Ok, need help convincing the parents - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Ok, need help convincing the parents

I need a list of things on why i need a motorcycle so i can help convince my parents...Statistics on safe drivers would help, brighter bikes etc...

I have this so far...

Cheaper than a car
Insurance is cheaper
Much much better on gas mileage
Safer if the driver acts safe and pays attention.

Can you guys help me think of anymore??? Thanx!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:40 PM

Re: Ok, need help convincing the parents

Quote:
Originally posted by SiiLT
I need a list of things on why i need a motorcycle so i can help convince my parents...Statistics on safe drivers would help, brighter bikes etc...

I have this so far...

Cheaper than a car
Insurance is cheaper
Much much better on gas mileage

Can you guys help me think of anymore??? Thanx!!!!
well let me alay a few myths for you...

Not cheaper than a car...maintenance and parts are more expensive than cars...you can plan to go through a set of $200 tires in about 7000 miles....

Insurance:
Um if your still living with your parents, I'm guessing your around 18...full coverage on a relatively new bike is gonna run you about $2400 per year...liability...around 8 or 900 (just guessing on that one)

Definately not safer than a car...sorry..its pretty much proof that a new rider on a sportbike is actually much more dangerous than the same aged person in a car

Your not going to be able to justify it...either they are going to trust you enough to just let you, or you're gonna have to wait till you can do it on your own...

Course your going to get the other opinions, but I lived this one with my parents, so I thought I'd share
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:48 PM

Unfortunately I agree with RN.
I was living on my own and bought one. Then when they came to visit............SUPRISE!

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to phalanx
The goal shouldn't be to justify the bike, it should be to prove you are respondsible enough to have one. If you are known to do stupid things, I wouldn't count on them agreeing with your decision to get one.

I was fortunate enough to have 2 parents that used to ride so I started on dirtbikes when I was young. By the time I was 16, I was already capable on 2 wheels so my parents didn't have to worry about me learning to ride while dogging cages. My father was an easy sell to get a bike. He knew if I got one, that would be his excuse to start riding again. That is also the reason I ended up with a much larger starter bike than I had originally wanted. It scared the shit out of me at first, but now I'm glad I have it.

I honestly thought my mother would be opposed to it because she has worked in hospitals for years and gets to see first hand what happens in motorcycle accidents. She let me get it though, without any kind of fight because she trusts that I won't do anything stupid on it and I haven't let her down yet. (It also helps that I don't tell her about some of the things I do when I ride).

Your parents most likely know that the bike is inherently more dangerous than a car, so figure out how to sell yourself to your parents!

I prefer to step lightly and carry a BIG stick...
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:10 PM

Well, Will is telling the truth, but not all is lost. Here is what you need to try. Draw up a contract with your parents. In this contract you need to let them know what you expect from them and what they should expect from you.

1. You must take an MSF course
2. You must wear all protective gear at all times (Full face helmet, Full fingered gloves, Motorcycle jacket, Long pants, Over the ankle boots)
3. You must purchase a bike that is a good beginner bike.
4. You must not get any tickets.
5. You must have your parents help you choose the bike.
6 You must maintain the bike in very good working order.
7. No passengers.

What you should expect from your parents.

1. No doom and gloom talk
2. No over reactions if you drop the bike or have a minor accident.
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to phalanx
Re: Ok, need help convincing the parents

Quote:
Originally posted by SiiLT
Statistics on safe drivers would help, brighter bikes etc...

And before you start convincing your parents otherwise, a bright bike is not safer than a car. Regardless of how bright the bike is, its still much smaller and harder to see than a car. It can still sit in blind spots and being bright doesn't mean anything if you are looking at it head on.

And a bike is by no means safer than a car if the driver acts safe and pays attention. Most of the time, the problem is not with the rider, but the person in the cage. You can be the safest driver on Earth, but that won't stop the dumb asshole from running into you. When you drop a bike, you go down hard. There is no airbags, seatbelts, or crumple zones. Its just your body in motion, and a ton of stationary objects just waiting to slow you down. I guess you could say that I would rather be in a fender-bender with a car then a close call with a bike...

Just some food for thought.

I prefer to step lightly and carry a BIG stick...
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 11:59 PM

Re: Re: Ok, need help convincing the parents

Quote:
Originally posted by RedNinja

well let me alay a few myths for you...

Not cheaper than a car...maintenance and parts are more expensive than cars...you can plan to go through a set of $200 tires in about 7000 miles....

how do you get so many miles out of a set of tyres??
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 12:37 AM

My parents (I'm 26, so I don't have to justify anything) don't know, and will only know the day I show up with the bike. It might just give them a heart attack, so I'll wait. To help you: That contract sounds great.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 12:42 AM

I'm afraid I agree that the "motorcycles are smart and safe" argument is doomed. They're not. I think you have to take the "I'm smart enough to handle this responsibly" tact. Maybe you can do a lot of research (this site is a good place to start) and come up with a good first bike, the costs of: that bike, good gear, insurance, and a riding course. If you hit them with a lot of facts and figures, maybe they will relent. (Of course this would never have worked with my Mother, but it's worth a shot!) Good luck.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 01:27 AM

The above all sound like good points, but let us know how you make out becaue I still haven't told mine! Just hasn't been a good day for that yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode