Observation - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
elo

Unhappy Observation

Has anyone ever noticed that a lot of new riders come here (and I congratulate them for that!) and say something to the effect of: "I jsut finished reading all the first sportbike threads, but I still think I need a ('busa, ZX12, R1, take your pick), because I (insert dumb reason here). Any suggestions?"

First of all, why ask a question you don't want to hear the answer to?

Second of all, why is it that these people all think that they are different, (like everyone else), that the years and years of experience present in this forum somehow don't apply to them?

Not that I'm some paragon of truth, morality, or genius, but when I decided I wanted to ride, I researched every bike out there, and asked advice from people I knew and respected. Not once did I ever assume that I would be different from everyone else and somehow master my first bike within a matter of days.

I lust after an R6 or better yet a silver 02 R1, I'm not going to run out and buy one because I know that they aren't the only bikes out there, and I know that they wouldn't be the best bike for my experience and riding style.

Can anyone help me understand this phenomenon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:59 AM

Mr. Charles Darwin could help you with that one!!
(meaning) Newbie gets a litre bike, and learns the hard way. Either way, the lesson is learned. You think I don't wanna rip a 10.65 quarter mile?! The 900 is 432 lbs compared to 431 for the f3, but there's the advice of EVERYONE out there saying,"600 my son, 600....."

Last edited by thothscribe; 10-25-2001 at 03:02 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:00 AM

check the dictionary...under the term Squid

Actually in truth I think its because of peer pressure. All their friends (the reason they are getting into riding) have R1's, GXR1000's, etc.... and they feel that they need to have one of those too to be cool or fit in....

Frankly I think its pretty dumb....At the most I always say that a 600 is more than plenty for a first time rider. I honestly also feel that countries like the UK and Australia, have the right idea with a graduated license program. I'm sure it saves lives, and hopefully helps keep more experienced riders insurance premiums down (I'm just guessing on that one)....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:05 AM

Re: Observation

Quote:
Originally posted by elodello

Second of all, why is it that these people all think that they are different, (like everyone else), that the years and years of experience present in this forum somehow don't apply to them?

Can anyone help me understand this phenomenon?
It's all about being young AND Male, Erica.

In general, most young Males always feel confident and invincible. Confident that they can overcome any obstacle that may get in their way of having fun. In this case: riding. Why do you think they make such great draft-quality soldiers for war?

Most young girls will go into an unknown situation a bit more S-L-O-W-L-Y with lots of caution. Most young guys will jump in the same situation with both feet.

Now do you understand? It's all about being young, male, and confident.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
elo

Wink Re: Re: Observation

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker
Now do you understand? It's all about being young, male, and confident.
I guess I never will!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RedNinja
Frankly I think its pretty dumb....At the most I always say that a 600 is more than plenty for a first time rider.

Hell, I'm stiil on a 600 6+ years later. I ride with people with bikes way faster than mine, but I'm the one waiting at the stopsign at the end of a long set of twisties in most cases.
The way I see it is that a brand new bike will only hide you're shortcommings as a rider, untill the last second, but at point you are in way over your head and going way faster than you should.

I ride a piece of shit, it doesnt hide my goofs too well, I feel it in the frame and on the skinny tires.
Hell, if I didn't start on a VF500F I think the first time my rear tire slid a little bit while at full lean I would have shit a brick and lowsided. But because the VF has a more upright seating position, and very skinny tires, the ass would slide at much lower speeds than my FZR, So I learned how to deal with it at slower speeds/less lean first.
Please let me know if this makes sense to anyone else but me..I'm still a little fuzzy from last night.

Rock on
Ride on
Adrian
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:57 AM

when i was looking to by my bike back in Jan. of 2001 i wanted this 2000 R1 with 2000 miles for sale that i could see from my bedroom. That week i saw my first 500 GP race on the tube and couldn't believe the way those guys manhandled those bikes... I started talking to every experenced sportbike rider i could find. I became very clear to me that unless i wanted to be on a first name basis with the ER doc a 600 was the way for me to go. After the factoring in the bang for the buck ratio, it was a done deal. I haven't regreted a moment of it. I won't lie i still like the big bore bikes, but Hugh Hef. said a man's reach should exceed his grasp.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 04:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
little bikes rock!!! end of story. i did a track school in june or july with teampromotion.

i love jamming around the outside of zx9's and r1's. and these aren't new riders. a lot of them were new track riders, but they are on the wrong bike to learn on.

i started street riding on a 750 standard. i can tell you, it's the wrong way.

i learned more riding my 400 than ANY bike i've owned (except for my 80cc dirtbike i had when i was 8). this includes the two 750's.

but like mentioned above, young men, big egos. me included.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 04:20 AM
jlh

Fizzman I agree with you, I had alot of people that I use to ride with when I still had my FZR600 that would tell me my bike was old and slow. Well I always thought that when we went riding they couldn't keep up. I tried to explain that expierience will beat HP any day.

Joshua
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
elo

Welcome to SBW Joshua!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode