Drive chain - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Smile Drive chain

I was just wondering what kind of mileage people get out of their chains?.I`m still on my original and with 43,505km(27,303miles) on it.I`ve never had a chain last this long in the past,if this is an indication of the longevity of RK chains,I`m buying another.......ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 08:41 PM

Thumbs up R.K. Kicks Ass!

At 15,000 miles, my original chain was stretched all to hell. I replaced it with an R.K. chain. I know that the R.K. is made of a much harder steel (probably higher carbon content), because the old chain was very easy to cut off while the R.K. was very difficult to cut to length. I think that the mileage expectations for your chain can greatly vary depending on how hard you shift and accelerate. Wheelies probably don't help either. I don't know yet how long my chain will last, because I only have 6,000 miles on it now. I can say this: After I replaced the chain with an R.K., I only had to adjust it at 500 miles (break in) and 2,500 miles. It hasn't loosened up enough to re-adjust it yet (that's 3500 miles without an adjustment) !!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 10:49 PM

Question

How often do you guys wax/oil your chain? I am pretty new to this and am very curious as to how religious some of you guys are when it comes to tending to your chain. I try to do it every ride but I usually jump on my bike almost every day and have forgotten a little more than once. Does anyone know some kind of general rule as to how often you lube the chain = how long the chain lasts? Oh, and just to clarify, I am supposed to do this after the ride when the chain is hot right? Thank you,
Dave

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fotobw
How often do you guys wax/oil your chain
I oiled my chain every time I changed my oil and once in between oil changes. Worked out to be about once every two weeks, or twice per 1,500 miles.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 01:17 AM

i oil mine after every ride, but i dont ride mine to work or around town, just to hit the twisties...at least 100 miles every run

lube it while its warm..after the ride and not before, this will allow the lube to seep down into the rings, so its actually doing some good, you can wipe all the excess off since its going to sling off anyway...

if you keep it maintained, you can get quite a few miles out of a good chain, ive always liked D.I.D..
wheelies will stretch one out quick...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 03:09 AM

chain streeeeeeeeeetch.

20.500 and going strong. Mind you, I am getting a little paranoid as my last bike broke it's chain at 12.000 and did a whole lot of damage. Think I'll change it all this winter just in case.

Lubed aprox. every 300 miles but depends on what the weathers been like. If I've had a long ride in the wet stuff I'll lube it sooner.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 03:12 AM
Pete

Re: chain streeeeeeeeeetch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead
20.500 and going strong. Mind you, I am getting a little paranoid as my last bike broke it's chain at 12.000 and did a whole lot of damage. Think I'll change it all this winter just in case.

As inexpensive as a new chain is, I'd say you would be wise to do that.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 03:19 AM

Paranoid

In fact, I'll go and change it right NOW!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 03:34 AM

I have had chains last from 24,000 OEM to 32,000 RK gold. I used to clean and lube and clean it every 300-500 miles based on conditions. More frequently in the rain or after riding on dusty roads. This last chain I have only been lubing every 750 miles unless it gets wet, every time it gets wet. The chain has more tight spots in it than I would like at 15,000 but it should go at least 10,000 more. Generally I check adjustment at each lube and try to keep between 1/4 and 1/2 inch free play.

I have never heard of a chain failing on a street bike before. any idea why it failed.

Rick
NCVFR
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 04:25 AM

BANG !

Quote:
Originally posted by NCVFR

I have never heard of a chain failing on a street bike before. any idea why it failed.
Rick
NCVFR
Well Rick, It was a Yamaha TDM850 and the chain broke the chain guard, left side adjuster and wrapped itself around the drive sprocket.
This stopped the engine with such force that the final drive shaft in the gearbox twisted and was bent out of true. To repair it was an engine out/strip job.

Did I mention I was on the back wheel in 2nd gear at the time ?

I didn't ! DAMN, there goes the sympathy vote !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode