Reasons for a pipe... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Question Reasons for a pipe...

So I want to know how many of you have a pipe and why you got it. Did you get a pipe for looks, performance i.e. hp gain, different sound i.e. louder, or didn't even bother. I will probably get a pipe next season for sound, I want to be heard by those mother's with SUV'S bigger than my appt! That and I do like the looks better. (carbon fiber just looks cool!!) However I don't think I would ever notice the hp gain that some claim. So if you have a pipe or are considering getting one, why did you get it or why would you get it?

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 07:30 AM
Founder

If you only ride on the street I really feel anything more than a slip-on is a waste on time. The money you save would be better spent of rider training, protective gear, and suspension.

If you ride on the track grab the full kit.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 07:47 AM

Roberts right

I believe that the slip is perfect for the street. The increase in sound is the primary reason for the change. I plan on putting just a slip on as soon as I pick up the gixxer 1000. The benefit of the full system on some bikes is the weight savings, but I'm not gaining much so who cares right??

P

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 07:58 AM

a pipe is for hp gain primarily...

an aftermarket pipe is less restrictive on air flow, it opens up the engine to breath like it should...thats why it sounds better too..when you get the pipe, you will notice the gain right away..even a couple of horsies are alot for a 400 lb machine..

a slip on will be fine for you..and i actually would rather have the slipon, usually a full system will give you more peak hp, but a slipon will keep the midrange torque...and the torque is fun to have, (more usable power)

it varies from bike to bike but each manufacturer will usually have spec sheets on their websites to compare power curves...find the one that gives the most bang for the buck...

also, if you get a pipe, a K&N filter is a good idea too, now that your engine can handle more air intake, give it to it...make it breath...aww yea make it run...
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 08:18 AM
elo

Arrow

When I replaced the stock system with a full Hindle system on my 95 YZF, I did notice *some* difference. And then I noticed that it started backfiring. And I just wasn't too happy with it. Hubby's solution was to put in a Stage 1 jet kit. No more backfiring, and it was a bit louder. I didn't really care as long as the stock can was gone. It was really heinous looking.

I noticed a big difference in hp when I put a full system on my SV. But it too started backfiring. Worse than the YZF actually. The jet kit helped, and really smoothed out the flat spot in the lower RPMs.

Soundwise, it's loud now, just the way a V-twin should be!

I think I noticed more of a difference when I changed the exhaust on the SV because Suzuki sells them really "dumbed down" to begin with, as opposed to the 600 cc sportbikes.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 08:24 AM

Have you seen the stock exhaust on a 929? You could anchor a destroyer with that thing. With aftermarket it "feels" crisper and the midrange "feels" a little stronger. But honestly any time you spend money modifying your bike your mind can play funny tricks on you.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 08:45 AM

I always put a pipe on my bikes. I originally did it for sound, to be heard by the cages as you mentioned, and for looks.

Recently, I put a Vance & Hines slip-on on my ZX9 and MAN did it make a difference in the power ~I swear! Ask Sagekiller666 -he rode it before and after the pipe and I didnt say a word and he mentioned the power increase.

Also, the stock pipe MUST be full of lead cuz the weight is incredible.

I like CF cuz you can touch it while hot without tears

So the reasons are:

Safety (sound)
Looks
Weight savings
Maybe clearance
Maybe power increase
and less chance of boo-boos with CF

I agree with Robert in that a slip-on is just fine for the street.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 09:00 AM

The main reason the stock pipes weigh so much is that they are built to last, out of double wall tubing. Usually you lose some power at some point in order to gain some at the top, unless you put some dyno time in. Me, I drilled my stock muffler to give me the sound with no expense, or loss of performance.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAught
The main reason the stock pipes weigh so much is that they are built to last, out of double wall tubing. Usually you lose some power at some point in order to gain some at the top, unless you put some dyno time in. Me, I drilled my stock muffler to give me the sound with no expense, or loss of performance.

I think on this ZX9 the wight has to do with TWO Catalytic Converters (one in the mid pipe and one in the can) ... California
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 11:33 AM

Thumbs down

I put on a pipe after I wore a hole through the stock one. Makes me wonder how a company like Honda could put out such a poorly designed race rep. That stock pipe drags when yo think about going right. I guess I'm the fool that bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode