Sport Rider's Bike of the Year :WTF?! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Sport Rider's Bike of the Year :WTF?!

I generaly like Sport Rider magazine and usually find it pretty good, but they really dropped the ball (IMO) in their Bike of The Year issue (Decmeber). I mean, holy sh!t. How could they leave out the Mille R, GSX-R 750, Ducati 996s, or even the FZ-1? At first I thought maybe it was new bike of the year, but the R-1 and 'Blade are pretty much carryovers from last year. Wanna read a thorough, thoughful, and well written "bike of the year" comparison, check out Superbike magazines October issue.

Last edited by Hysyde; 10-20-2001 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 06:32 AM

Weird !

Is this the mag that voted for the 1800 Gold Wing ?

If it is, I suggest they change the title to "Motorcycles that can tow caravans".
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead
Is this the mag that voted for the 1800 Gold Wing ?
Actually no, that was Motorcyclist that named the Goldwing Bike of the Year. What's up with that?

Sport Rider concentrates on sportbikes only and is usually a good read.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 07:27 AM

Re: Sport Rider's Bike of the Year :WTF?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hysyde
I generaly like Sport Rider magazine and usually find it pretty good, but they really dropped the ball (IMO) in their Bike of The Year issue (Decmeber). I mean, holy sh!t. How could they leave out the Mille R, GSX-R 750, Ducati 996s, or even the FZ-1? At first I thought maybe it was [i]new[/] bike of the year, but the R-1 and 'Blade are pretty much carryovers from last year. Wanna a read thorough, thoughful, and well written "bike of the year" comparison, check out Superbike magazines October issue.
Yeah, it is a good magazine. Maybe they didn't want to admit that because they have such small (comparatively speaking) circulation that they didn't have the clout to get someone to give them a 996 or Aprilia R. As for the 750 Suzuki, maybe Suzuki didn't want to take a chance on it over shadowing the 1000. Who knows, but you bring up a very good point. Another very good comparo was Cycle World's (I think) recent "Master Blaster" article.

Really, I don't think the FZ-1 is a sportbike in the true sense of the word.

My$.02....
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Actually no, that was Motorcyclist that named the Goldwing Bike of the Year. What's up with that?

Sport Rider concentrates on sportbikes only and is usually a good read.
Crossed wires, Hysyde. I must admit to not buying many U.S. mags as ours are pretty good. Plus when I see some of the prices you guys have to pay for stuff, it kind of ticks me off !
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 12:22 PM

I belive that Sport Rider is owned by Motorcylist and Cycle World. They have the means to get bikes.

Usually if you see an article in one of the mags above, they all have the same article, but written differently.

I think they all pretty much suck anyway. They never really speak badly of any product, wether it's bikes or gear. I don't think they wanna lose ad money.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Busa Rocket
I belive that Sport Rider is owned by Motorcylist and Cycle World. They have the means to get bikes.

Usually if you see an article in one of the mags above, they all have the same article, but written differently.

I think they all pretty much suck anyway. They never really speak badly of any product, wether it's bikes or gear. I don't think they wanna lose ad money.
Sport Rider and Motorcyclist are published by the same company, but I'm pretty sure that they each independantly generate their own tests, comparos, and performance data.

Cycle World is completely independant of these two magazines and is published by a different corporation.

If you don't like American magazines, then maybe you should check out some of the Brit rags.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 01:35 PM

Quote:

[i]If you don't like American magazines, then maybe you should check out some of the Brit rags.
Yeah, some of them have topless women on or near the bike they are featuring.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo079
Yeah, some of them have topless women on or near the bike they are featuring.
Ohhhh? I've never noticed.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 05:42 AM

I noted that Sport Rider didn't include any Kawasaki products, then I reviewed all the pages and found ZERO Kawasaki advertisements...coincidence, not likely.

The Gold Wing was Motorcyclists pick for BOTY for some pretty good reasons. Honda spent a bunch of cash advertising the thing (Nicky Haden TV spots and tons of ink) so you know there is pressure there. However, the GW was a big departure from the old MotoBago versions. It's noticably more nimble and fairly quick. While not my cup of tea, I think it's a good choice for BOTY. Wanna place wagers on the V-Rod for '02?

The SR choice of the GSXR-1000 was a waste of ink for the most part. Duh, like they'd choose anything else. Why bother.

I think the BOTY is whatever you were able to buy

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode