CHICKEN STRIPES almost gone! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up CHICKEN STRIPES almost gone!

I've become bored with the straight-line high speed runs 140-170and hadfun at Sunshine Speedway1/8th drag several times but decided its time to concentrate on something else....those unsightly chicken stripes I allowed to form on the 207's.I bought Twist of the Wrist 2 a month ago and implementing some of it has helped.but Ive been going to PattersonRd (close to 30 turns-out and back course in a rural area w/good pavement . the guys i rode with belong to a local stunt team.We go mostly at night and this last time I actually stayed with them .I had her leaned WAY over withthe gas on ,what a blast!One more 1/4 inch to go (on the edge of rear tire) and those embarrasing stripes will be gone.BTW I don't claim to be good at anything.. and no I have'nt arrived. Its just a personal milestone. riding only 6.5 months=6782miles ps I appreciate the wealth of info contained and opinions expressed atSBW even if I dissagree(Iwont mention any names bikenut he he)I really have made a few friends and thats the greatest part about SBW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 11:15 AM

Re: CHICKEN STRIPES almost gone!

Quote:
Originally posted by blackkaw
I've become bored with the straight-line high speed runs 140-170and hadfun at Sunshine Speedway1/8th drag several times but decided its time to concentrate on something else....those unsightly chicken stripes I allowed to form on the 207's.I bought Twist of the Wrist 2 a month ago and implementing some of it has helped.but Ive been going to PattersonRd (close to 30 turns-out and back course in a rural area w/good pavement . the guys i rode with belong to a local stunt team.We go mostly at night and this last time I actually stayed with them .I had her leaned WAY over withthe gas on ,what a blast!One more 1/4 inch to go (on the edge of rear tire) and those embarrasing stripes will be gone.BTW I don't claim to be good at anything.. and no I have'nt arrived. Its just a personal milestone. riding only 6.5 months=6782miles ps I appreciate the wealth of info contained and opinions expressed atSBW even if I dissagree(Iwont mention any names bikenut he he)I really have made a few friends and thats the greatest part about SBW
You guys do this a night I'm in the same situation, trust the bike, it'll do what ya want to. I don't drag knees, and I don't have any chicken/sissy strips, but then some bikes handle differently, so depending on the bike, the strips, are meaningless Just keep practicing, and the fast riders here will, help ya out. I've learned a ton of stuff from them, and will take this oppertunity, to thanks all ya

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I prefer to go in daytime but dont push as hard when riding alone and wont go alone at nite. there are no street lites at all its rural.yesterday I went out there and saw firetruck stopped with lites flashing. Pickup truck was upside down in the field. theres always less traffic at nite.racoons and possums can be a problem

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackkaw
I prefer to go in daytime but dont push as hard when riding alone and wont go alone at nite. there are no street lites at all its rural.yesterday I went out there and saw firetruck stopped with lites flashing. Pickup truck was upside down in the field. theres always less traffic at nite.racoons and possums can be a problem
Yeah, I'd make it a point to ride in the daytime. What really helped me was to watch the fast guy's, and use their lines, and if they are willing, they may just ride slower in front, and behind ya, to give some helpful tips. The best thing I would recomend, and if nothing else, RELAX, when your tense, it translates to the whole bike, and upsets the natural handeling of it. I have this problem, in downhill right handers, once I relax, and let the bike do the work, I'm much faster, and as important, smooth too, as in rolling the throttle on smoothly, braking, and shifting gears, and your weight. Sorry I can't offer up more info. to ya. Where the heck is Bikenut, Mongrol, AZ, and all the others? These are the guy's that can really help ya.

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 01:29 PM
Dad

Congratulations! Sounds like you're getting into what these bikes are really good for! Just take it steady and practice that technique. Remember, at no time should you be scaring yourself and if you find that happening... slow down. With a lot of practice, all of those techniques will become second nature and the speed will have taken care of itself. Then get yourself up north to some of the mountain roads. You'll have some major fun!

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 07:06 PM

"Embarrasing chicken strips" ?

Who cares?

If youre worried about the appearance of your tires and youre worried about what people think, then you are riding for the wrong reasons.

Just RIDE.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 08:22 PM

Amen to that Griff!

Blakkaw, I admit, that is the first thing I look at when I check a bike out, but it doesn't really mean anything. 85% of the people around here have chicken strips. Give it time, it will happen automatically after some practice and time riding. Just don't push it all at once. It will happen eventually.
I don't know how you can go and try to lean over that far and go that fast in the dark. Scares the $hit out of me when I can't see ahead of me!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 12:12 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
"Embarrasing chicken strips" ?

Who cares?

If youre worried about the appearance of your tires and youre worried about what people think, then you are riding for the wrong reasons.

Just RIDE.
Having a hard time getting rid of those strips, are you Griff? Just kidding!!! I totally agree with your statement.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 12:36 AM

Also be aware that there is a difference between learning from the fast guys and getting in over your head. Don't try to keep up if you're getting too far beyond your limits. Keep the rubber side down!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

Having a hard time getting rid of those strips, are you Griff? Just kidding!!! I totally agree with your statement.
Yeah Pete,
After this weekend, I can see why you would agree..

I used to have problems with "cold tires" also...hehehe

Last edited by Cam McFarland; 10-29-2001 at 02:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode