look at it.

4) Value

5) Dealer service. This is not manufacterer specific but more a local concern. Bikes are expensive and you should feel good about your dealer. On the other hand, you can usually find someone else if you're unhappy

The other factors such a performance and reliability shouldn't affect your decision. Not that they're not important, but all the Jap bikes are so close to each other that it won't affect real life riding.

If I were you I'd take a real close look at the GSXR 750, the Honda 929 (954), the ZX9r, and the VFR. In that order they go from the most sport focused to the more sport touring.

There are no bad bikes, so have fun & keep us updated (some of us have to live vicariously though our friends)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones response, I really appreciate it. I am pretty much down to 3 bikes. the GSX-R750, the ZX7 and the 929RR. Price is also a factor I have to consider. I don't have a set amount I will be able spend but I would like to get the best bike for the money I spend. Comfort is another factor that I am concerned with. Once again great replies eveyone, keep 'em coming!!!!

Matt
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 04:45 PM

My vote from your criteria is the zx9. More torque for around town (less shifting=less bother), I hear they're comfortable compared to more hard core race replicas like the 929/gsxr, and I bet you can get one at least as reasonably as the other choices as far as bang for buck. And as a beginner the 'slower' stearing of the zx9 will probably translate into 'just right/not too twitchy' for a rider switching from farmly-davidsons (oh come on, I can't believe I'm the first to take the cheap shot ). Seriously, just kidding, welcome to SBW and sportbiking in general. Once you feel semi-comfortable head over to northwest Arkansas. It's what sportbikes were meant for and without knowing where you are in OK it's probably the closest really good riding.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 12:33 AM

zx9r: 'cause it's cheap, it has more than enough power, and it's the most comfortable of the group. Last riding season a shop about 45min. from me was retailing brand new zx9r's out the door for $7600. Setup, freight, and everything included. It helps that the bikes haven't had a real update for a while, but they're still good rides with enough of everything to remain fun for decades to come.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 01:53 AM

Re: 02 Gsx-r750?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kilr95stang
I was wondering what everyones opinions are about a good street bike for what I will be doing. In the summer it will be used for commuting back and forth to college along with daily crusing and so forth. I dont want the fastest bike out there but do want something that has very good handling and maneuverability. It also would need to be pretty snappy around town and handle corners pretty well. What does everyone feel would be a good bike for me? I was looking at the 02 GSX-R750 but I am open to suggestions.
Matt
Well, don’t let those irritating (IF you own a YamaHondaZuki) ‘ZX-6R Crowned King of the World’ ads running topside influence your decision!
Depending on your size (I’m 5,10”/200 lbs), you might want to consider a 600cc sportbike instead of the big ones. Don’t be afraid to resist peer pressure and make up your own mind. I’d think for the type of riding you’re talking about, a 600cc sportbike might do nicely (unless you're carrying a passenger on a regular basis), and the 6R does have more midrange torque than the competition. I wanted something light(er) to play on (it always comes back to weight, doesn’t it?) and with more airflow around the rider than my Concours. The ZX-6R fit the bill nicely (also looked at a ZX-9R and R6). The advantages of the 6R:
Cheaper ($1000 off a new one-all dealers were discounting Kawasakis)
Lighter than a 9R (let anyone with a heavyweight ride a light bike down the road and watch ‘em come back grinning)
MUCH cheaper to insure (I’ve got a clean record)
Most midrange torque of any 600cc sportbike
Best wind protection of any 600cc sportbike (9R the same)
Great intake howl!
The 6R/9R (or VFR) are better all ‘round bikes (which sounds like what you’re looking for) than something as narrowly focused as a GSXR.
Check out the following post, particularly the Two Unlikely Bedfellows review:
https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...threadid=14069

Before you start thinking I’m ‘Kawasaki-only’, I’m not. It’s just at the time I bought, and based on my needs, their offerings fit the bill best at the time. Heck, when I showed up with my sportbike-riding buddies in ’86 on my Concours, you can imagine the abuse I suffered (“hey, what is that thing man…a Goldwing?"). Now sport-tourers are coming out the ying-yang (check out Motorcyclist Magazine’s January 2002 issue-Sport Tourers vs. Sportbikes). You’ll probably get much of the same with a 6R/9R (“well the mags say the R6/GSXR yadda yadda yadda”).
Decide what your needs are, and resist peer-pressure when making your choice! They don’t have to live with it, and chances are (if you make a wise choice), those deriding your decision will wander away from motorcycling while you’re still enjoying/exploring on yours.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Smile

I have pretty much boiled it down to two bikes. the ZX6R and ZX9R. I have read good things about both bikes offering comfort, vrsatility and power. I like the 6R because of it's light weight which equates to better handling. Withme being a bigger guy I think the 6R may lack something that a bigger bike could offer. And with a passenger this may be even truer. The 6R is cheaper and would bring cheaper insurance prices as all of you already know. I like the 9R because it will offer room to grow as my experiance grows. And in the summer my girlfriend will probably be with me most of the time. And with me being a bigger guy I think the 9R would be better suited for this situation than the 6R. And plus the 9R would be a little better matched with the R1's and 929's runnin around here. Although that may be an occasional issue it's not gonna play a part in my decision. . The 9R is a little more expensive and will be a little more to insure though. I'd like to hear some opinions between these two bikes. Information from riders with these specific bikes or any bikes will be more than appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode