Lesson learned........ - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Lesson learned........

Okay, so a couple weeks ago I responded to a thread concerning how the road you always ride is never the same. Well, I was pretty pointed and I totally agreed with the thread writer and posted as such. Sunday however I learned a valuable lesson. Always practice what you preach! My group and I had been on our Sunday ride for maybe 15 minutes and were on a downhill to the Kentucky River which we had traversed hundreds of times. Came around the third right-hander and the pavement went from dry to wet in oh, let's say, way too fast......I was second in the group and the first rider had went through the curve "stuck" behind a Sunday driver. There wasn't a thing I could do....I was laid over just like before, both tires gave, and I and my TL, God rest its soul, slid 60 feet into a cliff wall. The Sherriffs Office estimated my speed at 25-35 mph and the last I remember I was at 45 mph at the top of the hill.....who knows, but the bike is totaled, I'm looking for a new one and I learned my lesson......hope you will, but by reading this thread...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 11:38 PM

Sorry to hear about you accident man!

I would do well to remember this - nearly hit a couple of lambs or goats or something today. Didn't even realise it at the time - they were on the side of the road on the inside of a corner they must have been hidden from view from the way I was coming. I saw them on the way back and it gave me a fright! - were they there 15 mins ago when I when I was going the other way???
Thank goodness they didn't move!

I don't know about everyone else, but I have days where I am more willing to take a much higher degree of risk when I ride. Case in point today: I'd just filled up the VFR which I haven't riden for a while and I was thinking: beautiful day, full tank of gas, bike needs riding. It would be criminal not to .

So I took her through my fav set of twisties. Pretty fast. Sort of a goodbye ride because I'm getting rid of her ASAP. Anyway, my point was that I rode it a lot harder today and was willing to accept a much higher level or risk than usual. Anyone else get that?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 12:31 AM

Hard luck endles, hope you weren't hurt also.

In response to B/b,s reply, there are days when I feel invincible and can do no wrong. Then there's odd days when I feel like I'm riding like shit and I get so annoyed with myself that I just give up and go home. Maybe it's self-preservation kicking in.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

No......the Big Man upstairs hooked me up and all I did was get a good 60 foot slide out of it on my right side.......if anyone has any interest in the Joe Rocket Ballistic mesh riding jackets that came out in the summer....trust me they are worth their weight in gold!!!! I was impressed and thankful! Got a little bummer on my knee that was down as it was the first thing to make contact......lil'neosporin and a band-aid and all was good!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 04:24 AM

That really sucks.

I'm sorry about your loss but glad you came out okay.

I guess we all take chances don't we? Unless we do a "scouting run" down our favorite road FIRST, we'll just never know what's lurking around the corner.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Unless we do a "scouting run" down our favorite road FIRST, we'll just never know what's lurking around the corner
That's good advice Rogue. I always make a slow run at the beginning of a ride on my favorite roads to check out road conditions and to look out for law enforcement. Once you've seen what's up, then you can let it rip a little with knowledge of what's there.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by endleswavz
if anyone has any interest in the Joe Rocket Ballistic mesh riding jackets that came out in the summer....trust me they are worth their weight in gold!!!!
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Thankfully, you are okay. About two months ago I was over in North Carolina with some mates of mine. We stopped to gas up and talked to a couple other riders for a little while. One was wearing the new Ballistic jacket that you mentioned above. We were all thinking about the new style of protective gear and were wondering if the Ballistic would stand up to a crash. One of the guys we met at the gas stop said: "I guess we'll have to wait until it's road tested." Thanks for your info about this jacket, I'll be sure to spread the word. Again, glad to hear you are okay!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 02:33 PM

Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket

Ya know, those jackets do have one problem....

A guy out here crashed in one of those, granted, it was a high speed crash, with lots of sliding, but, the armor melted into his skin. They do recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt underneath of it, and after that, I agree. Course, that sorta defeats the point. Just offering up the counterpoint to your story.

Why am I ALWAYS playing Devil's Advocate, I gotta get outta this habit.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Just a note to the counterpoint......if you look on the purpose tag on the inside of the jacket it reads........"Touring".......a bananna peel is ment to protect the meat of the bananna from the elements, you can't expect it to get run over by a truck and hold up...........
See your point though, choose the protective clothing that best fits your riding needs.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 02:03 AM

Re: Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
Ya know, those jackets do have one problem....

A guy out here crashed in one of those, granted, it was a high speed crash, with lots of sliding, but, the armor melted into his skin. They do recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt underneath of it, and after that, I agree. Course, that sorta defeats the point. Just offering up the counterpoint to your story.

Why am I ALWAYS playing Devil's Advocate, I gotta get outta this habit.
You may be playing devil's advocate, but that is good information to know!! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode