How many would really recomend boots? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

How many would really recomend boots?

I am curious as to how many of you have and would suggest riding boots? Right now I just ride with my pair of hiking boots and they seem fine. Are they worth the money? Are they comfortable? I mean I know they have to be better protection wise, but how many of you would say they were worth it for street riding?

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 07:50 AM

IMHO, if you do any type of "spirited" riding they are worth the money for the added protection and durability.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 08:06 AM
elo

Question

On that note, what riding boots offer the most protection? Most don't appear to be any safer than my Doc Martens or Nikes.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 08:07 AM

Ouch !

Having broken all of my toes in my left foot while wearing a "quality pair of walking boots" in a spill at not more than 35 mph, I would definetly recommend wearing proper motorcycle boots.

This does not mean that I would have been any better off with proper bike boots on. I'll never know, but it was BLOODY SORE all the same.

Last edited by Smeghead; 10-18-2001 at 08:11 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 08:17 AM

The attached picture shows what happens if you dont wear boots when on your bike. If i had been waring boots my leg would still of broken but i dont think the bones would of come out through the skin and my ankle probally would of not broken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p8190023.jpg (61.0 KB, 315 views)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 08:19 AM

I wore hiking boots for years then one day I broke down and bought a pair of riding boots. I could not believe the difference it made. They feel a lot better, look better, and fit better on the pegs and shifting. I will never be without a pair again.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 08:31 AM

Thumbs up Definite YES

There are quite a number of good reasons to wear good quality riding boots, and the ones mentioned above are some of the best, hairy legs and all.

I got a pair of Prexport boots from NewEnough.com about a year and a half ago, and they really do make a difference. Besides providing more protection than your run-of-the-mill Nikes, boots with vents are cooler and offer a larger area of protection, your feet fit better on the pegs and they provide more and better "armor".

One thing I never thought about until I read it was the fact that because they are generally lighter than say, hiking boots, the don't act as pendulums when you have an unexpected get-off at 120MPH, and your feet are flailing the ground, breaking toes, ankles, and anything else that gets in the way.

That's also the reason you don't want steel toed boots........
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 10:30 AM

I would definitely recommend riding boots. The good ones offer protection for your toes, heels, ankles, and shin. No other type of "street" shoes will have ALL that. Plus, boots for riding give you way better feel for the controls. Not to mention they will give you better protection from the elements. I've seen people wearing tennis shoes and such fall off at less than 35 mph and I swear, both shoes come flying off their pretty white feet!! That reason alone is enough for me to pay the $$ for a good pair of boots.

For entry level boots, I like the Alpinestar's GPS. $170.

There are of course other brands. But the above has most of the protection of their racing boots, and you can walk around in them too.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 11:57 AM

I thought my work boots were adequate but after recently buying a pair of Alpinestars I can see how inadequate they really were. The riding boot offers protection in the impact/contact areas, toe sliders, and easier access to controls. They also are taller so my riding pant legs aren't blowing around in the wind. They were 260.00 on sale for 220.00. Definately worth the investment.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 12:00 PM

Unhappy Thank God for Boots

First weekend in Sept. I was on Mt. Lemon. Following a buddy of mine on a Busa, he ran inside a patch of sand, I ran right through it. Front end washed right out, bike came down on its left side. naturally it landed on my leg/ankle thus driving my knee into the ground. after a brief slide I sat up and surveyed the situation. Leathers had the knee outer torn off, armor showing through, boots had strong abrasions, sliders badly damaged,

me? rug burn on knee and elbow.

Later that evening I noticed soreness on my shin and ankle area. Upon further inspection I noteced a slihgt bruising of both areas. So I pose this question, what injuries would I have sustained wearing hiking boots??

I like the Alpinestars SMX boot. Good value and definite protection!!

The ones I crashed on were the Gaerne Strada boot. Second crash on them and I'll swear by them. Probably will wear them when I get the new gixxer.

P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode