Need help choosing a better tire! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Need help choosing a better tire!

First of all this is my first post and I would like to say that you guys kick ass. I have a question I'm sure you can answer. On my '96 Zx-6 I have Dunlop d207 tires. I live about 40 miles away from my school campus and my bike is my main (or preferred) mode of travel. As you can imagine I have developed a flat spot all around my rear tire. My question is this, Which tire or tires are better for interstate type riding? I know the D207 is a softer tire which helped cause the flat spot. I am looking for a harder tire that doesn't give up to much sticky performance, that would last longer than the D207. Thanks!

Adrenalin Junkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 05:40 AM
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Re: Need help choosing a better tire!

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrenalin Junkie
First of all this is my first post and I would like to say that you guys kick ass. I have a question I'm sure you can answer. On my '96 Zx-6 I have Dunlop d207 tires. I live about 40 miles away from my school campus and my bike is my main (or preferred) mode of travel. As you can imagine I have developed a flat spot all around my rear tire. My question is this, Which tire or tires are better for interstate type riding? I know the D207 is a softer tire which helped cause the flat spot. I am looking for a harder tire that doesn't give up to much sticky performance, that would last longer than the D207. Thanks!

Adrenalin Junkie
Try D205's.....longer life than the 207's but no where near as good of a performance tire.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 05:45 AM

d 205's suck

I've almost killed myself riding on bikes fitted with those POS's more than once. They slide all over the place at any decent lean angle.

I would go with either the Metzeler ME Z3, or for a little more grip with less mileage, the ME Z4

Both excellent tires with enough grip if you're going highway riding, but the ME Z3 will last a bit longer.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 05:50 AM
Pete

The Bridgestone BT020 is another recommendation.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
The Bridgestone BT020 is another recommendation.
YES....I second the emotion on the
Bridgestone BT020....
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam McFarland

YES....I second the emotion on the
Bridgestone BT020....
I third the emotion on the BT020...I normally would ride an 010, but my new FZ1 came stock with the 020's...and I've gotten 3200 miles of hard charging canyon railing out of that 020 rear and its still got alot of tread left. The tire is designed as a sport touring tire, so it has a slightly harder compound than a D207 or BT010, and will give you the mileage that you want for daily commuting and will resist getting a flat spot more than the 207/010's...

They are also sticky enough when they get heated up that you can get your bike into the twisties pretty aggressively without much worry that the tires won't hold...

Great tire in my experience...

Last edited by tsisson; 11-14-2001 at 06:29 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tsisson

I third the emotion on the BT020...I normally would ride an 010, but my new FZ1 came stock with the 020's...and I've gotten 3200 miles of hard charging canyon railing out of that 020 rear. The tire is designed as a sport touring tire, so it has a slightly harder compound than a D207 or BT010, and will give you the mileage that you want for daily commuting and will resist getting a flat spot more than the 207/010's...

They are also sticky enough when they get heated up that you can get your bike into the twisties pretty aggressively without much worry that the tires won't hold...

Great tire in my experience...
Yes, I had them on my 2000 Suzuki Bandit
1200. I had over 5000 miles on my tires
before the bike was lost in the flood.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 06:49 AM

What about the new dual compound D208's???
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CBR Brutha
d 205's suck

I've almost killed myself riding on bikes fitted with those POS's more than once. They slide all over the place at any decent lean angle.
Yup, just ask jtensuan. He totalled his monster on 205's.

Quote:
I would go with either the Metzeler ME Z3, or for a little more grip with less mileage, the ME Z4

Both excellent tires with enough grip if you're going highway riding, but the ME Z3 will last a bit longer.
Second that. I've got the Z3's with 2500 miles and 3 track days on them and they are only about half done (although no more track days because of heat cycle concerns, but still fine for the street). A very good all around tire, a bit slow to turn, but very stable. Highly recommended.

I posted a really good review about a month or so back done on about 20 or so different tires. Search the daily rider forum and you should be able to find it.

Update- never mind, I found it: http://www.tl1000.com/pb_tires/sport_rider_sep_2001.htm

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike

Last edited by Stake; 11-14-2001 at 07:18 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
What about the new dual compound D208's???
You have to be a licensed racer to even get your hands on a set of d208GP's. Also, they would be absolutely horrible for the street after about 2 hours. They are strictly race tires. Bad for rain. Bad for longevity, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode