Gatlinburg/Cherokee NC - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Gatlinburg/Cherokee NC

I just returned from a little getaway with the family to the Cherokee NC/Gatlinburg TN area. I noticed tons of bikes that had been trailered up from various states in and around the hotels of the area. The mountains were absolutely beautiful the weather was perfect.

I usually ride the TWO/129 Blood Mountain loop in North Georgia and have never ridden in and around the Gatlinburg/Cherokee area. The roads looked pretty good and traffic was pretty light for Monday. My question is............how many of you folks have ridden the Cherokee/Gatlinburg area and how does it compare to the North Georgia mountians for road quality, twisties, law enforcement, etc.?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 12:19 AM

I prefer the road quality in NC over the Blood Mountain area but just by a little margin. Both areas are awesome. The whole NC/TN/GA region of the Smokey Mountains is great. The law appears to be better in the NC area with the exception of Cherohala Skyway west of Robbinsville, NC. There are more good roads(overall) in the TN/NC region as compared to N GA but Blood Mountain is tough to beat.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 12:29 AM

i know that area very well... i live in Colorado now but i lived in GA all my life and went to NC to ride the very same roads you speak of quite often...

the road between Cherokee and Gatlinburg is great!!!! there is a switchback that is at least 380 degrees, turns around and under itself through a small tunnel...(i miss it so)
the Foothills parkway is great for high-speed sweepers, its just north of the Tenn/NC line..
The Cherohallo (sp?) parkway is awesome as well..

but for the downright nasty ...ahh Deals Gap, baby!!!
318 curves in 11 miles of road...called the "Dragon"
Hwy 129 right on the Tenn/NC line..the same road runs all the way to N. GA...there is a T.W.O. campsite with a few rooms on the NC side and you will meet people from all over, the guy who runs it, hmm forgot his name..is a great guy...if the group is small, he'll catch fresh trout and open the "Dragons Lair" for the bikers to hang out and talk shop...

compared to N GA, its just more, more curves, more mountains..and its only 3.5 hours north of Atlanta..

just dont go on the holidays...bumper to bumper traffic, very frustrating...if you hit it right, you can have the dragon all to yourself and run it many times throughout the day...

as far as law enforcement, the Dragon has chewed up some cop cars (you can see pictures in the store at the campsite)...so they pretty much gave up..but the surrounding areas are patrolled..the Fontana area has had its bad moments, you can read some stories on the AMA site.... if you ride somewhat responsibly, you'll be fine...just dont act stupid with traffic around, thats their main concern...

Deals Gap is about an hour from the Cherokee/Gatlinburg area, all the roads in between are great...get up there asap...

ive told all my friends in CO about it..its worth the drive just to ride the Dragon...

http://www.dealsgap.com/
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

damn i wish i had my pictures here at work so i could show you guys...
http://www.killboy.com
they have some great pocketbike runs through the Dragon..hilarious

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 01:55 AM

I ride all of the areas of TN/GA/NC and I like them all. Right now on the weekends with the changing of the colors I try to avoid the high traffic areas like the Cherohala, Gatlinburg, and the area around Helen cause if you want to ride you will not get anywhere but if you like to look and smell the fumes from the car in front of you then this is the time to go. The weekdays are great all year round but most of the time the weekends in spring, summer, and fall can be bad unless you ride early in the morning and find the roads that are less traveled.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 02:38 AM

Next time you're at Deal's Gap, tell Duncan and Mike that the guys from Missouri who got beer from the lodge said Hi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode