how many times do we see/hear this? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy how many times do we see/hear this?

Late last night on my way home from work I drove up on a very nasty accident involving a Ford Explorer and what was left of a Honda CBR929. The police were still arriving to the scene and the fire department was on its way. When I pulled over and asked one of the cops if everyone was ok he said the guy on the bike was lucky to be breathing. It was a case where both drivers were trying to beat a yellow light and met in the middle... the bike turning left and the Ford going straight through from the opposite direction. The cop estimated impact to be at about 40 miles per hour. He also predicted that the rider of the bike was going to be in traction for a few months.

People... use common sense when approaching any situation. If the light's yellow, you may want to consider stopping before someone else stops you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 02:39 AM

Too True

Good Point Hot Rocket.

Whether riding or in the cage (integra) I always have to question my motive on the road. Granted I want to go fast and enjoy the ride/drive, but in the end, aren't we just trying to enjoy life??

On the way to work in the mornings you see the most aggressive things, people cutting people off, running lights, abusive language and hand gestures, and for what???

To get to work three minutes sooner?? Work, not play, WORK.

Thanks for the reminder HR,

What company has the slogan "Enjoy the Ride??" Nissan?? Couldn't have said it any better.

P
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 02:47 AM

Being hit by a car at 40mph whilst riding a bike does'nt bear thinking about !!!!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 02:51 AM

Not even 3 minutes Paul, but seconds. How many times have you watched someone cut in & out of traffic for miles, only to arrive maybe 2 or 3 cars ahead of you? They pissed off all those people and risked an accident just to get somewhere three seconds sooner.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAught
Not even 3 minutes Paul, but seconds. How many times have you watched someone cut in & out of traffic for miles, only to arrive maybe 2 or 3 cars ahead of you? They pissed off all those people and risked an accident just to get somewhere three seconds sooner.
I couldn't agree more, but I ocassionally find myself doing the same thing. Very good point, thanx!

Also a great point about ariving to WORK three minutes earlier, who the hell cares about a lousy three minutes?!! If you are going to get fired over this, might want to reconsider your career! Cool thread!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 05:35 AM

Re: Too True

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul 750
Good Point Hot Rocket.

On the way to work in the mornings you see the most aggressive things, people cutting people off, running lights, abusive language and hand gestures, and for what???

P
Where you following me this morning......???
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 05:49 AM

Re: Re: Too True

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam McFarland

Where you following me this morning......???
Yup, That was me four car lengths behind you. Got to work relaxed and ready to work, fifteen seconds after you.

P
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 11:11 AM

I don't know about you guys & gals but I love racing people to work. It's so envigorating! Especially when I win.

Don't get me wrong, I love to drive/ride fast. However, not at the expense of someone else getting hurt. Nor do I tailgate or cut people off while doing it. In my experience, tailgating gets people mad and all they do is slow down more. What I do is I stay back a good car length, then when the space presents itself, I pass. I don't think there's harm in that. I really don't like driver confrontations.

Of course, the reason for commuting on a bike is so I don't have to get stuck behind slower drivers. It's almost as if they don't exist around me. I just "fly by", away from them. Except at stop lights. Then everyone's equal.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by "bladerunner"
Being hit by a car at 40mph whilst riding a bike does'nt bear thinking about !!!!!
oh yeah, let me tell you.

If only I could remember it.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAught
LMAO! I see that all the time. Most of the time around here, I end up next to them at the stop lights and I thorw up the BIG L and just stare at them like I'm Crazy.

True Story, This Girl in a freakin Geo Metro Tried to Pass me in the Right Lane going UP a Bridge and she was ridng me butt!!! Not only did she try this 1, not 2 times, but 5 times! This particular bridge has 2 spans so we go up and down twice. Not to mention this was all taking place at 60 MPH in a 40 Zone. Have any of your ever driven a GEO METRO?!?! I have, ONE TIME AND ONE TIME ONLY! It's got 3 Gears and might have a top Speed of 75, and that's not UP HILL! Oh! ANDDDDDD I've got my Girl on the back, imagine my sympathy for this Stupid Trailor Whore's hurry to get back to her next call!

Here's the best part! After the Bridge, there's what we call "The Cross Town", basically a Highway with 3 Lanes on both sides, 1 Mile long, and like 5 or 6 stop lights. So at Every Stop Light I made sure I was next to her in one lane or another so she could see me when I went "L". I even had my Girlfriend doing it a few times! Oh this Girl was realyl pissed of by the 4th light hehe

Aaaaah I feel so much better now, Bed Time

Last edited by minfinger; 11-04-2001 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode