help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

help

1st of all who's Paul??
Anyways I stripped off my body work today to polish my frame and i did like this web site said and sprayed easy off on the frame to get the anodizing off.........it aint happening. The site said you cant start polishing till the frame is black. Only way I could get to the black part was to skim it with a razor. Anyway to bypass the easy off part, it was only supposed to take 2 coats(im on the 4th)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 06:05 PM

I've never tried to unanodize anything but painted or powdercoated pieces, I've used a red scotch brite and some aircraft stripper to remove it. Aircraft stripper is a more potient version of easy off. Hope this may help?

Ride Safe!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 01:53 AM

I'd go with the aircraft stripper and either a harsher SOS pad, or some really fine steel wool. Wear some rubber gloves too.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 03:40 AM

Anodizing actually etches the metal surface. You will need to strip off the out layer of metal about 0.0001 thick. You can do this chemically with some type of agressive acid, oven cleaner may well work. What you most likely have removed thus far is clear coat paint.

Rick
NCVFR
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 05:48 AM

Thumbs up

What NCVFR said.

Anodizing is "in" the metal, not "on" it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 10:21 AM
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Re: help

Quote:
Originally posted by shannon muse
1st of all who's Paul??
Anyways I stripped off my body work today to polish my frame and i did like this web site said and sprayed easy off on the frame to get the anodizing off.........it aint happening. The site said you cant start polishing till the frame is black. Only way I could get to the black part was to skim it with a razor. Anyway to bypass the easy off part, it was only supposed to take 2 coats(im on the 4th)

This reply has nothing to do with your question but....where is Southhaven, MS? I'm in Jackson, MS. I've been here 2 years but I still don't know Mississippi that well. You ride with the SSA any? I think I know you, tell me if I'm wrong. Are you the guy with the ZX-9 that rides with Shane who trashed the TL1000R? Just wondering. later- Brad

One more thing, I know who Paul is. I rode with him a few times in Georgia and North Carolina.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton

Last edited by HUS; 11-01-2001 at 10:26 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: help

Quote:
Originally posted by HUS

This reply has nothing to do with your question but....where is Southhaven, MS? I'm in Jackson, MS. I've been here 2 years but I still don't know Mississippi that well. You ride with the SSA any? I think I know you, tell me if I'm wrong. Are you the guy with the ZX-9 that rides with Shane who trashed the TL1000R? Just wondering. later- Brad

One more thing, I know who Paul is. I rode with him a few times in Georgia and North Carolina.
Southaven is about 170 north of you on 55. 5min from memphis.
Never heard of SSA, and I just got my 9 in jun. I just moved back here from crestview fl. I'll be done by this weekend if you want to ride, I can't believe this weather.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CH3NO2
I've never tried to unanodize anything but painted or powdercoated pieces, I've used a red scotch brite and some aircraft stripper to remove it. Aircraft stripper is a more potient version of easy off. Hope this may help?

Ride Safe!
That aircraft stripper shit is evil.It took it off in less than a minute. I'll be done by the weekend. Wish I would have listened about the gloves my hands are on FIRE
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I can see why people charge 1500-2000 for this. I've spent about 16 hrs so far. Got a couple more left. This is my first time though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode