Bike for taller rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Bike for taller rider

Alright- I have a question for all you experts in here. I've been riding dirt for the past 11 years and have decided to invest in a street bike. My problem is I'm 6'4 215lbs. I've ridden a few 600's and found those a little to small. I was wondering what bikes you guys would recommend. I have a lot of experience on a motorcycle- but not on the street. What is the best suited street bike for a guy my size and weight? I fell in love with the look of the R6, but it was too small.
I appreciate any expertise you guys can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 08:02 AM

I don't know exactly what type of sportbike you're looking for, or what you plan on doing with it, but I'll tell you that you're not "too" big for many of the bikes.

I'd recommend checking out the following:

Kawasaki ZX-9R
Honda VFR-800
Aprilia Falco

Just to name a few. Are you interested in new or used? What type of riding will you be doing? There are a number of considerations that you need to address. Good luck though, I'm sure you'll get more responses here than you need.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 08:15 AM

For me personally (6' @ 205-210) think that a ZX-9R would be a good bike. If you are really confident in ability try out a ZX-11.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 10:20 AM

Cant really help as I am a Short Arse. But good luck any way in the hunt for the right Bike
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 12:29 PM

Talking

From another point of veiw, I'm 6'2", and 170#'s. My son is 6'6" and 270, I ride a gixxer 600, my son has riden as well, and didn't consider it too small..nor do I. The thing you have to understand is, the riding postiton on some sportbikes, i.e. the gixxer, R6..is what's know as a head down ass up style, like higher pegs, lower bars, which strech ya out over the tank, and make these bikes seem like they are small, when in fact, for spirited road riding, or track riding, or racing,this is prefered, where as a Kaw, or Honda, are more upright, and much more comfy for most folks..Oh..and stay away form the high end Duc's

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 04:13 PM
elo

Question

Have you considered a dual sport? They are about the tallest bikes I can think of.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 07:21 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Talking My .02 cents

Well, I am 6'5" 230. I had a dual sport, but it was not all that great. Then I got my VFR, and have not looked back. It might be a tad on the small side, not by much though. It handles great for being as tall as I am. Might want to look into a Sport Touring bike. Is there any size as far as cc's that you are trying to stick with?

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2001, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

As far as size goes- I was gonna try to stick in the 600 to 750 range for my first street bike. Of course I'm looking for a used bike to commute to school and work on-so a lot of city driving- but I'm also out in the middle of nowhere- so 200+ mile trips on weekends. What are you guys opinions on the Kaw zx6r,zx7r and the Honda f4i?
Thanks for your replies so far.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2001, 07:10 AM

Sounds like you are looking maybe for a smaller bike but my experience on 1000's has been very good.
My YZF 1000 from 1997 (i.e. not an R1, here for a single year, still in production in Europe) has been great. I'm 6'2" and ~190 and extremely comfortable on this bike. I can almost sit straight up with no weight on my wrists if I hug up close to the tank but can also get into a good track position with a little more weight on the bars for leverage if needed. For around town it's great since it's a 5 speed there is more speed range per gear so less shifting, it'll pull cleanly from 2500 rpm if needed too. It was bike of the year for many mags around the world before the R1 came along in 98 to reset the standards for race replicas in the litre class. Handles great too, check out the pics on the track day forum.

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...threadid=14042

I've heard great things about the ZX9 too, ridden a ZX11 a couple times and think you'd fit well on that too. Don't necessarily fear the bigger bikes. With your dirt experience and living in Lubbock (been there a couple times) I don't think you'll have trouble if you take it slow for a couple months and take the MSF course before you ride on the street.

Good luck and don't forget, they can't hurt you if you simply consider yourself invisible and that the ones who do see you are going to try to kill you. Don't be afraid but trust no one to do what makes sense.

Let us know what you decide.

PS if you want to try a 600 first look at the ZX6 (not 6R) or the YZF600R (not R6).

PPS get some help with suspension setup so the bike, no matter what size it is, is set up for you especially the spring preload. Aim for no more than 1.5 inches of sag.

Last edited by apexismaximus; 11-10-2001 at 07:17 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 01:53 AM
elo

I agree, the YZF600R would probably be one of the more comfortable bikes for your riding requirements. And far easier on the pocketbook than their racier counterparts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode