The age old question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

The age old question

The age old question is what bike to get? I am signed up for the MSF course. I will be taking it in Dec. early in the month. Anyway, I am 6'-4" 210 lbs. no 2-wheel experience - some 4-wheelers. Anyway I plan on riding around the house on weekends and after work some. Just to start.... I would eventually like to work up to daily riding a 55 mile each way trek to work. I have always loved bikes, but only now have the money and guts to go for it. I am not interested in speed I know my right wrist works fine. I like the idea of stability and "predictable handling". I thought I would also put in that I am 27 years old w/wife and child. So first one to say go for the Gixxer 750 so I don't grow out of it will get the perverbial(sp) tack hammer to the forehead
Thanks for the feedback
P.S. lets try and keep this on subject for a little while anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 02:08 PM
SoWeGa

I got my first (street)bike, a Ninja 500R, a little over a year ago, and have found it to be a good choice. I've ridden F4is, 929s, R6s, and GSXR 600 and 750s, and, every time I hop off of one of those bikes, I am damn glad I started off with the EX500; it's very deliberate and predictable. However, once you get comfortable enough with it to push it a little, you'll find that it's a lot of fun; I've scraped the footpeg feelers on mine countless times.

I rode with a few squids (an F4i, a Duc 750, and an R6) last summer, and while I couldn't ride the long wheelie with them, I spanked their asses on every curve and hung with them most of the time (quick-shifting dorks. . .)

The EX is a great bike to learn on, and, past that, it's cheap to buy and insure. When I get a new bike in the summer (probably an F4i or ZX-6R), I'm gonna keep the 500 and make it a track bike.
The one thing I would reccomend that I didn't do is buy your first bike used unless you plan on keeping it for a long time.

Good luck in your search, and keep that tack hammer ready.

holla,

Ed
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 02:48 PM

Smile My opinion...

Buy a used:
EX500
F2
or F3

All reliable with decent power, great quality, can be had for a good price, fun to ride at any skill level and reasonable to insure.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 04:56 PM

How about the Suzuki SV650S. Might need to upgrade suspension for you weight, about 200 bucks for the front for springs and gold valves.

ZX600 or YZF600R (not the race rep 600r or R6 respectively) are good comfortable bikes for someone your size and not considered twitchy.
Good luck.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 08:12 PM

I think a 2-cylinder, like the ones already mentioned are great if they fit. Maybe this>>Alternate bike choice Web site. is worth looking into. I'm only 6'3" tall but this type of bike is extra roomy and can take lotsa weight.
As a beginners bike, this type would be hard to beat because, they are easy to handle and they can take a drop without costing you an arm and a leg. Then you can move onto something bigger.
There are different bikes like this out there, But I know you can find lotsa hop-up parts for this motor.

Try it...........You'll like it!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I was wondering, I found a Ducati Monster 600 cheap. $2500 for 2000 model 3000 miles. Are these good bikes. I love the Ducati 748/998 styling (who doesn't), but I thought the monster may be cheaper and better to start out on. The EX500 is also a consideration of mine so thanks. Is there any opinion of the monster 600?
Thanks,
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kawi jm
Thanks for the input. I was wondering, I found a Ducati Monster 600 cheap. $2500 for 2000 model 3000 miles. Are these good bikes. I love the Ducati 748/998 styling (who doesn't), but I thought the monster may be cheaper and better to start out on. The EX500 is also a consideration of mine so thanks. Is there any opinion of the monster 600?
Thanks,
That would work, Ducks need more TLC than a Japanese bike though.

Try it...........You'll like it!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 07:09 AM

The Duc sounds like an excellent deal, perhaps a little too good, so make sure you check it out thoroughly and perhaps by an experienced Duc motohead. The money you save walking away from a problematic machine is well worth it.

On the other hand, if it's in decent shape, I think it's an outstanding choice, especially considering your substantial dimensions. Too many of the starter bikes are rather cramped for a big dude.

Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycles.

Kev

(editted due to sleepless horid typing, )

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

Last edited by Tahoe; 11-19-2001 at 09:21 AM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 09:13 AM

I know that I will probably regret this due to the abuse I might get from other SBW members but....have you looked at the Katana 600? They are not expensive, cheaper to insure, pretty comfortable to ride (classified as a sport-tourer) since you will use it to commute, and they are pretty good beginner bikes. They are quick enough but you have to want to go fast. Not like the supersport class of 600s. The only downside I can think of it that it is very heavy (for me) but this shouldn't be an issue for a guy your size. Good luck and I hope this helps.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 11:13 AM

One problem with the Monster 600 for you might be the seat height. The seat on those guys is like 29". For '02 the 600 is injected and picks up dual disk on front... at your height, man it would be like doing the splits when you stop! Sit on one and see. The 750 monster is just slightly higher but I don't remember how much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode