Mr Toad Experience - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mr Toad Experience

Two Sundays back, my wife and I were headed into the mountains north of Atlanta and I had a real Mr Toad Experience. I have been breaking the wife into the idea that I am getting a bike... and sort of aquainting her with the differences between sport bikes and cruisers. Up GA 400 I pointed out the differences between each bike coming our way (See, that's another cruiser (spit). Look! Look! Here comes another beautiful sport bike (Huge grin)). Yep. Un-huh. Un-huh.

Well, I played that game all through the flat land and when we turned onto the 2-lane US 19 I pulled us into the gas station and, lo and behold, there were six sport bikers, all leathered up; topping off. We finished first and hit the road ahead of them and, pulling out, I was twisting and turning in the seat like a little kid, "That's a Ninja! Oooh look, a GIXER!" and so on.

Anyway... I figure they are probably going the other way (my general luck) and began to concentrate on my own thing. We have a VW Jetta with a 5spd and V6, so it likes to do "carving" in its own way and I am hanging it out till, of course, we catch up to an old fart in a huge brand new Caddy going around the curves at about 5 mph. That puts a cork in the carving but I figure soon this guy is going to pull off because of all the traffic he is holding up behind us. WRONG! Mile after mile this guy blocks everything. (My wife senses the building frustration and decides its a good time to field strip the SIG. )

Then I notice that slow but sure, the six sport bikes we left behind are working their way up to me and "Old Fart". Soon, it's him, me and six bikes. Well, I've been riding this guy's bumper, waiting for a hole big enough to punch through, for what seems like a 100 miles (probably 10 or so), but I figure maybe it's time to leave a space big enough for the bikes to land between us because they can get past him a hell of a lot easier than I can. Anyway, I back off about 50 yards from him, start hugging the right shoulder and try to communicate with the lead bike via some rudimentry hand signals (not yet, not yet, not yet...) so he knows for sure that I see him.

Then it happens... we pop around a sharp right and there is at least 200-300 yards of clear straight road ahead. I do the old "Forward Hoooo!!" arm signal and the bikes just explode around, not just me, but him too! Waa..Waa....Waaa... Waa.. Waa... Waa... The short straight ends in a good left and the lead guy just leans it over and sweeps through... then five more do the same thing and they are ...gone. I let out a Rebel Yell that scares hell out of my wife.

By damn! Just watching that made me roar! That has to be the finest thing short of flying. I gotta get some of that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 01:16 AM

Valium. V.A.L.I.U.M, Joss. Take some! (I get just as excited as you, except my girfriend punches me and gets pissed...)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 01:36 AM
elo

Talking Word of Advice...

If your wife is not especially warm to the idea of you riding a bike, letting out a rebel yell when they start tearing it up on the road may not be the best way to go about it.

But we all know how you feel!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 02:17 AM

Exclamation it is exciting

for sure...

but it takes time before you can do stuff like that if you havent much seat time...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 02:37 AM

GREAT story man...absolutely great. Click here

Last edited by CBR_Brutha; 11-14-2001 at 06:11 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 02:46 AM

Ok. I am leaving work early and going to ride! I agree with CBRbrutha. Great post!

My ex-GF could never understand why I got so excited everytime I heard/saw a bike go by, or why I can seem to spend endless amounts of time and money on my bike, watching racing, etc.

Oh well, now I can spend my time looking for a woman who will not only understand, but maybe wnat to ride as well!.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 03:41 AM

Thumbs up exactly

Nice thread...the way I see it, riding a sport bike is the closest thing to absolute freedom I will ever know. Especially in these times its great to turn off the news throw on the gear and take a nice long ride. One of those rides where you feel like nothing and the world could bring you down...(or catch you )

CBRrider
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 04:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to UndrTkrCd Send a message via Yahoo to UndrTkrCd
Thumbs up Ditto

Great thread! I'm the same way! If I'm outside and hear an HD go by, big deal. They're a dime a dozen around here. But if I hear a sportbike coming down the road, I make a special effort to get a view to see what it is! Then when it passes, I just smile and say, "Kewl!"

CD
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 06:45 AM

Re: Mr Toad Experience

That is awesome!!

Great story!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 07:08 AM

YIP YIP YIP YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode