Thinking about painting my bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thinking about painting my bike

I have a 95 ZX900R. I love the bike's size and riding position for taller riders. The thing is when I was looking for bikes, all the new paint schemes were awsome. Mine in 95 looked sweet, but now it is a bit dated. My idea is to do the Erion 929RR paint scheme but with the new Team Kawi neon green where the red is on the CBR. Oh, and I would polish the rims.

Here is the questions:

How well does paint hold up on bikes. They seem like the factory does a gel coat that is extremely tough.

Next, how will this affect resale.

Flat out I will be putting on the best quality paint job on it I can.

Lastly, should I just wait to get my next bike and screw the paint job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 09:33 AM

A good paint job will be just as good as the factory, maybe even better.

As for re-sale value, it will effect it. Most people who view a bike which has been "customized" think that you are trying to hide some type of damage or the bike has been fixed up after a crash. A friend of mine has had a couple of his bikes painted. A Fireblade done in the Castrol Racing colours and a Super Blackbird in Repsol colours(!! ) are two that come to mind. He did this when both were brand new. He lost a packet when he sold them as everyone thought they were crash damaged repaired.

The amount of $$ this will cost depends on who and how well you want the job done. My 2 cents worth would be to save the money you'd spend on paint and put it towards the next bike.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 02:44 PM

Thumbs up Paint Jobs!

Smeg is right people have their doubt's when it comes to custom paint jobs. I've had three sportbikes and the last two had custom paint jobs and I've sold them for more than I bought them for, that's all a toss up. I've had only minor rock chips happen to mine, just from daily riding and it was painted that way for probably about three years. My dad own's a shop in Englewood, CO. he paints strictly motorcycles, custom and stock, I'm sure there is probably something trick that his painting at the shop now or he has a very big photo album. You could give him a call he should be able to give you a quote. The shops called Painted Stuff, and his name is Tom. 303.783.9787

Ride Safe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mysticripped2.jpg (74.8 KB, 146 views)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 07:25 AM

Why not buy an accident damaged bike and get your custom paint job on it. If you can pick up a cheap bike with cosmetic damage only. you can afford to spend a bit getting it painted.
And when it comes to selling it you sell it cheap cause you bought it cheap.
If you get a mint bike painted it will possibally loose value when you sell. The repaired bike you might break even, just be honest when you sell it and tell the prospective buyer that the cheap price is because you got it cheap and sorted it up.
One of my mates does it every year . He buys a damaged bike for a winter project runs it for the summer and sells it. Then gets another one for a project. He doesnt make any money on them but he doesnt lose very much either. You just have to be carefull that there is no hidden structural damage on the bike
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 08:08 AM
elo

Arrow

Most custom paint jobs (imho) look like awful harley-wannabe replicas. There's a lot to be said for an older bike that has been kept in it's original condition. Motorcycles have extremely dynamic lines, and paint should maximize their inherent beauty, not cover them up.

Most people do look at a custom paint job as some sort of coverup, unless you do it on aftermarket bodywork. Assuming you get a good painter, the work should hold up as well as the OEM plastic and stickers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 03:17 PM

Arrow New Option

For painting and fixing bikes you guys should check out my company, http://www.EmpireGP.com.

We specialize in plastic welding and custom painting for sportbikes. 80% of the work we do is painting a bike to look 100% stock. Most of our customers have wrecked their bike or damaged their plastic but don't want to buy new expensive plastic or crappy replacement parts. We are cheap in comparison to new parts and the end cost to buying used/replacement pieces.

You won't believe the things we can fix.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 05:09 AM

i had my bike painted, and though it looks awesome from far, its far from awesome. the paint doesnt look like its gonna hold up for the next few years to come. it doesnt get better than factory paint in my opinion

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 06:33 AM

Thumbs up .

Thats because there is a lot involved in painting a bike. Most people do not know how to paint bikes. When we are done with a bike it looks brand new. As far as time we have been tested there too and they still look good. I've seen a lot of bad paint jobs from guys that paint cars and so on. You can't treat plastic like a car.
We've been doing a lot of new bikes lately, we have a couple 01 R1s and R6es in the shop right now, and you can't tell the difference between new and ours painted. The only big difference is we paint most decals. You would be supprised how much of your bike is a piece of paper. We paint these on (except letter stickers ie. Suzuki, Honda, GSX-R, CBR.....) It looks a lot better because you can only make a piece of paper shine so much. We usualy only put stickers on bikes that we are only doing half of. That way it's an exact match to the other side.
Check out our examples on our page, we have a bunch up there right now. check out the 01 ZX9, thats 100% paint including all of the color fades.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZzZzZ KiD ZzZzZ
i had my bike painted, and though it looks awesome from far, its far from awesome. the paint doesnt look like its gonna hold up for the next few years to come. it doesnt get better than factory paint in my opinion
Nice undercoat ZzZzZ, what colour will it be when it's finished ? j/k
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 08:54 AM

ZZZZ Kid...I love the paint job !! Simple, different.

I saw someone who painted their R6 Yellow on one of the sites I surf....I really liked that as well. Stay away from the glitter-green weird colors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode