What is "cupping"? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Question What is "cupping"?

ok,
1) what happens to the tire to produce cupping?

2) what does the operator do to provoke this condition?

3) what does this translate into as far as changes in how the bike handles and performs?

4)how do you remedy the situation?

this might be another good one for the bike-terms page Vypir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 08:36 AM
Founder

You may not be able to entirely avoid cupping. Tire cupping or irregular wear is a somewhat common occurence on all vehicles. On a four-wheel vehicle, you are advised to rotate your tires periodically to even out wear. Unfortunately, you do not have this luxury with a motorcycle because front and rear tires, unlike those on a four-wheel vehicle, are not interchangeable.

However, there are steps that can be taken to minimize cupping and uneven wear on a motorcycle:

1. Maintain your motorcycle and particularly your front forks and suspension.
2. Maintain your tire pressures. Underinflation or overinflation in motorcycle tires are significant causes of cupping and uneven wear, particularly in association with hard braking.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 08:42 AM

givin those maintenance steps is it going to happen anyway over time?

IE my front tire was cupping though I've kept them properly inflated and the front suspension set up correctly since I got the bike?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 12:42 PM

Hard suspension = High chance of cupping. I don't know much about bikes, but this is true for cars, and tire pressure is a factor as well. Hope this helps, JF
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:49 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by RedNinja
givin those maintenance steps is it going to happen anyway over time?
Yes.

Robert Basil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 01:24 AM

And cupping is.......?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fotobw
And cupping is.......?
Cupping is what Ice Fishermen do in the winter, when they put their hands in their pants to keep 'em warm...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 04:04 AM

Quote: "what is cupping"

Look at your tires - you might see small semi-circular patterns like ( ( ( ( ( Staggered about.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 05:23 AM

It's my understanding that cupping is when you have a lip build up at the trailing edge of a tread block. This is usually accompanied by higher wear on the leading edge of the tread block. If you have cupping you'll see these little lips near the tread patterns on the areas of the tire that see the most cornering force.

It basically indicates that there is excess pressure on the face of the tread block. I believe it's due to a too-hard suspension or high psi in the tires. This causes the tire itself to take more of the cornering forces instead of allowing the suspension to absorb them.

Most sportbikes will cause some degree of cupping. It's keeping the cupping to a minimum and not allowing really large lips to form (causing unstable handling) that you want to accomplish.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 07:55 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_VTR
It's my understanding that cupping is when you have a lip build up at the trailing edge of a tread block. This is usually accompanied by higher wear on the leading edge of the tread block. If you have cupping you'll see these little lips near the tread patterns on the areas of the tire that see the most cornering force.

It basically indicates that there is excess pressure on the face of the tread block. I believe it's due to a too-hard suspension or high psi in the tires. This causes the tire itself to take more of the cornering forces instead of allowing the suspension to absorb them.

Most sportbikes will cause some degree of cupping. It's keeping the cupping to a minimum and not allowing really large lips to form (causing unstable handling) that you want to accomplish.
Great post Chris!

Robert Basil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode