LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Question suv knocks my bike over

my bike was parked in front of my house when a neighbor backs into it,
with a blazer .it fell over on its left side the plastic is scuffed and gouged
the tank is dented,the clutch handle broke the tail section on the left side
cracked,my exhaust pipe is dented.his insurance state farm called me to
ask if i had an estimate my local dealer is charging me 62 bucks for and
estimate.i am not going to fix it because i was buying a 2001 zx6r anyway.
but statefarm said they dont estimate bikes ever heard this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 03:56 PM

Sorry to hear about your bike.....you know it's getting bad when you can't even park at your house without getting hit by a cage.....

Anyway, I have heard that quite a few insurance companies do not have adjusters "qualified" to write estimates on motorcycles, but I think when all is said and done, you will get reimbursed for the cost of the estimate.

Good Luck getting everything settled.....
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 05:48 PM

insurance

Since your neighbors insurance is going to be footing the bill, have a shop you trust do the estimate to have everything replaced. The insurance people will then try to say "oh, that doesn't need to be fixed, a little paint will take care of that", so you need a shop that will fight for you, and don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. Then they'll cut you a check (including a reimbursement for the shop estimate)... whether you actually have the repairs done or not is up to you.

At least that's the way it's worked for me the two times I've been hit by cagers, YMMV.

Mike

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 01:44 AM

I am sorry to hear about your bike, bro.

If anyone messes w/ you about paying, or anything of the sort, please refer to the "Revenge Tips, Please" thread. there are all sorts of ideas there that can help you feel better about yourself!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 01:46 AM

I had the same thing happen to me. My neighbor knocked over my bike in my driveway. She said she lost her brakes. She decided to use my bike to stop her. Anyways, the insurance guy said that he didn't have the qualifications to accurately estimate a motorcycle. He told me to bring it to a dealer. I had just bought the bike 3 months before so I was pretty pissed off. I dropped it off at the dealer and told them I wanted it just like I picked it up 3 months ago, BRAND NEW! The said OK, wrote up the estimate, which came out to 3 thousand dollars, sent it to the insurance company. Once the bike was done, they sent out a check. The insurance company didn't question it. I thought it was a lot for the damage, but I think they don't have a lot a experience to gauge the damage, so they will take the dealers word for it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 01:58 AM
elo

Arrow

Never, ever get a vehicle (two wheeled or four) estimated by an insurance company. Or if you do, use it as a jumping off point for negotiations. These people are trained in not estimating correctly, and most have little if any mechanical knowledge at all. You are entitled to going out and getting (I think) up to three outside estimates, and you can negotiate final settlement from there. I'd consider it a blessing that State Farm told you to go to a bike shop and get it fixed.

If I were you, even if I weren't going to fix the bike, get the estimate, tack that cost on to the final settlement, and use the money from the insurance company to buy yourself something for the new bike.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 02:12 AM

I don't think that I would let my insurence company estimate if they could. I use state farm for my car insurence, and they have done a great job. If you ask me....take your bike to a dealership for the estimate. turn in your estimate to the insurence. Fix the lever, then pocket the rest towards your new bike and sell the old as is.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 05:24 AM

Please see revenge thread in the chat forum!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 07:51 AM

Same thing happened to me. I got an estimate, 4300 bucks including labor. I told the insurance company I was going to fix it up myself, and they even let me keep the 959 bucks labor!!! They paid me 1000 bucks to fix my bike, which took about 3 hours. That aint too bad. Anyway, it was state farm. I got an estimate from a dealer, took the bike to state farm, the adjuster looked at it for like 3 seconds, went inside, and reutned with a check for 3800. I had a 500 deductible. Sounds pretty good to me anyway.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 08:00 AM

Shane, your a liar.... Your bike wasn't worth 50 bucks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode