synthetic oil for winter storage? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

synthetic oil for winter storage?

I'm going to be putting my bike away soon and was wondering, would it help to put synthetic oil in for the winter. I'm going to change it right before I put it away and also first thing in the spring. Would it be OK just to have fresh cheap oil in it for the winter and then change it for good oil in the spring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 04:17 PM

Use the cheap stuff, and thicker single weight. The synthetics are good for resisting wear and breakdown of the long carbon chains that give oil it's protective and lubrication qualities. Sitting over winter has none of the characteristics for which synths might be an advantage. A thick single weight will cling better than a multi-weight and thus stay on the metal you wish to protect instead of running off and sitting in the sump where it does no good. In the spring, pour a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder (through the spark plug holes), turn the engine over a few times without starting then come back in an hour and start your bike. Let it warm at idle for ten minutes, take a short ride to really warm the oil, then change the oil to your standard choice.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 02:45 AM

Thumbs up

I agree, use the cheap stuff and change it again in the spring.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 04:16 AM
Squidwannabe

Re: synthetic oil for winter storage?

Quote:
Originally posted by resonantfreq
I'm going to be putting my bike away soon and was wondering, would it help to put synthetic oil in for the winter. I'm going to change it right before I put it away and also first thing in the spring. Would it be OK just to have fresh cheap oil in it for the winter and then change it for good oil in the spring?

Use cheap OIL for storage!

The reason you change your oil prior to storage is because the deposits in the oil are very bad for your engine.

When I change my oil, I use Castrol GTX 10w-40 (personal preference) I buy a 5 litres from Wal Mart. Drain the oil leave in the filter. Add 2.5 liters of oil run for a minute of so. Then drain.
Remove oil filter, add new one. Then fill with remaining oil.
I do this because I have a Dual sport which frequently gets offroad. When I go off road I constantly dump my bike the engine will flood and this leaves unburnt gas in the oil. Not good for the engine . The same can happen on short trips on your bike.

Now I'm not saying to flush your engine at every oil change, but I would consider it for storage purpose's.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 04:34 AM

synthetics

Also - don't use synthetics then go back to regular oil. If you want to go synthetic, stay with it until the end. (Only recommended if you race)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 04:47 AM
Squidwannabe

Re: synthetics

Quote:
Originally posted by thothscribe
Also - don't use synthetics then go back to regular oil. If you want to go synthetic, stay with it until the end. (Only recommended if you race)
Yes, a few years ago this was true. Todays synthetics like Mobil1 can be switch from synthetic back to dino oil with no problems.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 06:56 AM

Cool. thx
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode