bike goes down, insurance goes up... advice? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

bike goes down, insurance goes up... advice?

Doh!

A little sand in a turn results in my first bit of get-off on my (gulp) 4 week old bike... and over $3000 in cosmetic damage!

My insurance company has found me 51% or more at fault in this incident, which will result in my rate doubling and one point on my license (in CA, 2 points in 3 years = bye bye license). They say I did not maintain a sufficient lookout.

I'm pretty much resigned to my rate going up, but is there anything I can say to possibly reduce my % of fault? Maybe they don't fully understand what happened? or maybe they understand all too well

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 09:43 PM

I can't help you with any advice on what to say to you'r insurance company as i live in the UK but i'm interested in the points thing you mentioned ( 2 points in 3 years and it's by by licence ) Jesus that's really harsh.. Over here you can get 13 points and then you lose you'r licence so all the time you have 12 points and under your ok apart from the increased insurance premiums.. The ponits are on your licence for 3 years then they are removed. I have a friend who got caught by 2 different Gatso's on the way home from Donnington Park for speeding and ended up with 6 six points on his licence in one day So 2 points in 3 years does seem harsh.....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 12:34 AM

Exclamation dumb insurence companies!

Most likley the person you are talking to is dumber than a rock when it comes to bikes. Explain to this person how you couldn't have seen sand, it's an unpredictable event. You tried to save it but you were already commited. Give em some BS, about what happened, they will try and screw you over so bad, so I wouldn't feel bad about throwing in some white lies, red and blue ones too. You might be able to work a deal out with em too as far as money. I know this is selling myself but My company would repaint your entire bike back to 100% stock, fixing 100% of the damage so you can't tell for $1150 (including tank). Price goes down from there, if the plastic isn't too bad, things go smooth......... thats about 1/3 the cost of buying new, so maybe if you said you would be interested in going that route if they wouldn't hold you as reliable would help. Make sure you tell them you are asking for this because YOU ARE NOT AS RELIABLE AS THEY SAY!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 03:53 AM

i have come to the conclusion that insurance companies will never give you a fair deal. they never want to help you out, because it means they have to give you some money. If they did that agents would have to drive normal celicas and civics instead of lexus. I wish i could tell them i was only going to give them 49% of the premium since they did less then a half ass job on my last claim. You must fight them for every inch. Never accept what they tell you. Legal letter head tends to help them see things your way. If you can, get a third party to make an assesment of your responsibility. Did you get a ticket? the law doesn't seem to think it was your fault. and definately look at repair instead of replace, less money they have to give you the more they like you. here is to the whole insurance community
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Talking perhaps I exaggerated a bit

Upon re-reading the letter... you don't really lose your license with two points over 3 years, you just lose the "good driver discount" on insurance. Doh!

At any rate, in CA if you are principally at fault (greater than 51%) in an accident with no injuries, you get 1 point. With injuries you get 2.

Sorry for the mix up. I suppose I'll write and beg a bit, it certainly can't hurt. Thanks for the advice!
Mike
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 10:30 AM
jrm

Read the "Lesson Learned" post near this one to see why your insurance company hikes your rates so bad--they have to buy this dude a new Ducati!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 08:14 PM

This is the oldest trick in the book. DO NOT tell your insurance company you fell from sand on the road or from not making a turn, etc. Instead, you tell them someone pulled out in front of you and you had to lay the bike down. The driver of the car then kept going, probably not noticing you went down. This will fall under the "uninsured motorist" clause and it won't be considered your fault. If need be, get a friend that rides vouch for you, saying he saw the whole thing. Oh, the best part...you dont get a single point on your record or pay a deductible. Remember this...cause you may need to use this. Happy riding

peace out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode