Embarrassing MSF Moments - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Embarrassing MSF Moments

Inspired by the recent thread regarding dropping the first bike, I thought this might be interesting.

During my class, I nearly ran over the instructor. The bad thing about it was she was this little 70 year old lady. I was doing the quick obstacle avoidance excersize, where you ride along a path that eventually splits 90 degrees left or right and then turns back to the orginal direction again. You are supposed to ride straight at the split and the instructor signals at the last minute which way to turn. Well, this little old lady would stand right at the split! I don't think that they are supposed to do that. So there you are, riding right at her! Just as you think you are about to hit her, she signals and you are SUPPOSED to turn. Well, it kind of freaked me out and I panicked, gunned it and went straight.

Man! That little old lady could move when she needed to!

The second time I tried it she didn't wait so long before signalling. That time I turned, gunned it and got the front wheel of the ground alittle. But missed her! I thought for sure she would fail me on the spot. She just laughed and clapped her hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 06:05 AM

Re: Embarrassing MSF Moments

LOL!!

That's funny!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 06:21 AM

i came to the realization in the MSF class that there are a lot of people who have no business riding a cycle. let alone mix it up on the city streets. there were 4 people in the class who would stall/drop/crash/ totally miss the excersice at least once a day. and they all have a license. be afraid be very afraid.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 06:29 AM

Well having never ridden on a motorcycle in my life I decided like just about everyone here that it was a good diea to take the coruse before I picked up my brand new 2001 R6 THANK GOD I DID!

Anywya. So it took me like about 10 minutes to get used to riding. Then I figured out the counter steering thing in about 5 min. So here I am on the Honda 125 doing the cone weaving obstacle and the instructor at the end is watching all of us. I always waited until the person in front of me was almost all of the way through the cones before I went. Both instructors were yelling at me to go LOL So I'd start off slow at the first cone and then dumper the bike in and out of the turns, gunning it at every cone. Needless to say by the time I got to the end, the instructor would be getting out of the way I was going so fast LMAO

Then on Sunday morning, they let us warm up the bikes. Well I got there like 1 hour earlier than everyone else. So I took it upon myself to do fastest lap in the parking lot Well about 7:40 more people started showing up and started riding around the course. Well there was really only one other guy out there that owned a sportbike and this other sexy girl that her BF bought hera 250 something. The other guy said when he got there he could here me squealing the tires when I was going in the corners. He siad I left tire marks too

Did Anyone else get their 250 into 4th Gear? About that time one of the instructors stopped me and said, "Why don't you slow it down a little? You're scaring everyone else and me."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 06:37 AM

a guy a know did a stoppie during the braking drill. i could hear the instructor screaming from across the parking lot.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 06:58 AM
elo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Nappyboy
i came to the realization in the MSF class that there are a lot of people who have no business riding a cycle. let alone mix it up on the city streets. there were 4 people in the class who would stall/drop/crash/ totally miss the excersice at least once a day. and they all have a license. be afraid be very afraid.
I had those people in my class too. One guy who could obviously ride failed on a technicality. One woman passed who was scared of her own shadow and couldn't shift.

I hope she's still alive!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elodello

I had those people in my class too. One guy who could obviously ride failed on a technicality. One woman passed who was scared of her own shadow and couldn't shift.

I hope she's still alive!
We had a lady who dumped the bike twice in the first hour of the class. She had already bought herself a bike and I give her alot of credit for not leaving. She was one of the reasons that I decided to buy a 250. And (very embarassing) the instructor made me take the test twice because I totally messed up on the stopping exercise. I was fine the whole weekend but just got really nervous on the test. Pretty nice of him to test me again by myself.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 07:29 AM

I had a lot of fun in my MSF class. I got a perfect score, 100% riding, 100% written. They were calling me "Pegs" cause I dragged the pegs in evey turn. Not really hard to do on a Nighthawk 250.

At one point we were all sitting there waiting for the scared guy to finish one exercise. So, I'm getting bored, and decide to do a burnout on that little 250. I climb up on the tank, with my feet down by the front tire, so there is no weight on the rear. I rev it up, I slide the clutch out.... little 250 smoking tire. I smear the back end around a little, the quick sit down in the seat as the instructor turns around. Slowly I raise my hand.... and point at the guy next to me. (as smoke billows away from my bike.)

Fortunately the instructor found it humerous, and merely commented on how bad the clutch was getting in that bike already, and that I didn't need to make it worse.

I couldn't believe that the one guy passed... He could barely hold up his little 250, and was going to pick up his 600 pound full dress harley as soon as he cashed in his certificate. I hope he survived.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 08:00 AM

Talking Riding a 929 in MSF

One of the guy in my MSF class was taking the class to get discounts on his insurance. He insisted on using his own brand new 929 for the training session. Well, there is this exercise where you're pair up with a partner and take turn pushing each other while on your bike across the parking lot, no one wanted to pair up with him because he's got a heavy looking bike. Anyways, the guy kept riding his 929 until the slalom or the cone weaving excercise and he dumped his bike. I guess the guy in front of him was going too slow and you know how heavy a 929 is while going slow...Anyways he failed the test because he ran over too many cones with his 929.

He did however, get a lot of envy look from the rest of us and the instructor as well. He got up from the accident smiling even though the signal and the mirror were all scratche up, oh and the transmission cover too...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 01:05 PM
bs72069

damn i must be getting old because i cant remember anything bad happening when i went through the course in 1993. besides i was the only sportbike in the class and the instructor telling me to lean it over more when i turn. im going to go through it again as soon as i get my bike running right again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode