Almost met the Grim Reaper today - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Almost met the Grim Reaper today

Hello, all. I just want to start off by saying that i'm ecstatic to still be alive today. I had the scare of my life that I would like to share with everyone. It all started on a nice morning ride on my 2001 F4i. I had been riding all morning and I decided to get on a busy 4 lane highway here in Jacksonville. Well, it has an "on ramp" like a freeway. The on ramp is a really smooth right hand sweeper with trees on the inside of the road, which makes it a "blind" curve. Well, anyway I was coming around the curve and onto the ramp at about 50 mph (approaching the acceleration lane). As soon as I cleared the "blind spot", I spot the taillights of a Monte Carlo that is totally stopped in the acceleration lane waiting to get over. I was still partially leaned over as it was the exit of the curve, so all I could do was slam on my brakes. Well when I did this the back tire locked up and the next thing you know the right hand side of the bike was sliding ass-end toward the bumper of the Monte. I countersteered to try and avoid it and my exhaust canister slammed into the edge of the bumper, bouncing me into the traffic lane. I kept the bike upright and luckily there weren't any cars nearby. I pulled over and saw my exhaust canister (the slip on piece) sitting in the road. I still cannot believe that I got this lucky. All that happened was the factory canister got a dent in it where it smacked the bumper, and the underail subframe where the exhaust canister and passenger peg mounts is cracked. Total cost of damages??? Well, I got a 78 dollar ticket for careless driving, undertail subframe is 266 bucks, and I don't know what kind of exhaust i'll be getting to replace the factory one. I also don't know how much it will cost to fix the cars bumper. (it's the new monte carlo with the cheap plastic bumper....all it has is surface scratches) Either way, I got really really lucky. It could have been a hell of a lot worse. Anyway, just thought i'd share it with everyone and ITS GREAT TO BE ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get back in the saddle!
ERIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Oh, yeah....I just wanted to add that I think it's really F#c&ed up that I got a ticket for careless driving when the broad I hit was totally stopped in the acceleration lane. I told the cop that it's called and acceleration lane for a reason. He didn't find my sarcasm funny. That's what I hate about these damn Florida drivers!!!!! The word "merge" is not in their vocabulary!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 07:36 AM

Sounds like you had a lucky escape today.. The ticket does sound hard i must admit.. Bloody women drivers...

Oh shit i've started something now ha ha

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 07:56 AM

Fight it in court, you cant stop in the middle of the ****in rode and impede traffic like that. She should have gotten a ticket. Fight it, you'll win.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 08:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Some dumbass was stopped in a traffic lane and the f#*king pig wrote you a ticket? That is totally ridiculous.
I'd sue the bitch and fight the ticket.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 12:52 PM

Stopped in the lane Sounds like she must be at fault in some form.
Quote:
it's the new monte carlo with the cheap plastic bumper
Ha, thats what you think. You would be suprised at how much they actually are. I would threaten to sue her or maybe you could be persuaded to let it go if you both agree to pay your own costs.
Heres one for her
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 01:23 PM

WTF is up with that?!?!?

Glad to hear you're okay. Good save.

Good luck fighting "The Man"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 12:59 PM

I have a pipe for a 2000 f4 sitting in my closet right now. It's in perfect condition, all nicely polished and shined, and will fit directly onto your bike, because Honda didn't change the cans even though they changed the carbs to FI. Anyway, if you want it, I'll ship it to you and it'll save you a few hundred bones. Just pay shipping and it's yours.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot CBR Brotha. That's a very generous offer. However, I read (i think it was on motorcycle online) where the exhaust system was changed for 2001 for more top end power. Maybe it was just the internals of the canister that changed. I'm gonna do some research, and if it was only the internals that changed and the bracket will still line up, i'll give you a holla. Thanks again!! Hopefully it will fit.
ERIC
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CBR Brutha
I have a pipe for a 2000 f4 sitting in my closet right now. It's in perfect condition, all nicely polished and shined, and will fit directly onto your bike, because Honda didn't change the cans even though they changed the carbs to FI. Anyway, if you want it, I'll ship it to you and it'll save you a few hundred bones. Just pay shipping and it's yours.
That was pretty cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode