Best things to do when pulled over - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Best things to do when pulled over

Ok, provided you actually stop when you're supposed to, what do you guys think are the best things to do to minimize your losses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 03:26 AM

Have a sticker with your local fire dept. logo on the windshield...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 03:31 AM

First, signal your intention to pull over (unless you are going to pull a runner!)

Take off your helmet...shut the bike off.
Lot's of Yessir/Nossir type responses...

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 04:03 AM

1. Signal and pull over to the right as soon as possible.
2. Shut the bike off.
3. Keep your hands where the officer can see them.
4. If you have to dig under your leathers or under the back seat, let the officer know before you do it.
5. BE POLITE !! BE POLITE !! BE POLITE !! (The quickest way to talk your way into a ticket is to be rude or argue. Telling the officer that he is wrong about how fast your were going is a sure way to get a ticket. What you're saying by that is: "you're stupid and don't know how to do your job" Also trying to argue points of the law with him is STUPID. Unless you're a lawyer, chances are the officer knows the law much much better than you do. Cops are human too....pissing them off makes them angry and they take that anger out on you by writing you a BIG ticket with every tiny little charge they can find. See that Yosh pipe you have there? Guess what....in many states that's illegal. Being a rude prick or agueing with the officer might get you written for that minor offense. Another fact for ya....just because the cycle shop sold it to you doesn't mean it's legal for street use...so don't bother arguing with him about that either. I know I'm ranting here.....but this is sage advice. BE POLITE !!
6. BE POLITE !!
7. If you do get written....always, always, always go to court and fight it. The worst the judge will do to you is make you pay the original ticket. On the other hand, you might get it reduced or thrown out. You've got nothing to lose by going to court and making a plea on to the mercy of the court. If you go to court....for god's sake....be polite, dress up and stick to the facts. Argue about the traffic infraction....not about things that don't matter to what YOU did. Don't argue that the officer was rude or the officer was speeding and I was only following him as fast as he was going. That doesn't make you innocent of speeding yourself. Don't try to argue that other cars around you were going just as fast, therefore you should get off. Think about it....."Yes, I murdered that person...but three other people murdered people that same night so it's ok"
8. it bears repeating....BE POLITE.

Here endeth the lesson.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 05:52 AM

Be Polite, But Don't kiss his/her ass!
Basically shut-up and don't give him any incriminating quotes for the court-case.

Try it...........You'll like it!

Last edited by Grok; 11-19-2001 at 05:55 AM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 06:24 AM

Pull over, turn the engine off, remove helmet and say yes officer im sorry I was going a little too quick when asked do you realise you were speeding... That normally works......
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 06:24 AM
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Red face

My best friend is a cop. He says that most of the cops on the Force where he's at have basically the same attitude. He says they'll pull someone over for going 75 in a 65 or something like that, with the intentions of letting the person off with a warning unless they develop an attitude. Don't start making excuses or telling BS stories. He says they let more people off that just say "Yes Sir, Sorry Sir" than people that say, "I just put a new exhaust system on and I wanted to see if the bike would run right" or "I'm late for work" because BS like that, he says, just makes them think that you're the type of person that's probably late for work everytime so they're gonna ticket you while they got you incase they don't see you again. So I would say just keep quite and only speak when spoken to....short, sweet, simple.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 06:29 AM

cry
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 09:22 AM

I got a written warning in Arizona from a cop named "Ace".
At least that's what the front plate on his car said, it was written over crossed pistols, scary, so I was nice to him.
He let me off because he didn't know what KMH was!!!
I told him you multiply MPH X 2 to arrive at KMH! He didn't really think so but he didn't have an answer, thus the warning.

At the time I was driving on the superslab and for the first time people were being real "nice" and pulling over to let me by, at least I thought so, until I passed ACE.

Try it...........You'll like it!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 09:27 AM

Ace

Quote:
Originally posted by Grok
I told him you multiply MPH X 2 to arrive at KMH
It's almost X 1.6 https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...threadid=13658

Was his last name Hole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode