Whats the closest you've come to crashing without actually going down? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Whats the closest you've come to crashing without actually going down?

ok,
so gettin it down a backraod late for a rendevous a couple of hours away...raining bad, but i have no choice, gotta get there...
running about 80...slight curve to the left...running the older D304(i think) bad rain tire....
slid out and sliding sideways at 80 mph...for a loooong time..id guess 20-30 yards.yanked the bike around..got mad speed wobbles..grabbed the throttle and punched it...by the time i was under control i was inches away from the other side of the road..thank god nothing else was coming..and a few more inches and id be in the ditch...
didnt even stop to clean my pants..no time...did slow down a bit though...

whew...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 01:49 AM

Big tankslapper cresting a hill near Emory university at approximately 80mph. Very scary...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
near Emory university
do you live in Atlanta???

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:29 AM

This one time I was at a bar having a few drinks. I go to the bathroom, come back out, and see this gorgeous girl sitting a few feet away. I decide to approach her; just before I get ready to slide over, my buddy says: "dude, your fly's open." Thank god. This is the closest I've come to crashing and going down in flames. The moral? Never fly without your wingman.

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:56 AM

Ortega Highway.

Riding my ZX11 down one of the 25 mph carousels on the Lake Elsinore side. Opposing traffic to my left. Guardrail to my right. It was downhill. I had the bike leaned way over at around hmmmmm.....55 - 60 mph I think. The bike started drifting wide so I leaned the bike further. The left footpeg touched down hard, which surprised me. I reacted by standing the bike up. But I wasn't finished going around the carousel, so I started heading for the guardrail. I panicked. I slammed on the front brakes. The ZX11 dove down on its weak forks, the rear end wiggled widely. I recovered mentally and managed to bring myself together to release the brakes, lean the bike back down and look where I wanted to go(instead of stairing at the freakin' guardrail).

Object lesson for me that day was: don't ride beyond what the bike and I are capable of handling.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by devils playmate

do you live in Atlanta???
I did up until this year. Now I live in the Athens area. I still work in Atlanta though.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 04:13 AM

Track or Street?

Do you mean on the track or street?

I've come VERY close to crashing on the YSR and managed to save it while racing. (Crashed plenty too) The Dunlops on that bike would let go without any warning, so I was constantly lowsiding while getting on the power (such as it was) coming out of turns. Once, I had the rear slide out about two feet at full lean. I managed to bring it out of the lean slightly and it hooked up so viciously that I nearly had the bars ripped out of my hands (almost highsided). Luckily, all this happened at about 30mph on a wide-open track, so it probably would have been okay even if I HAD crashed.

On my VTR street bike, had very nearly the same thing happen. Going around a curve on a two lane country road WAY too fast only to find out that not only is the curve off camber, but it's covered with that slick surface you get when the pavement is worn down a lot. The rear end came loose, both feet came off the pegs, I was halfway out of the saddle, and the bike miraculously righted itself as though nothing had happened. I think it just decided it didn't want to go down despite the hamfisted jackass at the controls.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I did up until this year. Now I live in the Athens area. I still work in Atlanta though.
very cool, i grew up in Augusta and lived in Atl for awhile...

Quote:
Do you mean on the track or street?
either..im just looking for stories..this is the first thread ive started myself...

HERE's ANOTHER....
had an '89 Ninja 600R...we had a great road with a nice "S" curve then a straight that t-boned into a strawberry field (s forever)...

so i came out of the S curve gettin on it hard, didnt realize how fast i was going coming up to the end of the road...locked up the rear tire, slid right off the road, jumped the ditch, landed 90 degrees, fully upright...had to spin my way out of the ditch..haha
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 04:47 AM

coming down the old cabbage hill highway (you all know where that is right?) and tipped my XX into a 25mph righty in second gear. Started rolling on the gas early and when I hit the apex and really started to drive out the ass end slid out about two feet leaving a nice fat darky (according to the guy behind me on his Mille), before it hooked up and tried to highside me to Tokyo. When it pitched me out of the saddle up onto the tank and the windshield the throttle slammed closed and the back started chirping and hopping around as it swung from side to side. Then the front tucked and I thought for sure I wasn't going to save it. Picture it, laying on the tank with your chest over the windshield staring back at the headlight in a tankslapper while the ass end is swinging back and forth. It settled itself out though. I kept going a little further and then stopped to collect my thoughts. The guy on the mille rides up with a huge grin on his face and says, "great save man!" I wanted to hit him. I got a pretty good bruise on my shoulder where it hit the windshield and my goolies smacked the tank pretty good. Other than that, all was well.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 05:31 AM

Arrow

I was kickin ass on the backside of Little Tujunga Rd (coming down the side I usually go up) and I roll on the throttle out of a 45-50MPH left hander. Looking ahead, I see a BIG pile of small rocks/gravel right in the middle of the lane. I stand it up nice and easy, and maneuver thru it, but I forgot to look ahead to the next corner. It's a 35 MPH (at a good lean) right. So I squeeze the hell out of the front brake, downshift twice (from 3rd to 1st) and use all the rear brake I have. Needless to say, I locked up the rear wheel. It slid out about 40 degrees and felt like it was going to keep sliding but luckily I got off the brakes enough to right it.

I then proceeded to use the local foliage to cleanse the inside of my Fruit of the Looms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode